The Core of the Matter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
Here’s an article about how some seismologists believe they have discovered evidence of a previously unknown new type of core at the very center of the earth.

The earth has a crust and a mantle. And inside that, there is the core. And the core itself was already known to have two concentric parts — an outer core which is liquid, and an inner core of solid metal. And now this new discovery seems to indicate that the inner core also has two layers — what they are calling the outermost inner core of solid metal, and inside that, the innermost inner core, which is the same solid metal, but with a different crystalline structure which gives it distinct properties.

So the article talks about the core, outer core, inner core, innermost inner core, and outermost inner core. WTF? That’s not confusing at all!

How about if we just do away with the term mantle, and everything under the crust is just The Core, which has four layers. The mantel can be the outermost outer core, the current liquid outer core can be the innermost outer core, then there’s the outermost inner core, and the innermost inner core.

If there’s anything discovered inside of that, we can call it Bob.

Here’s the article:
https://wapo.st/3kqr9PS
The universities that teach about this stuff are going to have to rewrite their entire core-iculum.

I like the fruit model of the Earth, with the peel, the fruit, the shell, and the nut.

When those seismologists found this evidence buried in their earthquake readings, they were shaken to the core.

Well I know you’re joking, but it‘s mostly just numbers, largely based on radial position, temperature and pressure. Whether we call layers a, b, c or d doesn’t really matter. What matters is correctly getting those functions of property (temperature, composition, pressure, etc.) vs radial position.

Um … someone core-ect me if I’m wrong … 😁

Here’s the detailed study:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-36074-2

The best thing is, it appears the new core is rotating slower than the outer layers and surface... combined with Earth's declining magnetic field... Who knows what's happening! Gets the woo woo new agers and physics crackpots in a tizzy

Here’s an article about how some seismologists believe they have discovered evidence of a previously unknown new type of core at the very center of the earth.

The earth has a crust and a mantle. And inside that, there is the core. And the core itself was already known to have two concentric parts — an outer core which is liquid, and an inner core of solid metal. And now this new discovery seems to indicate that the inner core also has two layers — what they are calling the outermost inner core of solid metal, and inside that, the innermost inner core, which is the same solid metal, but with a different crystalline structure which gives it distinct properties.

So the article talks about the core, outer core, inner core, innermost inner core, and outermost inner core. WTF? That’s not confusing at all!

How about if we just do away with the term mantle, and everything under the crust is just The Core, which has four layers. The mantel can be the outermost outer core, the current liquid outer core can be the innermost outer core, then there’s the outermost inner core, and the innermost inner core.

If there’s anything discovered inside of that, we can call it Bob.

Here’s the article:
https://wapo.st/3kqr9PS
From the Wapo article:

"Both Tarduno and Pham said learning the origins of the inner core layers can help us understand more about how the magnetic field formed — and, by extension, how life can survive on Earth and other planets.
“The formation of the inner core was extremely important for creating a long-term habitable planet because the inner core powered the magnetic field, that powered magnetic shielding,” Tarduno said. “Without that, we would have gradually lost water from the planet.”
Learning more about the inner core “in turn can help teach us more about how other planets might or might not be habitable.

The fruit terms have... appeal. 😆

Let's be all inclusive and just call them "layers".

That will works with the flat fruits too.

Let's be all inclusive and just call them "layers".

That will works with the flat fruits too.
Side note that flat earthers probably have a higher statistical chance of eating fruit roll ups.

The universities that teach about this stuff are going to have to rewrite their entire core-iculum.
Uh-uh no. Most professors wouldn't have a problem with a rewrite!!... since they *write* a lot of the textbooks in the first place!
and, nooooo, they don't, write them for free!)

And if you haven't noticed, textbooks ain't cheap!

Side note that flat earthers probably have a higher statistical chance of eating fruit roll ups.
I’d like to see them try to flatten out an orange peel, but I bet that core-azy bunch can’t even core-relate that with the Earth’s surface.

Uh-uh no. Most professors wouldn't have a problem with a rewrite!!... since they *write* a lot of the textbooks in the first place!
and, nooooo, they don't, write them for free!)

And if you haven't noticed, textbooks ain't cheap!

It’s a scam and totally core-upt!

It would be interesting to learn if the core responds to external electromagnetic effects at the Earth's poles.

From today's edition of Spaceweather.com:

GEOMAGNETIC STORM WATCH (G2-CLASS): The odds of a geomagnetic storm this week are increasing. There are now two CMEs (#1, #2) en route to Earth, both launched over the weekend from the vicinity of sunspot AR3229. Their consecutive arrivals on Feb. 27th and 28th could spark G2-class (Moderate) geomagnetic storms. During such storms, auroras can appear in the USA as far south as, e.g., Idaho and New York. Aurora alerts: SMS Text.

ANOTHER "CHAIN REACTION" EXPLOSION ON THE SUN: On Friday, Feb. 24th, a chain reaction of events on the sun sparked a solar flare, two radio blackouts, and an Earth-directed CME. On Saturday, Feb. 25th, it happened again. A magnetic filament connected to sunspot AR3229 erupted, producing an M6-class solar flare and a shortwave radio blackout over the Pacific Ocean. Soon after, a lopsided halo CME emerged:

The flank of this CME should strike Earth's magnetic field on Feb 28th, possibly sparking G1- to G2-class geomagnetic storms. NOAA analysts are analyzing the CME's trajectory now, and their results could refine the forecast.

Shock waves in the CME accelerated solar protons to nearly light speed, and the particles have already reached Earth. Right now, NOAA's GOES-16 satellite is detecting a surge of protons with energies greater than 10 MeV. Our planet's magnetic field is funneling these particles toward the poles where a second type of radio blackout is underway--a polar cap absorption (PCA) event:

Airplanes flying over these regions may find that their shortwave radios won't work due to the ionizing effect of infalling protons. This PCA could persist for days. You can monitor its progress here.

I am seeking investors for my new core-poration, which I have named Core Corp. We will fund an expedition to the Earth’s innermost inner core to bring back precious vibranium and kyber crystals.

I am also looking for volunteers for the elite forces that will conduct the expedition — the Core Corp Corps.

What are the Corps' core values?

They are known for their esprit de core and for their core-age.

One of the finest examples was Corporal Corey, a corpsman who famously had the core-age to rescue a fellow member of the Core Corp Corps even though everyone told him, “He can’t be saved, corpsman! He’s a corpse, man!”

I hope there is a follow up news expose by Katie Couric. Of course, the subject mater may be so coarse she could blow her cork,

Last edited:
Back