The Executioner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketeer41

Reaction score
One week ago my dad called me and my brother to see the rockets we ordered.:) My dad said " Before you get your D-Region Tomahawk, what rocket do you want?":pop: So I said '' The Executioner.'':bangbang: It is skill level 3.:y: It is 38.5 inches tall.:cyclops: It is 2.6 inches in diameter.;) It runs on E engines.:bangpan: So it's hard for me.:mad: Soars up to 590 feet.:cheers: Besides, all the other rockets I have Soar higher than my Executioner.:jaw: I'm on step 4 of my rocket.:2:

Thats a pretty sweet rocket, that was the first mid powered rocket I bought when I got back into the hobby, a very nice flying bird it flys much better on composite E's then it does on estes E9's.

I stuffed a 29mm motor mount in mine it has flown on every thing from an E to an H. :) One thing I have had to change my body tube from an Estes to a LOC.

I stuffed a 29mm motor mount in mine it has flown on every thing from an E to an H. :) One thing I have had to change my body tube from an Estes to a LOC.
I have been thinking of doing a 29mm one either that or a 29mm Super Bertha which I have another kit sitting here waiting to be built.I figure I will stick with the surface mounted fins and just paper them for extra strength but the stock estes fins balsa isn't the greatest in this kit so I may swap it out with better balsa or maybe basswood.

I have been thinking of doing a 29mm one either that or a 29mm Super Bertha which I have another kit sitting here waiting to be built.I figure I will stick with the surface mounted fins and just paper them for extra strength but the stock estes fins balsa isn't the greatest in this kit so I may swap it out with better balsa or maybe basswood.

You could also use the 3mm plywood available from Micheal's Crafts. About the same weight as the basswood, but stronger

You could also use the 3mm plywood available from Micheal's Crafts. About the same weight as the basswood, but stronger
I would just need to figure out a way to cut it, I seem to have lost track of my jigsaw which is the only tool I have that could cut it.

I would just need to figure out a way to cut it, I seem to have lost track of my jigsaw which is the only tool I have that could cut it.

It's slightly less then 1/8" thick. An Exacto knife, even with a new blade might be a lot of work, but a utility knife (with a new blade) should work. I would make sure I cut outside the lines, made lots of shallow cuts, and sanded it to final shape. Shouldn't be much harder to do then the same thickness of basswood.

The fins are 3/16" thick. The fins in both of my Executioner kits are fine. What's wrong with yours?

The only problem I have encountered with the kit is that the fin slots are only 1/8" wide. (I had the same problem with my Fat Boy.) I had to cut a strip off of one side of each slot to widen them.

MK

Here is a pic of my Executioner,It flies great on D12s to F24s
I changed up the paint to metalflake yellow and black. used basswood for the fins. and a nylon chute. Great kit.huvars ex.jpg

Last edited:
I have been thinking of doing a 29mm one either that or a 29mm Super Bertha which I have another kit sitting here waiting to be built.

I built a 29mm fat boy. If I am remembering correctly, I used the original fins with a layer of epoxy on them (I didn't have any fiberglass). I left the rest unmodified. It flew just fine on a G80. :D

I also have a fat boy modified to use a 38mm motor mount. I modified it pretty heavily with plywood fins and a modified nose cone. I haven't been able to fly that one yet.

But my favorite one is the fat boy that I put a 24mm motor mount in and three 18 mm motor mounts. I use a composite central motor and three C6's. I use flashpan ignition on this one.

Skip to 4 minutes in this video for the launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud1gIDmh3zw&feature=related

It's a really fun rocket.

Sorry, that was a bit long. On to the build thread. :blush:

Sam

I remember that launch Sam. Your launches are always something to look forward to. I hope to see you at MIS. Here is a photo of something similar I did with a Big Daddy. I put a wrap of 2oz glass on the air frame and Kevlar veil on the fins. Some weight in the nose of course. I am going to try and cluster ignite it with the new Quest igniters. If that does not work I will flash pan it . I never flash panned a rocket so I could use your help if I do it.new builds 006.jpg

I remember that launch Sam. Your launches are always something to look forward to. I hope to see you at MIS. I never flash panned a rocket so I could use your help if I do it.View attachment 20533

Thank you. Looks like a cool build. I am pretty sure the Q2 igniters should work, but flashpan is more fun. I should be at the next launch. I'll show you then. :cool:

Sam

Cool. Thanks Sam . See you at the next launch. I have some 4F Goex If we do the flashpan ignition.

I like to fly my executioner on an F21's it's only mod's are a skyward baffle, 30" chute with a spill hole and Kevlar shock cord. Sweet bark when it takes off.

Rocketeer41, I saw your executioner last night drying some glue fillets on top of the boiler. Looking good. That is one BIG rocket.

Ah yes, the Executioner. One of my favorite birds. They LOVE F39's and go very high on one.

She was my 1st mid-power bird and I miss her so, ever since I lost her in a CATO last year. :(

Fortunately I have 3 more waiting in the build pile. ;)

Ah yes, the Executioner. One of my favorite birds. They LOVE F39's and go very high on one.

She was my 1st mid-power bird and I miss her so, ever since I lost her in a CATO last year. :(

Fortunately I have 3 more waiting in the build pile. ;)

I lost mine on a night flight with a strobe going :( I have 2 awaiting the same build. I thought about making one 29mm but it is great with 24mm.

I'm getting ready to get back to my Executioner build.

Yup, any day now. :rolleyes:

MK

Hi guys.:clap: After a few weeks of hard work on my rocket, like primer, filler, sanding and all kinds of stuff you do with your rocket.:eek: I was thinking of a paint scheme for my rocket.:bangpan: But now I've got it in my head.:cheers: Here are today's photos of me working on my rocket:

First picture: My rocket before wet sanding ( I'm holding my rocket next to me vertically).

Second picture: Now I'm holding my rocket horizontally (before wet sanding).:D

Third and fourth pictures: Here's the rear end of my rocket before wet sanding.

Fifth picture: Here I am wet sanding my rocket.

IMGP0903.JPG

IMGP0905.JPG

IMGP0906.JPG

IMGP0909.JPG

IMGP0911a.jpg

Guess why I wet sanded my rocket. Because the orange paint and the clear coat on the nose cone turned dull when it dried.

Last edited:
Nice ,really nice ! The paint job looks pretty cool. I know what you mean ,and I think many of us have been down that "sand & re-paint " road before.I had to sand and re-paint my 4" IRIS 4 times (nosecone and nose cone extension) because of the clear coat not stickinjg to the chrome paint and paint bleeding through my masking paper and so on and so on (finally getting it put together)

Pretty messy work ,is it not !!!

Take care & happy launching !

Paul

Rocketeer41, Your rocket is looking great. The clear we applied last night turned kinda dull to a satin sheen when it dried but I think we can just polish it with some No. 7. I really like your placement of the decals and your own custom paint scheme. Your executioner is one awesome looking rocket.

I think the paints and clearcoats dulled up because we applied them on very humid days. Remember, the paint and clear coats we applied on very dry days stayed glossy.

A few days ago we launched my Executioner (for the first time)! I launched it 2 times. These are the pictures from that day:

Picture #1: Executioner on the launch pad ready for 1st flight on an E9-4.
Picture #2: Executioner landed in the tall weeds ( which was good because the parachute didn't open completely).
Picture #3: Liftoff on another E9-4 ( It was a perfect flight at about 600 ft.).
Picture #'s 4 and 5: The parachute opened correctly for a good landing.

IMGP1651.jpg

IMGP1653.jpg

IMGP1676.jpg

IMGP1678.jpg

IMGP1684.jpg

Rocketeer41, those were some awesome flights. I can't wait to fly that rocket with you again.

The Executioner is probably my favorite basic kit. It takes the place of what the Big Bertha was back in the 70s/80s: a big dramatic rocket that is easy to build (love the fin slots) and dramatic to fly. Not cheap at $32-50, but really satisfying, especially if you spring for Aerotech motors that add a little more punch, like an E30.
A couple of years ago, I even created a small booster stage for mine, with its own parachute, but no fins (the Executioner's fins are huge, I think it's over-stable.) Had some very cool flights with that setup.

Latest posts

Back