The Eggtimer Proton Advanced Flight Computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only request to the new, good looking, easy to navigate website is for board lay-outs / hole patterns.. (Or to append the manuals with this info..)

My only request to the new, good looking, easy to navigate website is for board lay-outs / hole patterns.. (Or to append the manuals with this info..)
That's the plan, along with the cream layer Gerbers. We've had a bunch of requests for those too, from people that want to reflow solder the boards.

Looks great, Cris! The new website looks great too.

...would love to know more about the telemetry option (does that mean it gets paired with an Eggfinder TX to downlink data to the LCD, or something else [TRS or otherwise])?
I've been curious about this for a long time too. Will this & your other flight computers (Quantum/Quark) be able to output to an Eggfinder or Eggfinder Mini to send telemetry to an Eggfinder Rx LCD?

Last edited:
Looks like you might have eliminated one of (my only!!) comment on your products; the mounting hole spacing next to components. I found the Mini, the Quark, and the Quantum all had their mounting holes right up against a component, so that just about any screw used to mount it, it's head clashed with said board mounted component.

just a note, a 2-56 filister head or socket head screw along with a #2 nylon washer gives you enough top board clearance for the quark and eggfinder mini (it is what I include in my sleds for those devices). I need to take a look at the quantum and see what is required there...

Last edited:
The Assembly Guide has been posted, along with the cream Gerbers. Had a good testing session today, including an unintended power-prang with a 2-motor cluster (delayed ignition on one of the motors), the accelerometer recorded it right up until it hit the ground and sheared the battery wires off (no damage to the board). Assuming some HPR testing goes as intended next weekend, Protons should be shipping Thanksgiving week.

Cris, Is the WiFi current consumption still in the 85 mA range like the Quantum? In gather this is mostly Bluetooth. If that were the case, are there any thoughts on migrating to Bluetooth Low Energy at some point?

Cris, Is the WiFi current consumption still in the 85 mA range like the Quantum? In gather this is mostly Bluetooth. If that were the case, are there any thoughts on migrating to Bluetooth Low Energy at some point?
Yup, WiFi takes a lot of power, especially with a 100 mW output. It also has a lot of range... I've picked up the signal at almost 200' from the pads, although 100' is pretty typical. You don't get the same range with BLE, and you need to write an app. Actually, you need to write several apps... one for each platform. With WiFi, no apps... just your browser. You don't have to worry about having an obsolete app or one that doesn't match your altimeter's firmware, because there isn't one. As far as the battery goes, LiPo's are small, cheap, and have plenty of capacity, so having to use a little bit larger battery is ususally more of a slight inconvenience than a deal breaker.

Telemetry will be in the next release, early next year, it will be enhanced over the other altimeters. There will be a companion LCD receiver firmware release to go with it.

@Cris,
This looks like a great addition. It's on my Christmas list for sure. I'm interested in the telemetry as well and have a question. How will the proton work onboard a rocket with a eggfinder as well? Will you be able to switch between the eggfinder and the proton from the LCD RX, or will the LCD RX have to be tied to one or the other?
Again, great innovation in all your products!
Dave

Got mine today. Doesn't look any harder than an EggTimer TRS (I built three of those) Read the instructions. I kinda like the "standoff" approach to
the WiFi modules. After dorking a Quantum this could avoid soldering shorts that can occur under the module. (Built four of those too.)
Building is on hold for now as there is a family health emergency although it isn't me this time.
Oh, the building instructions for the Proton look very nice. Pics with the text this time and generally nice closeup photos for chip orientation.
Although resistors don't matter!:confused:. I'm going to have to clean out my pyrex cake/casserole pan to build it in: https://www.target.com/p/pyrex-15-x...Vj6_ICh3Q6QJrEAQYBCABEgKnQfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Has a bunch of junk parts in there now.
I've generally been lucky to flip a part and it stays within the pan and white paper under the pan helps in "zeroing" in on it. Kurt

"My new EggTimer is here! My new EggTimer is here!"

newphonebook.gif

Back