The Door Into Summer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score
Was browsing Netflix and was surprised to see a new release titled "The Door Into Summer", which is pretty much my favorite Heinlein novel. It's a 2021 Japanese language, English subtitled, movie that actually follows the book reasonably well. It lacks the '60s Heinlein flair, but the story is well done. I suspect Hollywood would have made a much bigger mess of it. It's worth a watch. And, the cat Pete is pretty cool.

I'll definitely look for this movie elsewhere, I don't have Netflix and ain't paying for another streaming service. Heinlein is my favorite author!

PS: if you love Heinlein, find a copy of the largely-unedited "Stranger in a Strange Land". The original version from the 60s was rather heavily edited, presumably due to concerns about "graphic" sexual references (pretty mild today, though).

I agree; the uncut version is a much better book.I was hoping that more of his books would get that treatment, but I have been disappointed so far.
Time enough for love andThe moon is a harsh mistress are two books that could be larger.

I have SIASL, but have no idea which version it is. Any way to know for certain?
I remember it being rather racy, but I was 15ish and perpetually in heat at the time… 😂🤣
Heck, the Sears catalog was good enough…;)

I have the 2003 soft cover version of SIASL and it'd never pass any kind of censor in the 60s. I'd love a modern version of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Today's CGI could do it justice

The puppet masters didn't turn out overly horrible.

Everyone I spoke to when it came out (the movie) hated it.

One question; the book - was it funny or serious?
RAH used a fair amount of humor in his books and short stories, he even wrote a couple of short stories that could be in the “humor” category ahead of the SF category. But The Puppet Masters wasn’t more (or less) humorous than his typical works of that period. I remember seeing the movie when it came out - it was ok but just ok, not particularly good but certainly not a Raspberry Award candidate.

Everyone I spoke to when it came out (the movie) hated it.

One question; the book - was it funny or serious?
The adaptation of Puppet Masters wasn't great but it was rather better IMHO than the adaptation of Starship Troopers. It was a serious movie and followed the book reasonably closely, though with some significant deviations.

The adaptation of Puppet Masters wasn't great but it was rather better IMHO than the adaptation of Starship Troopers. It was a serious movie and followed the book reasonably closely, though with some significant deviations.
I was hoping someone (else) would bring up Verhoeven’s contemptible version of Starship Troopers - I’m not a violent person by nature but if I had the opportunity to do to Mr. Verhoeven what he did to Troopers he’d spend some quality time in intensive care.

Last edited:
I watched the libraries copy :) some changes were needed just air the movie. Read the review a IMDb, they pretty much hit the nail on the head. Last third of movie dragged.

I was hoping someone would bring up Verhoeven’s contemptible version of Starship Troopers - I’m not a violent person by nature but if I had the opportunity to do to Mr. Verhoeven what he did to Troopers he’d spend some quality time in intensive care.
Would you like to know more?

I agree; the uncut version is a much better book.I was hoping that more of his books would get that treatment, but I have been disappointed so far.
Time enough for love andThe moon is a harsh mistress are two books that could be larger.
What are your thoughts about the restored ending to Podkayne of Mars? RAH’s original ending is certainly better than what his publisher insisted he change it to but I’m not afraid to admit there’s a part of me that prefers to think of Poddy recovering and piloting starships 😊

I was hoping someone would bring up Verhoeven’s contemptible version of Starship Troopers - I’m not a violent person by nature but if I had the opportunity to do to Mr. Verhoeven what he did to Troopers he’d spend some quality time in intensive care.

Would you like to know more?

No, I’ve already wasted too much of my limited time reading and thinking about that despicable movie and the person who created it. I’m not all that happy that I even bothered to respond to prfesser’s comment 🤦‍♂️

If you would like to see a good movie based on a Heinlein story check-out Predestination.
IMO, one of the best time travel movies ever made.

Last edited:
Back