The best way to attach shroud lines to Estes chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laming

Reaction score
I have used many different methods in the past to attach shroud lines. I'm looking for solutions for a long lasting Fix. Thanks

I am very old school. I use 100# Kevlar line and do a loop in the cord and stick it down with good old Scotch brand masking tape. I have never do the tie a know method and I have only had a handful of failures even with very early and very late ejections. When there is an issue it doesn't rip the parachute so it's an easy fix.

The one tip I'm going to give you is to be sure to rub the tap down with a burnishing tool to ensure that it is completely stuck to the plastic.

I am very old school. I use 100# Kevlar line and do a loop in the cord and stick it down with good old Scotch brand masking tape. I have never do the tie a know method and I have only had a handful of failures even with very early and very late ejections. When there is an issue it doesn't rip the parachute so it's an easy fix.

The one tip I'm going to give you is to be sure to rub the tap down with a burnishing tool to ensure that it is completely stuck to the plastic.
What kind of burnishing tool are you using? Just something to press/compress the tape/kevlar/plastic together? Like a hard plastic scraper? I'd like to use this method rather than the donut sticker/hole/knot deal...

What kind of burnishing tool are you using? Just something to press/compress the tape/kevlar/plastic together? Like a hard plastic scraper? I'd like to use this method rather than the donut sticker/hole/knot deal...

Depends on the size of the loop. I've used everything from a popsicle stick down to the plastic tip of a Bic Pen.

Thanks for your help. I just built an Estes Recruiter and a Screaming Eagle for my Son.

Back