The Executioner Project...1st Midpower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEntity1

Reaction score
I stopped by Hobby Town today. I picked up some 15 minute epoxy, but my main purpose there was to see if they had any Aerotech rockets in stock. They were still out, and said that they were unlikely to get any in soon. I then asked the store manager if they could order an Aero Mustang for me, and how long it would take. He called Aerotech themselves to find out for me, but it turned out that Aerotech would not be able to send him one until the end of January :( ... so I decided to grab one of the 2 Estes Executioners he had in stock, instead :)

For my first midpower, the Aerotech Mustang or Tomahawk had been my first choice, followed possibly by the LOC graduator. However among just Estes rockets, the Executioner would my first choice, and a pretty decent choice overall...I've seen 'em fly, and they are pretty sweet :D.

So...the Executioner will be my first mid-power rocket. However, I intend to build my fliskits deuce, first :D

PS: I should probably stop buying rockets until I finish the ones I already have, lol :p

PS: I should probably stop buying rockets until I finish the ones I already have, lol

ROTFLLMAO!!!

That's funny man, my sides hurt..."don't buy more rockets 'til the ones you have are built"...HaHaHa...man, really funny...

Oh, Crap...you're serious?:confused:

You are new here!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
ROTFLLMAO!!!

That's funny man,

Oh, Crap...you're serious?:

You are new here!

Now, that is funny......... I don't think there is MANY people here that don't have more un-built rocket than built ones.......

Great choice on the Executioner! Two suggestions - get a LOC 24mm motor tube and kevlar for the recovery, and fly it on 24mm reloads...

NewEntity1,
Why not buy your AT rockets online? Probably cheaper and probably at your house in 5-7 working days, if not sooner.

Well, since I have the executioner now, I'm all 'spent out' for the time being :D

However, come February I might place an order with Hobbylink for a Mustang or Tomahawk or...since I already have the Executioner as my 'first' mid-level, maybe even something bigger ;)

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I don't think there is MANY people here that don't have more un-built rocket than built ones.......

You know...I think I just crossed that line...

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to buying more rockets that I can build. It's so bad that my biggest concern right now is that the stack of rockets on top is weighing down on the rockets on the bottom! Most of my kits are stored vertically to avoid having a bunch of kits with out-of-round body tubes. At some point when the girlfriend isn't around I need to pull out all my kits and place them in large Rubbermaid containers.

Back on topic - I personally own an Executioner and am actually anxious to build it. I have a nice 24/40 RMS casing that I want to start using more frequently. E11s and E18s should do wonders on the Executioner. After having crashed my "The Launch Pad" HAWK MIM23A, I need to fill the MPR void in my fleet.

Best of luck on your build. You should post some pics of it completed. I haven't seen very many stock painted and decaled Exectioners.

The Executioner was my first MPR bird as well. Great flyer.

The only mod I did to mine was added a heavy duty shock cord. I used all the stock parts (including MMT). I did use 15 min. epoxy to construct it.

Here's its maiden flight (in its undies even): https://www.rocketryforum.com/jmyers/album/?display=Whitakers 2-23-02/executioner at liftoff.jpg

I only flew it once on the E-9 it was designed for. What a great flight!

I typically flew it on RMS E-28's and a couple of F-12's.

Here's a pic of an F-12 take off

You'll love that rocket!!

At some point when the girlfriend isn't around I need to pull out all my kits and place them in large Rubbermaid containers.

Eugene,

That doesn't always work either. Recently I got into "collecting" some of the old classic plastic models I had as a kid so now I need more Rubbermain tubs!

I'm up to 10 of the 22 gallon size tubs! And they are all FULL!

Fortunately my old hobby is coming in handy. All of my plastic tubs "just fit" under my old model railroad layout.

My current problem is storing my finished models.

sandman

Yes! The Executioner is a GREAT rocket! I fly mine usually when I have a extra motor, be it a D12, E9, F21...

If you build it stock, I have no doubt it would be able to survive a F39T RMS motor. Mine was the first rocket I had ever done any fiberglassin on, since I glassed the fin fillets, then covered them over with putty fillers. It's not the best looking rocket in the world, but dang does it fly good! I modified mine by having it come down in two sections, which probably was its undoing, as on it's last flight before repairs, a powerful D15 ejection charge blew the bulkhead out and the top body tube crashed. (There's quite a story behind that ejection charge.) Anyways, build it tough, and she will be your workhorse for a long time!

Jason

Shoot...I forgot to attach the pics I have. This was it's last flight on a D15T with a over powerful ejection charge.

EDIT: I can't find the first flight picture right now. If I do, I'll post it!

Jason

Wow! This thread really took off :)

It looks like the Executioner is popular with a lot of folks, as well :D

Since this will be my first Mid-power, the only mods I'm planning are 1) a 3-part shock cord system (steel leader tied to 2' of 1/4" nylon tied to a snap swivel, with the kit's original Estes elastic then being tied to that), 2) a 24" nylon LOC parachute, and 3) epoxy construction, just like Jase. I also use 15 minute epoxy...although in the unheated shed that is currently around 45 degrees, its more like 30 minute epoxy :D

I have a nice 24/40 RMS casing that I want to start using more frequently.

Cool :cool: Hang on to that! They seem to be real tough to find, these days :eek:

I'll probably stick to SUs since this is my first midpower, and tackle re-loadable systems for my second mid-power a month or two from now.

Oh yeah, one other thing about Estes engine hooks and AT RMS motors....

File or cut off the top part of the hook. When it pokes through the side wall of the MMT, it won't let the AT motors get in all the way. You'll need to wrap tape around the aft end of the motor as a push ring.

I recently got lucky and had a friend pick up (2) executioners at 1/2 off from hobby lobby, so I got 2 for the price of 1.... and then I got into a small group buy of components with a 35% off coupon...

I am building it so that it can do DEFGH motors.....
D12,E9,E30,F21,G35/38,and also be my L1 on a H128 ....

It is being built as a 2 part anti zipper baffle design as seen here:

https://www.info-central.org/construction_antizipper.shtml

There is going to be a full length LOC/ASP 29mm motor tube the length of the bottom section, with 1/8" lite ply centering rings....

I plan on sanding off the glassine and then applying a couple thin coats of epoxy finishing resin and allow it to soak into the paper real good....homemade phenolic.....I have used this technique i the past and also one where you apply finishing resin inside out..... it creates a heatresisitant and very strong touch body tube...

I may decide to apply 1 layer .5oz fiberglass for the 2nd one....

It sims to 3k ft (.9km) at .924 mach.......with the H128.....

I also have a small xeon strobe light (21grams) that I may try to attach ..... and a small pratt micro beacon..... sight and sound to help recovery it!

eventually I would like to build an executioner and use dual stage deployment with an altimeter...I own a picoalt altimeter....

I will take pics as I build and post them either here or on a website for you to see...

this is my 2004 year project.........

I really like the Executioner,I've had 4 flights on mine (2 E18 and 2 F23),
the bt above the fins is starting to weaken from landing stress
next one I plan to put some balsa stiffeners in to still keep it light
because It flys great on the E9 also !

I took a little different route with the paint scheme

Thats a nice paint job :)

I'm thinking of replacing the Estes centering rings with some Loc plywood ones. I hope I can do this and still keep it light enough to still fly on an Estes E9. My anticipated engine range for this project is anywhere from a D12 to an F21. If I had planned to 'G' rate this rocket, I would have gone with both Loc plywood centering rings and the stronger Loc 2.56" body tubes as well. However, I'm keeping this rocket nearly stock, since it's my first mid-power, and I also would like to have 1 mid-power rocket that can fly low-power when needed, as well. My second midpower project (which will be in a month or two) will be a full-blown mid-power with 29mm mount. I think I know what I plan to get for that as well ;)

The only changes from stock on the Executioner that I've planned so far are:

1) Re-vamped shock-cord system
2) Nylon parachute (Loc)
3) Full epoxy construction
4) Loc 2.56"-0.95" centering rings

I believe the Estes BT80 is ever so slightly larger than 2.56" though :confused: ... we need a group like the IEEE setting standards for construction material diameters :D

Very cool looking Executioner, the Executioner is a very nice kit, easy to build, and fun to fly

So I've watched this thread enough, that it made me bump my Executioner up to at least next~N~line to be built status...once I finish my sons Richter Recker.

So warm out today, I believe I will have to schedule some paint time for all the birds I have built so far.

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
So I've watched this thread enough, that it made me bump my Executioner up to at least next~N~line to be built status...once I finish my sons Richter Recker.

So warm out today, I believe I will have to schedule some paint time for all the birds I have built so far.

NewEntity, have also been following along and now you have caused me to get the bug also to build a mid power. I am seriously looking at getting a PML Callisto or Explorer to make the jump with. I have heard they are great for L1 test also.

John, how warm is it? :) Yesterday it hit 50, so did manage to get primer on the six I had ready for paint :D Then at 3 in the afternoon it dropped to 47 and began to rain. This am its 30 :(

John, how warm is it?

63 yesterday, and 68 today...Humidity will be on the high side though...I will at least get a primer coat on a coupla birds.

Before I start the Executioner, I will need to finish my sons Richter Recker, my Mustang, and start the Vaughn Brothers BoB rocket (Ballistic or Bust) Then the Executioner, and maybe the Hydra VII when it come in :D

Another fan of the Executioner. I have a stock one built and another in the bag under my bed. Love the stock one, it flies great on Estes E's. The other one will be getting a 29mm motor mount and probably an extra body tube. However, I'm also one that has more or as many kits in bags than completed rockets, so who knows when it will get built.

Richter Recker needs paint, V2 may be next to build, new Estes military kits in line also, still haven't ordered a Tres, the Nomad and ACME is begging to be built, and I just started an upscale 24mm Deuce. It's a shame us humans have to sleep.

Tim

I am seriously looking at getting a PML Callisto or Explorer to make the jump with.

Very interesting! The PML Callisto is also on my list of 'eventual rockets to get' :D. I was planning for that kit sometime around April or May though, to have it ready for RockStock here in Southern California in June.

Between now and that time I have the Executioner to build (I'll start that as soon as the Bertha Mod is finished), possibly a Loc Graduator, possibly a small Aerotech rocket (to get a broad feel for the different building techniques out there), and a bunch of little rockets to build :D

Originally posted by NewEntity1
I was planning for that kit sometime around April or May though, to have it ready for RockStock here in Southern California in June.

If I start building the Callisto now, I could have it painted by June :)

When and where in June is the RockStock? A web page any where with info?

Here is the rockstock homepage:

https://www.rocstock.org/rocstock.html

It's an event once a year at Lucerne Dry Lake in California. Possibly the biggest Pacific West event after BALLS :)

ROC, NAR #538 and Tripoli #48, also apparently launches once per month from Lucerne. I had planned to go to my first High Power launch (just to spectate) on January 10th...but unless I can get my tire replaced before then, It's not going to happen (metal is showing through *a lot* :( ).

At any rate, I'm off to see Lord of the Rings "Return of the King" this evening. The movie is 3 and a half hours long! :eek: :p

Originally posted by NewEntity1
At any rate, I'm off to see Lord of the Rings "Return of the King" this evening. The movie is 3 and a half hours long! :eek: :p

Don't give away the plot until after Tuesday. The wife and I are going to wait until then to see it - the kids will be back in school (everyone else, not ours :))

Thanks for the site will check it out. Possible the wife and I might be able to come down for it. Would be a good time to meet you, so get that tire fixed before June.

Originally posted by slim_t
Another fan of the Executioner. . . The other one will be getting a 29mm motor mount and probably an extra body tube.

I built one with a 29mm mount and flew it with an old AT F. It left the county. I have a couple more still in their bags, and will be limiting my future construction to 24mm mounts, and hope to actually get them back for a re-flight!

Originally posted by powderburner
I built one with a 29mm mount and flew it with an old AT F. It left the county.

Really? A guy in our club has one built with a 29 and it has a lighter balsa nose cone. I don't know what motors he flies in it. Sadly, the only time I saw it launch it CATO'd as it left the pad.
He repaired it, but the next time I saw him, it was too windy too fly it.
Thinking about the weight of my Initiator compared to the Executioner, I would guess an F20-25 would get it to at least 2000 ft. That's reasonable given a large enough field.
We'll see, but it'll probably be a while. And hey, if I do lose it, I've still got the stock one.

Tim

Back