The best band / musician / group of all tim e is ...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
For me, the #1 spot is shared by The Who & The Clash.

Mick & the boys are a close 2nd. Mind you their stuff from the late 60's to "Tattoo you" were the best. After that (when Keith sobered up) they got boring & predictable...

You'll always see me jump on a Who, Stones or Clash song on the radio.. I routinely build to Mick, Rodger, or Joe serenading me from my little ghetto blaster in my shop.... (Zappa stops in once & a while too..)

you?

Favorites:

Yes
The Who
Kansas
Led Zeppelin
Heart
The Cars
Pat Benatar
Triumph
Chicago (original version with Terry Kath)
The Guess Who
Radiohead
Everclear
Styx
Boston

The best:

The Beatles

Best band of musicians:

Dream Theater
King Crimson
Frank Zappa bands
Return to Forever
Rush

Many very famous bands and players cannot hold a torch the the folks in the bands listed above.

My favs that come to mind:

ZZ Top
Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Beatles
Who
Eagles
Clapton, solo and in his various groups

Geez, this could make my head hurt. There are so many...

[video=youtube;ukjnrXTTvPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukjnrXTTvPY[/video]

ssixsixsix

[video=youtube;6yQocwGd_SA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQocwGd_SA[/video]

This feels like a topic with as much potential disagreement as politics and religion combined.

I won't claim they are the most talented, but these would make up my desert island playlist.

Woody Guthrie
Lead Belly
Billie Holliday
Iggy and the Stooges
The Clash
The Ramones
Jimi (how has he not been named here yet) Hendrix
Janice Joplin
Tom Morello
Tool
Soundgarden
Talib Kweli
Lupe Fiasco

+1. In fact you could just say, Maynard James Keenan, and that's all you need to listen too, EVER.

036f3d2aca70c6bdc5ec24e0441fb493-640x360.jpg

Last edited:
Talking Heads
Rancid
The Clash
The Skatalites
The Specials
NWA
Public Enemy
Jimmy Buffett
Skavovie and the Epitones
Cracker
Leftover Salmon
Beastie Boys

That pretty much covers anything I have ever paid for, and still listen to.

Last edited:
Research on this subject is interesting. One could get a good guess of your age based upon your "best band" preference. I read an article (not the one below) that most people end up preferring the music they listened to in college (or at that age)

a part of article at
: https://mic.com/articles/96266/ther...musical-taste-according-to-science#.4qkWKh4e4

The hormonal impetus of puberty sets children down a path of rich musical discovery, guided by their personality and social needs, which deepen and complicate until about age 24, when they reach the peak of musical taste acquisition. Individuals tend to be most open-minded and accepting around this age. They're also being exposed to the widest range of musical influences, meeting people from diverse backgrounds on college campuses or at their work. The music that people consume during this age takes on a "special resonance." Elderly people are more likely to express admiration for music that they heard in their 20s over music they heard earlier or later in life. After 24, people stop acquiring as much new music, or if they do, they do not report as much preference or pleasure from it.

Part of the reason for this gradually decreasing pleasure is structural. Starting at 24 or 25, people's ears begin to lose sensitivity to higher pitches and become less adept at detecting small changes in pitch. Therefore, all the music that people are introduced to during this period sounds just a little less vibrant than did the music they heard during the peaks of their lives. Music heard at 19-24 also gets encoded with all sorts of glorious memories from when people are in the primes of their lives, feeling free and accumulating their first truly meaningful sexual, creative and professional experiences.

For myself, there is no "best band", I'm eclectic and prefer to listen to a wide range of genre from different eras abet I draw the line at atonal, dissonant and unstructured music.

I never liked the music that was coming out when I was in high school or college. I always preferred the older stuff. British Invasion, the early progressive era (Yes, ELP, ELO, King Crimson), and the truly classic Classic Rock bands.

I never liked the music that was coming out when I was in high school or college. I always preferred the older stuff. British Invasion, the early progressive era (Yes, ELP, ELO, King Crimson), and the truly classic Classic Rock bands.

+1 I'm with you on this ...except..that WAS the music that was coming out when I was in high school or college. :)

Heard this on NPR this week, got a nostalgic kick out of it.
https://www.npr.org/programs/morning-edition/2017/07/18/537842344
https://www.npr.org/2017/07/18/534577902/can-t-prog-rock-get-any-respect-around-here

Last edited:
I saw Paul McCartney in concert last night. He certainly makes my very short list of most influential musicians of all time.
He's still rockin it at 75 years old!

spinal tap. :)
really hard to narrow it down. musicians- which instrument?
drums?imo, neil peart,bonham
lead guitar? imo, randy rhoads,SRV
bass guitar? hhhm....thats tough..entwistle,cliff burton, geddy lee
rythym guitar? chuck berry,malcom young...
but i personally cant call any of them the best.

best band? thats hard,too.
how would that be determined?
personally id say how they sound live. of all the concerts ive been to over the years, they all sounded pretty good in concert.
EXCEPT for aerosmith mid 80's.

Back