The Avionics Bay Thread...Post your Photos!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things get a little tight on a 29mm.

Attachments

• 00A31FF7-D031-4CE2-9E34-18343FC28398.jpeg
    00A31FF7-D031-4CE2-9E34-18343FC28398.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 117
  • B8C9454F-E864-45CB-B6A6-5091659B7BC1.jpeg
    B8C9454F-E864-45CB-B6A6-5091659B7BC1.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 151
  • A9F94D8C-8972-406A-83B6-A39E64CCC7E7.jpeg
    A9F94D8C-8972-406A-83B6-A39E64CCC7E7.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 150
This is from my half-scale Nike Apache project. NC is 4", 3D printed in ABS.

More detail and discussion here: https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5019
The sled is skinny so it can go into other size rockets, down to 54mm. Just need a smaller diameter base and nosecone for the transplant.

NCCouplerInsideViewr.png

Mated1.png

mated2r2.png

NCWithSled.png

Electronics is a TeleMega
sledtop.JPG

sledbottom.JPG

sledassembled.JPG

SuperCap.JPG

NCRear.JPG

Last edited:
Nice. What is the altimeter you are showing?
The Altimeter is a Quantum from Eggtimer. I am building it for a 29mm 2 stage G Rocket. It will be powered by a custom built 3s 12v lipo. One of these will go in the booster stage to handle deployment and separation. A second one will go in the sustainer to ignite the upper stage motor and drogue separation at Apogee.

Last edited:
Try 24mm....a Quark and a Turnigy Nano-Tech 2s 180mah LiPo. This is a prototype for an upcoming build.

This is the combo I flew last weekend using a total F impulse 5883’ in 24mm.

Attachments

• 6F05B9A3-5686-4AA1-9C19-937BB1CCC409.jpeg
    6F05B9A3-5686-4AA1-9C19-937BB1CCC409.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 2BAA412A-594C-4648-BDFD-988B7C05CC7C.jpeg
    2BAA412A-594C-4648-BDFD-988B7C05CC7C.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 75D2132E-2858-4920-BBFF-1278584DAD9A.jpeg
    75D2132E-2858-4920-BBFF-1278584DAD9A.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 139
This is from my half-scale Nike Apache project. NC is 4", 3D printed in ABS.

More detail and discussion here: https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5019
The sled is skinny so it can go into other size rockets, down to 54mm. Just need a smaller diameter base and nosecone for the transplant.

View attachment 422441

View attachment 422440

View attachment 422439

View attachment 422438

Electronics is a TeleMega
View attachment 422437

View attachment 422436

View attachment 422435

View attachment 422434

View attachment 422433
Beautiful

Update on my HPV4PoC avbay

by 'quadrant'

Camera and backup FC: Has a Split Cam3 nano and one of my own flight computers. 18650 Sony LiIon cell (ironically is not for these)

HPV4PoC_AvBay_Camera_Quadrant.jpg

FarTrak and boost converters: Telemetry and flight computer module + IMU, 1 x 5V boost converter + 1 x 8V boost coverter

HPV4PoC_AvBay_FarTrak_Quadrant.jpg

RocTrak: APRS + DTMF + logger + WAP & Webpage for pre-launch monitoring and setup. DTMF interface allows for remote action including the arming and power up of the camera and backup flight computer

HPV4PoC_AvBay_RocTrak_Quadrant.jpg

Power control and monitoring + main FC : SmartSwitch/isolator with 3 channel current and voltage monitoring. Raven 4 + it's dedicated battery

HPV4PoC_AvBay_SmartSwitch_quadrant.jpg

Top bulkhead and antennae : FarTrak module GPS and radio antenna, also showing one set of the ejection cannon tubes installed

HPV4PoC_AvBay_Top_Antennae.jpg

Just our sled! Forward bay. 1x Raven altimeter (shown), 1x RRC3 and 1x Missleworks GPS. Credit to our team lead, Zach. Avionics Sled.jpg

Last edited:
Better lighting and backdrop..

View attachment 436625
Nice design, but I hope that you have plans for a brace on that stick antenna. Shock load from even a normal landing might be enough force for that lever to damage the RF board.

Also, when you orient the sled in the bay, make sure that that patch antenna for the GPS is facing AWAY from the rail for best on the pad reception.

Nice design, but I hope that you have plans for a brace on that stick antenna. Shock load from even a normal landing might be enough force for that lever to damage the RF board.

Also, when you orient the sled in the bay, make sure that that patch antenna for the GPS is facing AWAY from the rail for best on the pad reception.

Thanks! Bringing all of this input to our meeting tonight! This bay has 1 successful launch under it's belt but I can certainly see that being a concern.

Appreciate it!

Brian,

I like your altimeter sled. I particularly like the wood chosen-looks stained, which wood and CNC unit are you using. . I use an X-carve and plywood which looks plain in comparison. Also, which connectors are you using and are they latching?

Thanks,
Fred

It's actually machined linen phenolic not wood. Everything in my rockets is composites and stainless, I try to avoid any materials that will degrade over time or with exposure to the elements or ejection gasses.

I've already got a small page full of things to revise on the next version, but here's the first time I'm going to show my new concept for avionics mounting. Raven 4, eggfinder mini-wifi switch, and 9v battery mount. All mounted to a custom circuit board to eliminate wires as much as possible.

Next version is going to make battery retention easier, and change the connections for the deployment charges.

I've got 5 more bare circuit boards if anybody wants. Freebies if you're in continental US.

IMGP6755.JPG

HHaase-congrats-looks clean and very functional. What are your plans to change the connections for the deployment charges and did you use KICAD or DIPTRACE to design the PCB?

Regards,
Fred

Just wrapped up building the sled for my mach1 starlight . Started with the mach1 badass kit and incorporated a few different pieces then stock, labratt pull pin switch, doghouse rocketry charge wells, electrical terminals , and custom molex connectors. By far my cleanest and smallest bay so far. Also finished the badass gps nose bay...pretty slick Ian!AF4D12DC-BAF0-4FEF-B6C0-6F4FBB565B02.jpeg8C9B77BE-7687-4498-A9EF-2CB7C34EDEFE.jpegC74811B8-DE65-49B8-869F-498417C8815F.jpegABAA49BA-10FF-4FD7-94C3-BF15AECD06BE.jpeg

HHaase-congrats-looks clean and very functional. What are your plans to change the connections for the deployment charges and did you use KICAD or DIPTRACE to design the PCB?

Regards,
Fred

I use Diptrace now, KiCad library management is just too kludgy. I'll probably have to upgrade yet another level soon too as some things I'm doing would benefit from going 4-layer.

I'm going to move to either Molex KK or MiniFit Jr. connectors for the charges. This way I can pre-crimp them and add some latching connectors. I haven't had many failures with electronics, but they've all been related to wiring so far. So the more I can eliminate the use of wires and weak connections, the better. I only used these connectors because they came with an Eggfinder Wifi switch that I had purchased a couple months ago. With the cost of HP motors, what's another 10-20 cents of consumables in the grand scheme of things.

-Hans

I've got the next version of my av-bay PCB ordered, with a pile of updates.

Last call if anybody wants a bare board of the current version for free. Otherwise I'm probably going to toss them when the new ones arrive.

-Hans

Left and center are the latest version, right side is the old version. Now I have much better access to the USB port on the raven, easier to hold down the battery, and more options for the charge connections. I also put a vent hole directly under the baro sensor on the Raven to make sure it was getting correct air pressures. I wanted to also include a 2S connector, and make a 3D printed battery holder, but I goofed and used the wrong style JST connector hole pattern. So that'll be for the next version. I'm really happy with how this is coming along now.

IMGP6757.JPG

Now with a 3D printed mounting system to fit inside my Mega Magg, including a pair of integrated charge wells. I can completely set up the altimeter and charges outside the rocket. For pre-prep I just mount into the rocket and attach the e-matches. Once on the rail I power up with the WIFI. Nice and simple now. Eliminates all wires except for the e-matches and is a hell of a lot easier to use than my previous altimeter mounting in this rocket, which can be seen next to the motor tube.

mmagg-0033.JPGmmagg-0034.JPGmmagg-0035.JPG

Following on from post #81 I've upgraded the 54mm AV bay and interstage for my MC/RW Double Shot.
Interstage.
Int_Top.jpg

Int_Bot.jpg

I originally had the Marsa in the sustainer AV bay (with a pyrobridge in the interstage) but it was way too crowded and didn't allow for redundancy. This way allows the Marsa Gyro for safety.
I drew up the sled as one piece then sliced it and printed flat. A dollop of CA brought them back together.

Sustainer
Top.jpg

Bot.jpg

2 SLCF's again with resistors but this time switched by the new Eggtimer Mini WiFi switch. They are much more compact and manageable than the old style.
Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:
Here is something a little different. This was the first version of my experimental Vertical Trajectory System. This resided in a section of airframe just below the NC, and interfaced with the telemetry system in the NC to provide logging of the canard positions during flight. This suits a 4" airframe. Beer for scale.

DSC07034resize.JPG
DSC07035resize.JPG
allresize.jpg

Flight fins were 3D SLA printed.

The brass standoffs were switched out for carbon fiber spacers with titanium bike spoke to hold everything together in the hardware used for flight testing. This saved a significant amount of mass.

Yes, it looks a bit messy but for a breadboard system it is quite acceptable and flight-worthy.

A SLA 3D printed bulkhead on the aft end of the module provided easy interface for charging batteries and deployment charges. There was also a connection for a break-wire that disabled the system once the laundry came out.
BulkheadAssembled2resize.JPGBulkheadAssembled1resize.JPG

Full details here:
https://forum.ausrocketry.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5324
This has been recently disassembled and will be replaced with almost entirely new hardware based on the Ardupilot platform. That gives me plenty of functionality and flexibility with the operation of the device. Much more than the "black box" flight computer I used in this version.

Back