The Crazy John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A bit over a decade ago, I flew my first dual deploy flight ever on a three-grain 54mm research motor in a BSD 4" Little John built by the legendary @blackjack2564 , whom you might know as Crazy Jim.

Crazy Jim is one of those people that always kept my ridiculous and unattainable rocketry dreams alive. Unfortunately, I sold the rocket about 10 years ago. So, when Mad Cow had a huge sale back in 2020, I decided it was time for me to buy another. Over two years later, I finally started working on it!

Step one was to wrap the airframe with two layers of 6oz fiberglass. While I was at it, I put a layer of 6oz glass on each side of the fins. They're 1/4" ply, they certainly don't need it. However, this is effectively going to future proof this rocket for any motor I could fit in it.
1.jpg

Speaking of which, I cut the tube down to a split of 21 and 10 inches, respectively, so that I can fit the 54/1706 case with the extended forward closure. K185, anyone?
2.jpg3.jpg

I also cut down the motor tube to just 8 inches so I'd have adequate recovery room.
4.jpg

After the basic assembly, as usual, I put a set of fillets on it to finish the major parts of the build. Now it's just a matter of sanding, painting, and finishing as well as putting an electronics bay together. Not sure what I'll fly it on as of yet, but I've got a few options kicking around the motor stash!
fillets.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Braden
P.S. - you can watch the build below!

Watched the video a few minutes after it went live.

I say either an I211 or a K2050 on its maiden flight.

Either be nice to it, or completely punch it off. No half-assing it, give it the whole ass or nothing at all.

Wait a minute.......

Speaking of a Little John and punching it off[on a blue motor].

Here is an iconic picture of a 6" Little John getting the full-send treatment on a Scott Kormeier N(some big huge number) on his notorious[ly spicy] Torch formula at MWP[early number].

Pretty sure that motor blew up not longer after this....

So yeah, Little Johns + spicy blue motors = Good to Go for the K2050ST!!!

1672031533639.jpeg

Wait a minute.......

Speaking of a Little John and punching it off[on a blue motor].

Here is an iconic picture of a 6" Little John getting the full-send treatment on a Scott Kormeier N(some big huge number) on his notorious[ly spicy] Torch formula at MWP[early number].

Pretty sure that motor blew up not longer after this....

So yeah, Little Johns + spicy blue motors = Good to Go for the K2050ST!!!

View attachment 553109

You might regret that. Microballoons and epoxy does not make for an easy day for filling spirals in cardboard, from my experience.

You might regret that. Microballoons and epoxy does not make for an easy day for filling spirals in cardboard, from my experience.
The spirals are full of epoxy and covered with fiberglass ;)

This is for the imperfections in the glass. Whether I went with this or body filler, it was going to require plenty of sanding either way. I was given this filler recently, so I figured I'd give it a shot!

Braden

The spirals are full of epoxy and covered with fiberglass ;)

This is for the imperfections in the glass. Whether I went with this or body filler, it was going to require plenty of sanding either way. I was given this filler recently, so I figured I'd give it a shot!

Braden

Oh yeah, duhhhh. I'm a moron. lol!!!! I even watched the damn video!!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Primer certainly does a good job of revealing all and those fillets were not nearly as smooth as I thought they were...oh well.
1673333541635.png

Nothing a few tireless hours of sanding won't fix, am I right folks?
1673333580600.png1673333598137.png1673333613921.png

@tjsnakez introduced me to this awesome Evercoat glazing putty that sands waayyyy faster than traditional Bondo but still has similar adhesion properties so it won't clump out while you're sanding. Lifesaver for sure.

Unfortunately for me, I had my first experience with a bad can of Rustoleum (I'm a longstanding believer that most issues folks have with it are user error...and I only say that because I've errored many many times as a user and netted similar results to the things folks complain about:headspinning:). It basically started spraying plaster. So, while the paint was still soft, I decided to get after it with a non-marring scraper.
1673333767592.png1673333780247.png

After all that sanding and paint prep, things started to take a pretty positive turn! Until I realized the Aeropack sticks out way further than I wanted. So, I hacked the motor tube off and ordered a flanged one.

Overall, though, it's looking pretty dang good! It's wearing decals, too, but you'll have to wait for the video to see that! ;)

1673333919761.png

Braden

Attachments

• 1673333907998.png
    1673333907998.png
    738.6 KB · Views: 0
@tjsnakez introduced me to this awesome Evercoat glazing putty that sands waayyyy faster than traditional Bondo but still has similar adhesion properties so it won't clump out while you're sanding. Lifesaver for sure.

Got a link to the Evercoat you're using? I googled it and there appears to be a wide range of products that fit "Evercoat glazing putty."

I just picked some up at ACE Hardware yesterday, plan to use it on the fins I vacuum bagged for "Jugheads" fincan.
Thanks for the tip, and thanks to Branden for mentioning it in his thread.

It appears Ace has a specially packaged version sold only in their stores, SKU 105065:
https://www.evercoatbodyshop.com/product/glazing-putty/
The stuff in normal distribution costs $5 more at Autozone, but appears to be the same thing inside, SKU 105035:
https://www.evercoatbodyshop.com/product/pro-grade-glazing-putty-2/
There are also 3-oz and 8-oz packages if you only build small rockets or just want to try it out. It is a two-part mix.
https://www.evercoatbodyshop.com/product/pro-glazing-putty/
https://www.evercoatbodyshop.com/product/pro-grade-glazing-putty/

It appears Ace has a specially packaged version sold only in their stores, SKU 105065:
https://www.evercoatbodyshop.com/product/glazing-putty/
The stuff in normal distribution costs $5 more at Autozone, but appears to be the same thing inside, SKU 105035:
https://www.evercoatbodyshop.com/product/pro-grade-glazing-putty-2/
There are also 3-oz and 8-oz packages if you only build small rockets or just want to try it out. It is a two-part mix.
https://www.evercoatbodyshop.com/product/pro-glazing-putty/
https://www.evercoatbodyshop.com/product/pro-grade-glazing-putty/
Killer info! Thank you!

Braden

Enjoyed watching your video (and the others). Built mine back in 2001. Never got to fly it as I got out of the hobby right after 9/11 happened and HPR motors became difficult to purchase. Now that I'm back I need to do the kit again. Also want to build a full scale for my Lvl 3 cert flight.

littlejohn_sm.JPG

Enjoyed watching your video (and the others). Built mine back in 2001. Never got to fly it as I got out of the hobby right after 9/11 happened and HPR motors became difficult to purchase. Now that I'm back I need to do the kit again. Also want to build a full scale for my Lvl 3 cert flight.

View attachment 557637

That would be awesome! I actually know of a person with an original BSD Little John kit for sale, but I'm not sure about the price. It'd be cool to get another if you're interested, though!

Also, that would be a killer L3 project.

Braden

Just watched your video about finishing/launching the 7.5" LOC IRIS and the part about LOC sending you another one. Do they still make them? They aren't listed on the website. I'm building their 4" IRIS now as my "getting back into the hobby" rocket and after seeing yours, it would be perfect to get my Lvl 3 cert with.

I'm also interested in the original BSD kit like I had originally. Here is the original kit contents.LJ_KitContents_lrg.jpg

Thanks
Connery

I've done some design and sim for a half-scale, spin-stabilized Little John, but haven't pulled the trigger on build.

Just watched your video about finishing/launching the 7.5" LOC IRIS and the part about LOC sending you another one. Do they still make them? They aren't listed on the website. I'm building their 4" IRIS now as my "getting back into the hobby" rocket and after seeing yours, it would be perfect to get my Lvl 3 cert with.

I'm also interested in the original BSD kit like I had originally. Here is the original kit contents.View attachment 557761

Thanks
Connery
My original 7.5" Iris was an all fiberglass scratch build, but LOC sent me their prototype kit to build for instructions/promotional use (it's on the website banner video now!)

However, they don't currently offer the 7.5" Iris as a kit. I'm sure they'd be willing to custom shop build one if you contact them! Alternatively, the 5.5" Iris makes a great L3 rocket, too!

Braden

My original 7.5" Iris was an all fiberglass scratch build, but LOC sent me their prototype kit to build for instructions/promotional use (it's on the website banner video now!)

However, they don't currently offer the 7.5" Iris as a kit. I'm sure they'd be willing to custom shop build one if you contact them! Alternatively, the 5.5" Iris makes a great L3 rocket, too!

Braden

I did reach out to them and Jason replied pretty quickly. Said they "might" make a limited run of kits later this year.

Back