The Bomarc...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchR

Air Defender
Reaction score
So earlier today I discovered that a friend of mine who I had given a gift a long time ago decided he didn't want it and was never going to use it. He returned to me an unopened North Coast Rocketry Bomarc.

The question now is whether or not I build it as it is for vintage sake or if I modify it and convert it to 38mm, even 54?? I was considering a kwik switch actually. I'm indecisive right now.

There are a few concerns about the kit that would need reinforcing if I were to convert to 38mm and especially 54mm. The primary one is that the special wings and engines (not functional of course) are made of a relatively thin plastic and would be subject to shredding at higher velocities. The tubes are an easy fix, one or two layers of glass and they'll be gtg.

Thoughts or if you have pictures of another one I'd like to see it! Thanks =)

I put a 38mm mount in mine with an aeropac retainer. I fly it on H & I motors.

I put a 38mm mount in mine with an aeropac retainer. I fly it on H & I motors.

That's awesome. Did you leave it as it is or modify it a fair bit? I think it'll handle the 29mm H and I motor reloads alright but anything more than that, like a J350 and I think it'd have issues.

Mostly I changed the way the ram jet motors were built and attached. They are reinforced with plywood instead of balsa inside and have a light wrap of glass on the outside. They are also attached through the wall to the motor tube. Besides being 29mm (28mm) the NCR motor tube is too short to do this. Mine has had allot of flights and is starting to show it, but I would build it the same way if I ever build a new one.

There's an article on beefing up the NCR/Estes Bomarc in one of the 98 or 99 Sport Rocketry mags... I just read it about two weeks ago...

Don't remember which issue but I could look and see... somebody did this very same conversion back then for HPR...

Good luck! OL JR :)

Back