• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

The Estes Scout

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal Jeff

Reaction score
Hi,

My son has asked if we can build and launch some rockets. I am what is called a Born Again Rocketter. I want to build a rocket that has renforced wing roots. If I remember correctly the Estes Scout used gauze to renforce the wing roots and simple tumble recovery. I could probably scratch build one but I need a a set of plans to get the CG and CP correct.

Any help would be appreciated. 5,4,3,2,1,,go baby go

Cal Jeff, we are happy to have you join in here, and hope to see you come back many more times.

If you are wanting to re-create an old model kit, there are plans posted online in several places. Many include fin patterns and images of decals. For the old Estes Scout, check out:

https://www.dars.org/JimZ/k-01.htm

JimZ also has many other old Estes and Centuri kit plans, and you can also look for old plans at Ye Olde Rocketry Forum and several other websites. Google is a wonderful thing.

I am not so sure that you need to use gauze to reinforce the fin roots for most models. I think the Scout used gauze because the burned out motor case was retained in the rocket for descent, and the extra weight (even if the rocket was tumbling) can make for a rough impact.

However, if I am remembering the Scout design correctly, the fins were pretty thick. If you sand the roots flat, and fit the fins to the body tube well, a root joint made with regular white or yellow glue will be very strong. If anything is going to break, it will probably be the carboard body tube itself splitting apart before the glue joint fails or the thick balsa fin cracks. But if the kit plans say to use gauze, then you should probably follow the instructions.

Hope some of this helped---come on back anytime!

BTW, just in case you did not know, Hobby Lobby is running another special this week (through Saturday night). Go to their website, print as many of their 40% off coupons as you want, and get some model rocket kits or motors at bargain prices.

Hi,

My son has asked if we can build and launch some rockets. I am what is called a Born Again Rocketter. I want to build a rocket that has renforced wing roots. If I remember correctly the Estes Scout used gauze to renforce the wing roots and simple tumble recovery. I could probably scratch build one but I need a a set of plans to get the CG and CP correct.

Any help would be appreciated. 5,4,3,2,1,,go baby go

I'm not anti-cloning, but for this specific rocket you really ought to use this as an excuse to get yourself hooked on Semroc. The link JAL posted is for a beautiful tribute to Vern and Gleda Estes and has some great history packed into it. Read a few online reviews here. There was also quite a bit of chatter about it, lots of build pics, etc. posted over on https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2917 and https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3599.

You can't get the autographed certificate with it at this point, but can still get a wonderful reproduction of that kit you so fondly recall.

I was pleased to be able to participate in Semroc's tribute to Vern and Gleda Estes. Carl had a really cool idea and implemented it well.

I have a video of the flight of my Semroc 50th Anniversary Golden Scout on my site:

Golden Scout #1096

-- Roger

Ah, the good old Estes Astron Scout. My very first model rocket back in 1968, which is why it has a place in my heart. I was thrilled to see it's revival last year during the Golden Scout campaign. Thing is, as much as I loved that rocket - I think I only ever got to actually tumble one time! Every other time it kicked the motor completely and then it would display fantastic aerodynamics on it's way back down. Staright as an arrow every time! :eek:

Roger, I just watched your video of your Golden Scout launch as well as the outtakes. Fantastic stuff!! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Ah, the good old Estes Astron Scout. My very first model rocket back in 1968, which is why it has a place in my heart. I was thrilled to see it's revival last year during the Golden Scout campaign. Thing is, as much as I loved that rocket - I think I only ever got to actually tumble one time! Every other time it kicked the motor completely and then it would display fantastic aerodynamics on it's way back down. Staright as an arrow every time! :eek:

Roger, I just watched your video of your Golden Scout launch as well as the outtakes. Fantastic stuff!! Thanks for sharing.

I bought and built two Golden Scouts and flew both on the 1/2A6-2's; both flew perfectly, with that classic tumble from ejection to touchdown. The one
painted golden, will probably be retired. The black and yellow one (painted the same as my original Astron Scout from 1969) will very likely fly many more
times.

Challenger Needville Launch July 13th 012.jpg

Challenger Needville Launch July 13th 015.jpg

Challenger Needville Launch July 13th 051.jpg

Challenger Needville Launch July 13th 056.jpg

Challenger Needville Launch July 13th 059.jpg

Back