- Apr 26, 2016
- Reaction score
OK, here it is My first foray into BAR-dom. This is the restoration and revitalization of my first ever model rocket from 1973,
the Estes Mini-Brute Hornet.
Since this model will have spanned my entire model rocket career, its been designated as the official flagship of the fleet. As such, I have placed number decals on each of the fins, designating my old NAR number (25180), and the Nar section I used to belong to (331).
OK, so if this was my first model, why is it number 13? Glad you asked
This rocket was purchased already built by the owner of the local hobby store who had it on display. Along with this model, I recall purchasing a Mosquito kit and a Starblazer kit (the old K-31 version).
I didnt begin sequence-numbering my rocket collection until I had about a dozen builds under my belt. For some odd reason, the Hornet got inserted at # 13 .
This model was one of two that I kept when I dropped out of the hobby in 1984. It spent all of the intervening years rattling around in a RubberMaid tote with a lot of other stuff, getting pretty roached in the process.
The re-build consisted of:
Cutting and installing two new fins
Beefing up a loose payload section nose block,
Repairing and filling the old slit-tube shock cord mount
Sanding and finishing the main booster section
Installing a new shock cord and mount
Paint touch up on the white stripes
Applying decals The Hornet decal was made from a Dymo Labeler using clear labeling tape. A little thicker than I like, but it works. The numbers are dry transfer from pinewood derby decal sheets found at Hobby Lobby)
Applying Gloss Sauce (Pledge w/Future and Simple Green)
This 43 year old model cleaned up pretty nice .
This is an old photo of the Hornet from 1975 or so....
As found in early May of this year....
The old-school slit tube shock cord mount.
This has gotta go....
A couple of new fins....
Primed and ready.....