The DAllen and rfjustin 3" Prometheus COMBINED Build Thread - LET THE CHAOS ENSUE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a late bloomer... LOL.

Hey mister you slapping an on-board camera on that beauty?

Good luck tomorrow! Looks like it'll be chilly but sunny which is heckin better than the crap we're getting on this side of the lake.

Hey mister you slapping an on-board camera on that beauty?

Good luck tomorrow! Looks like it'll be chilly but sunny which is heckin better than the crap we're getting on this side of the lake.
And just like that.... the temptation to steal a shroud intended for a different project is real...

Lets fly/risk it at Bong, what could go wrong!? :headspinning:
Resized_20220211_184612_5344.jpeg

And just like that.... the temptation to steal a shroud intended for a different project is real...

Lets fly/risk it at Bong, what could go wrong!?
Video shut off literally right when it was getting good.
Think of it as a trial run on the video... what caused it to turn off? G-force, something on shroud against a button, etc.

Great flight photo ! ! !

I ran into the same frustration with this camera. I have not had a chance to try it but the solution goes like this: 1. press recording 2. Stop recording 3. Start recording immediately again and through another thread I read on The Rocketry Forum this should keep you recording. I feel the frustration.

I ran into the same frustration with this camera. I have not had a chance to try it but the solution goes like this: 1. press recording 2. Stop recording 3. Start recording immediately again and through another thread I read on The Rocketry Forum this should keep you recording. I feel the frustration.
Valuable info, thanks! What is amusing is, I have already accidentally tested this scenario, today in fact!

When I recovered the rocket, I powered the unit back on (again no idea why specifically it shut off in the first place), hit the record button and it successfully recorded the next couple hours. Great to know an easy, albeit a weird fix to previously unknown issue.

Thanks again, cheers!

Valuable info, thanks! What is amusing is, I have already accidentally tested this scenario, today in fact!

When I recovered the rocket, I powered the unit back on (again no idea why specifically it shut off in the first place), hit the record button and it successfully recorded the next couple hours. Great to know an easy, albeit it weird fix to previously unknown issue.

Thanks again, cheers!
Seems to be a known issue with Runcam but they are not fixing it according to the post. I think Runcam's target audience is the FPV drone folks who use a different interphase than we do. At least this is hopefully a work around.

Sooooooo what do you have in store for the next flight? I'm thinking another J800 at the March Michiana Launch - but with my Mobius camera this time. It'll be interesting to see how much altitude the shroud shaves off...

Last edited:
Sooooooo what do you have in store for the next flight? I'm thinking another J800 at the March Michiana Launch - but with my Mobius camera this time. It'll be interesting to see how much altitude the shroud shaves off the altitude...
Maybe a K-700 when we head down to Tab Indiana in March and fly with the Tripoli Indiana folks. :)

Seems to be a known issue with Runcam but they are not fixing it according to the post. I think Runcam's target audience is the FPV drone folks who use a different interphase than we do. At least this is hopefully a work around.

The previous RunCam2 also has these problems and more. If the camera doesn't like the temperature, it will shut off exactly at 17:00 minutes. This is hardcoded. This happened to me in hot temperatures at LDRS on the Salt Flats. I have 2 units, and they both act up. I have probably 33% success rate with onboard videos.

I got a rude response from their tech support when I inquired about the issues, and it seems like they are not very concerned with fixing known problems in future products. RunCam sucks for rocketry, imo.

Thanks for this info! I ran into the same issue yesterday and thought it was because the camera bounced through a puddle.

Planning on flying Upset Homer at Mayhem this weekend. Haven't decided on Saturday or Sunday just yet. The J800 was so freaking cool the first time I gotta do it again...and this time with my Mobious camera. :D

Planning on flying Upset Homer at Mayhem this weekend. Haven't decided on Saturday or Sunday just yet. The J800 was so freaking cool the first time I gotta do it again...and this time with my Mobious camera. :D
I hear it was "soupy" today... did you get to fly? :)

I hear it was "soupy" today... did you get to fly? :)

Soupy is an understatement. Plus the upper winds were ridiculous. I flew 2 rockets today to around 1800’ and both drifted 1/2 mile or so. So with that and the fact I am helping 2 USLI teams tomorrow the Upset Homer flight will likely occur at MMWP…I just don’t have it in me to chase rockets that far in that slop.

Soupy is an understatement. Plus the upper winds were ridiculous. I flew 2 rockets today to around 1800’ and both drifted 1/2 mile or so. So with that and the fact I am helping 2 USLI teams tomorrow the Upset Homer flight will likely occur at MMWP…I just don’t have it in me to chase rockets that far in that slop.

Just found this thread- while I'm a little disappointed to have missed the chance to meet Upset Homer, I can say that we definitely appreciated the help!

-Ben from Rose-Hulman

So what about the shenanigans? Sure, 2 cool rockets, good flights, helping others, good information, videos, blah, blah, blah, blah blaaaaaah. . . . . .

We were promised shenanigans. I'm actually fine with the lack of silliness, but I want shenanigans. We were promised shenanigans in the first post. Don't make me start a new thread questioning when the shenanigans will actually occur or if I was billed for the shenanigans. Truthfully, I have yet to get a request for payment for the shenanigans, but I also have not received a shenanigan tracking number either.

While I have never met DAllen nor rfjustin, I felt like the promise of shenanigans was legitimate and will continue to wait until shenanigans are either delivered or I just consider it a total and never expect shenanigans from DAllen or rfjustin again.

If you have had an interaction with either DAllen or rfjustin in the past, did you get the shenanigans expected eventually?

Sandy.

Back