The BADDEST Richter Recher - Bar none!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Our good friend Joe brought his FlisKits Richter Recher out to the field today. Check out this custom automotive paint job!!! You will *NOT* see a better RR in the field today. The fins and lettering were done with vinyl stencils and are actually painted onto the rocket. The fin detailing was possible through a direct scan of the decals that came with the kit. In turn, his buddy that does vinyl custom cut some stencils on plain material. The color scheme and paint was inspired by a custom audio competition truck featured on the cover of one of the more prominent "Mini-Truck" magazines. The paint used on this rocket was leftover from that same truck featured on the magazine.

Joe is the same rocketeer that painted my upscale Deuce and Der Red Max.

I don't know that there is or will be another RR to look like this. For those of you that have access to paintguns and compressors, take full advantage.

Nice work Joe.

Attached is the fin can shot.

Here's a closeup of the "Richter" portion of the logo. Note: This is painted on the rocket!

Here's the bottom half of the rocket. Just like the lettering, the designs on the fins are painted on as well.

Need balsa pores filled? How about gaps or seams? You won't find any on this rocket. The nosecone-to-body transition are seamless. If you'd never looked at one of these kits before, you'd think the cone was made of plastic.

Here's an underside artistic view of the RR awaiting liftoff on the pad. Joe flew it on 3 D12-5s. The flight was just as perfect as the paint job.

Here's a semi-liftoff shot. This is more of a smoke-billowing picture. I wish I would have captured it a few more feet in the air.

WOW That RR is AWESOME!What type of automotive paint was used? Was there a estimated alt? How was the nosecone filled?
Karl

WOW. WOW again. One more time: WOW. :cool: Very nice...Okay, now that it's flown, into the glass case it goes! :D The FlisKits Hall of fame, maybe? :)

Originally posted by Karl
WOW That RR is AWESOME!What type of automotive paint was used? Was there a estimated alt? How was the nosecone filled?
Karl

I've been over there a few times now to watch and learn from Joe. He uses a sprayable polyester primer nicknamed "slick sand." This stuff goes on like goop. Ever have some primer "run" or drip from too much application? Joe does this purposely. The primer dries quickly under the sun and is sandable in only a few hours (<3). The primer sands easily and fills nearly ever crack, gap, dent, or other imperfection. It's magic... :)

As for the brand auto paint I'm not too sure. It's not an aerosol based "can" or over-the-shelf paint. He uses a 2 part base coat followed by an auto clearcoat. The finish is amazing. I know he does a bunch of clearcoat wetsanding too.

Perhaps he'll post later and share some of his tricks.

Here is one happy FlisKits/Richter Recker (sp?) owner.

BTW, note to vendors, Joe does some catalog quality professional work. Coupled with a good photographer you'd have some great brochure artwork.

That guy sure knows hows to finish rockets perfectley!

I tell you what.. Im working on just getting the PRIMER smooth on my Jag after the glassing. That just makes me feel so unskilled...:D

Eugenio sent me hi-res versions of these pix. Man, I am just stunned!

Ok, no one else has asked, so I will... ...what's he *charge* to do that to someone's rocket???? :)

very nice, that reminds me I have all the equitment....just need to use it

Originally posted by airforce
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Took guts to launch something that cool!!!!!

Dude, ALL of his rockets look like that! (All of the MPR/HPR rockets that is.)

Of course, the LPR ones don't look to shabby either. I suppose that if your trade is related to the field of autobody and custom components then all of the tricks of the trade are known. Oh yeah, and a MAJOR part of making *any* rocket look good, whether you have the right paints or not, is PATIENCE and ATTENTION TO DETAIL! :)

"testing...testing, 1...2...3, Joe, are you out there?"

Originally posted by jflis
Eugenio sent me hi-res versions of these pix. Man, I am just stunned!

Ok, no one else has asked, so I will... ...what's he *charge* to do that to someone's rocket???? :)

Uh, *I* don't know. :) I usually pay in trade. I do the computer stuff and a few things tossed in there and he does the finishing and painting. Of course, for my upscale Deuce and Der Red Max I did a little work side by side too! He's just got the touch with the paintgun though. As a matter of fact, the RR was a part of the trade for his labor. ;)

I hope this isn't too OT (off thread)

In several of the pictures of this great paint job... is a yellow pole, just stuck in the ground next to the launch pad...

What is that? and what does it do?

Thanks... like I said just curious...

Originally posted by Steward

I hope this isn't too OT (off thread). In several of the pictures of this great paint job... is a yellow pole, just stuck in the ground next to the launch pad...What is that? and what does it do?

Thanks... like I said just curious...

Not too off topic at all! I was wondering when someone would ask. If you look at the picture from the underside view, at the top of the pole you'll notice a small device. There's actually a small digital Aiptek video camera up there. Rock2p (Russell) sets it up next to our rockets in attempt to capture a liftoff shot from up top similar to the Gates Bros. top view shots of the Jayhawk lifting off. Sometimes we get great videos. Other times the angle is off and we might get one or two frames. The best setup is when he has the camera underneath the rocket and you see the flame develop. Pretty cool stuff. :)

That is one nice paint job on a great kit. In the one shot you can see the back ground reflected off the paint!! I have one and still can't believe how big this rocket is(for low/mid power)

The auto body guys do have an advantage in that it is their business to do paint jobs. Really COOL:cool:

Larry

Hey everyone. Thanks for all of the compliments. Sorry I haven't been around. My computer has been down. I haven't been able to reply. I will be getting back with everyone on the techniques I used in the "Techniques" forum when I have a moment.

BTW, I accidentally allowed the top section of the rocket to get whacked by a moving ceiling fan. 5 hourse of painting ruined in seconds...Needless to say the ceiling fan is now without blades. I didn't even bother with a screwdriver - the blades were just "ripped" off. ;) Ceiling fans are not good when you have an AT Mirage and RR in the house!

Take care all and thanks again. (The RR will be repaired soon.)

FYI - All of my Midpower Aerotech and scratchbuild rockets get the autobody paint treatment. More on that later.

AWESOME!!! That's the advantage of working in the auto painting trade. Again, very nice.

Originally posted by jflis
Now, what have I TOLD you folks about ceiling fans and Richter Reckers.....???

:D
And I was thinking about up scaleing one but I changed my mind

Back