The Eggtimer ION - A $20 WiFi-Enabled Flight Logger

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Eggtimer Rocketry is proud to announce the Eggtimer ION, a WiFi-enabled flight logger. Similar to the Eggtimer Quantum but without the deployment channels, the ION logs altitude, velocity, and flight events at 20 samples per second, and records up to 15 flights. Because it’s WiFi, you can download data to just about any WiFi/browser enabled device, with no Internet or apps required.

At only 22 mm x 38 mm and about 6 grams, it’s easy to add flight data logging to just about any rocket. It’s easy to wrap up into a small chute protector with the battery, or your can mount it to a sled in a more “classic” AV bay. It uses a small 400 mAH 1S LiPo. It auto-arms for flight after 60 seconds, and can also be remotely armed/disarmed if you want. In addition, you can also connect it to the Eggtimer Telemetry Module and get real-time telemetry (altitude, velocity, apogee, etc.) using an Eggfinder LCD receiver.

Like all Eggtimer Rocketry products, it’s sold as a kit… however it ‘s one of our easiest full-SMT kits to assemble, with all 1206-sized parts, and only one SOIC-8 chip. Price for the Eggtimer ION kit is $20, the 400 mAH battery is $6. They should be available in the next few days... we're working on kitting them up.

As usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

IMG_3766a.JPG

Oh Cris - I’m going to have to try one.

How much average current does it draw? I’m thinking about smaller power cells for a small, light installation.

It's about 70 mA, like the other WiFi devices. You can use the same 110 mAH battery that we sell for the Apogee, it's good for about 1 1/2 hours, or you can get a bigger one, maybe 300-400 mAH. I'm going to be selling a suitable LiPo, figuring out which one to stock... most of the distributors don't have much in the way of LiPo's on hand right now.

I was working on building my own version of this using an ESP32 dev board but you obviously beat me to it 😀
Will definitely be ordering one. Anyone have an stl file for something like a 28mm sled design?

Eggtimer Rocketry is proud to announce the Eggtimer ION, a WiFi-enabled flight logger. Similar to the Eggtimer Quantum but without the deployment channels, the ION logs altitude, velocity, and flight events at 20 samples per second, and records up to 15 flights. Because it’s WiFi, you can download data to just about any WiFi/browser enabled device, with no Internet or apps required.

At only 22 mm x 38 mm and about 6 grams, it’s easy to add flight data logging to just about any rocket. It’s easy to wrap up into a small chute protector with the battery, or your can mount it to a sled in a more “classic” AV bay. It uses a small 400 mAH 1S LiPo. It auto-arms for flight after 60 seconds, and can also be remotely armed/disarmed if you want. In addition, you can also connect it to the Eggtimer Telemetry Module and get real-time telemetry (altitude, velocity, apogee, etc.) using an Eggfinder LCD receiver.

Like all Eggtimer Rocketry products, it’s sold as a kit… however it ‘s one of our easiest full-SMT kits to assemble, with all 1206-sized parts, and only one SOIC-8 chip. Price for the Eggtimer ION kit is $20, the 400 mAH battery is $6. They should be available in the next few days... we're working on kitting them up.

As usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

View attachment 467458

Just in time for my Bday / Fday haul. Perfect Timing. Now if the weather will just cooperate… Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for… flight.

Cris, it looks like your ION "Read more HERE" link isn't working on your Altimeters & Av Bay Stuff page. The strong is there, but the href isn't.

Congrats on the new product - looks great!

@cerving
This is great! Kind of like a little black box!
Any chance of an accelerometer addition on the roadmap?
Be great to be able to look at motor thrust curves for research/EX motor validation.

Thanks,
Dave

You can do that with the Proton. The ION is really designed for the motor-eject/LPR/MPR crowd, who wouldn't normally have any electronics at all in their projects. For EX, you really want at least 100 samples/sec... that's beyond what the Proton does, but there are ways that could be done (at the expense of burning more memory, of course). Or, maybe we could make a "deluxe" datalogger... and maybe we already have something on the drawing board...

You can do that with the Proton. The ION is really designed for the motor-eject/LPR/MPR crowd, who wouldn't normally have any electronics at all in their projects. For EX, you really want at least 100 samples/sec... that's beyond what the Proton does, but there are ways that could be done (at the expense of burning more memory, of course). Or, maybe we could make a "deluxe" datalogger... and maybe we already have something on the drawing board...

Love that you are always innovating Cris! One of the best in the hobby!

Back