The earths core has stopped spinning!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The magnetic poles have flipped a few times in the past. I remember reading that we were slightly past the average time since this has happened in the past.
Here it is:
“During a pole reversal, Earth’s magnetic north and south poles swap locations. While that may sound like a big deal, pole reversals are common in Earth’s geologic history. Paleomagnetic records tell us Earth’s magnetic poles have reversed 183 times in the last 83 million years, and at least several hundred times in the past 160 million years. The time intervals between reversals have fluctuated widely, but average about 300,000 years, with the last one taking place about 780,000 years ago.”
https://climate.nasa.gov/ask-nasa-c...ic-field-arent-causing-todays-climate-change/

The Earth's magnetic field has been slowly collapsing for the past 100 years or so. The North Pole is moving south and South Pole is moving north. No real harmful consequences so far other than reidentifying some runways. If it gets bad enough, cosmic rays will get more of us.

I'll never understand how they figure these things out.
It's a detailed analysis of many earthquakes (seismic waves) over many years. Lots of math involved.

Won't we all fly off?
It's only the core, and it's happening much too slowly.

... I guess it's no big deal, since it happens every 70 years?
No big deal, but not everyone agrees with the 70 year cycle.

Here's the scientific paper prompting all the headlines (it happens to be free):
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41561-022-01112-z
And here's an easier-to-read summary:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/earth-inner-core-reverse-rotation

^^^ That's what I was wondering - are we going to lose some protection? Do I need sunscreen w 5,000 protection factor?
No! - as a rule. But it depends greatly on several factors. Off the top of my head, the following:
1) The collapse is taking place very slowly
2) Where on Earth are you? Some places like parts of the South Atlantic and South America are more vulnerable. Low-Earth orbit is very vulnerable in these places.
3) Conditions on the Sun.

I think we should clearly distinguish:

- the liquid outer core, which causes a magnetic field that reverses over hundreds of thousands of years (~450,000). Observable with a compass (or more precise magnetic equipment).

- the solid inner core, which is the subject of the news story, and appears to be slowing down or changing over a cycle of a few decades (~70). Observable by studying seismic waves.

There is interplay between the two at the boundary where the liquid core is gradually freezing into the solid core.

To be more precise, we wouldn't exist in the first place. The big bang would happen and then atoms would have just scattered throughout the universe and formed nothing interesting.
Many people are interested in or at least have heard of the "multiverse" theory. Perhaps there is another universe out there with no gravity?

If earths magnetic field goes away the solar wind will be the the big problem. It will strip the atmosphere off in a dozen years or so. Cosmic rays carry so much energy they are largely immune to the magnetic field.

Pfft. Fake news...the earth is flat after all!
😆
The last flat earther I saw found out that gravity was indeed real, lol.
Yes, it's wrong to make fun of the dead; but if you launch yourself in a homemade rocket, physics is not your friend. I started to post a link to the video, but apparently I still have some humanity left. :)

Back