The Avionics Bay Thread...Post your Photos!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
58pan
Wow....if I am not mistaken the Star Orbiter is roughly BT60. That bay is crazy cool! I am impressed with all the designs and ideas....I hope people post more...it is cool to see how folks set things up...
Andrew

Here is mine

I like how this is laid out.....I also see you too mounted your switch on the side by the all thread....if I would have done this on mine, I would have had more room....maybe to put a GPS on my sled as well. Love the photos guys.....keep them coming as I am sure I am not the only one getting new or fresh ideas from others!
Andrew

Here's my av-bay for my L1 rocket back in 2007. There are a few things I won't do again and some I still use like the limit switch with a pull pin. I still use the brass tube from ink pens as the tube for the pull pin but use J B Weld instead of regular epoxy. I also keep the battery and altimeter on opposite sides of the board. This rocket actually lawn darted after flying with a battery that had a hard landing on a drogue only flight in another rocket. The rocket and battery was totaled, but the altimeter still flies in my L3 rocket today.

The rocket was a scratch build with thick wall mailing tubes. I rolled the av-bay tube myself and turned the end caps my on my drill press. The rocket was 2.25 OD and 2.0 ID. It made a couple successful 80G flights with I1299 Warp 9 motors.

E Bay battery and switch.jpg E Bay electronics.jpg

I like your design and your use of the snap switch. Did you epoxy or superglue the screw terminals to the bulk heads? How well did the screw terminals hold up to BP over the course of several launches?

I like your design and your use of the snap switch. Did you epoxy or superglue the screw terminals to the bulk heads? How well did the screw terminals hold up to BP over the course of several launches?
The terminals were epoxied to the bulkhead with J B Weld. I never had a problem. I used a pair of xmas bulb with the wires that provide continuity when the filament burns out removed and the two bulbs hot glued into a paper wound tube and 24" of wire soldered to the bulbs. The BP was added, the tube folded over and taped. They all worked fine at about $0.05 per charge. When I started using ematches, I laid them on a piece of duct tape, poured the BP over the match, folded the tape and sealed everything together. That also worked perfectly.

I'm currently working on a bay for a LOC IQSY Tomahawk. Trying to fit an Eggtimer Quark and a Turnigy 2C LiPo in a 38mmX 4" coupler. Right now it's not looking very elegant. If I get it looking half way presentable I'll post some pictures of the finished product. Working on adding a pull pin switch, but I might give that idea up in favor of the old "Twist and Tape". I'm planning to just put the charges in glove fingers. For terminals I used 4-40x1" screws and brass nuts.

I'm currently working on a bay for a LOC IQSY Tomahawk. Trying to fit an Eggtimer Quark and a Turnigy 2C LiPo in a 38mmX 4" coupler. Right now it's not looking very elegant. If I get it looking half way presentable I'll post some pictures of the finished product. Working on adding a pull pin switch, but I might give that idea up in favor of the old "Twist and Tape". I'm planning to just put the charges in glove fingers. For terminals I used 4-40x1" screws and brass nuts.
That's a lot to "squeeze" into a 4 inch long 38 mm bay. You may want to consider buying a 6 inch or longer bay to have enough room. If the space for your chute is too limited, you can also purchase (or cut) a 2 to 3 inch vent band to acquire some more room. Good luck!

Fred

Here is my av-bay for a 38mm minimum diameter build I'm working on. It is 5.5" long. I've got an Eggfinder mini and an Altus Metrum telemini mounted side by side, for redundant tracking plus dual deploy. There are three 1s 260mah lipos, with one powering the telemini, and the other two wired in series for the Eggfinder mini.
Single break, with a single parachute in the nose-cone, using a pyrotechnic cable tie cutter to release the chute at main altitude.
IMG_20200106_070034.jpg IMG_20200106_070025.jpg IMG_20200106_070009.jpg

Here is my new modular AV-Bay.
It fits in a 54mm coupler tube.

Attachments

• 20191222_134619.jpg
    20191222_134619.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 20191222_134647.jpg
    20191222_134647.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 20191227_201155.jpg
    20191227_201155.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 342
  • 20191224_000708.jpg
    20191224_000708.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 332
Hey everyone-
All this stuff is blowing me away! GREAT ideas and designs. This is all so cool to see all the different ways of doing things. I am amazed on how much electronics stuff you all can put in small spaces....Keep the photos coming!
Andrew

Posted in another thread, but here you go

worked with David Fliger on designing some custom av bay lids, which he manufactured. The altimeter came out great. Kudos to him and several other TRF vendors.

Here are the design points:

· 4-inch diameter bay configurable in 7.5-inch and 11-inch length sleds
· Tinder Raptor CO2 system on the main chute
· Eggtimer Proton and Quantum altimetee
· LabRat Rocketry pull switches
· RocketJunkies machined wire feedthrough on both ends
· RocketJunkies charge cups
· RocketJunkies custom bulkhead
· AltusMetrum Telemetrum transmitter/triple backup altimeter Eggtimer Tx transmitter for tracking
· Two or three Lipo batteries in 3d printed battery box holder (depending on configuration)
· 3d printed sled with a rounded edge to lay on the outside edge of altimeter compartment
· 3d printed guillotine clamp to keep the D-ring from knocking into CO2 assembly
· Antenna SMA connector port
IMG_20191105_185910166.jpg IMG_20191107_213544588.jpg IMG_20191117_071112874.jpg IMG_20191107_213946157.jpg

Posted in another thread, but here you go

worked with David Fliger on designing some custom av bay lids, which he manufactured. The altimeter came out great. Kudos to him and several other TRF vendors.

Here are the design points:

· 4-inch diameter bay configurable in 7.5-inch and 11-inch length sleds
· Tinder Raptor CO2 system on the main chute
· Eggtimer Proton and Quantum altimetee
· LabRat Rocketry pull switches
· RocketJunkies machined wire feedthrough on both ends
· RocketJunkies charge cups
· RocketJunkies custom bulkhead
· AltusMetrum Telemetrum transmitter/triple backup altimeter Eggtimer Tx transmitter for tracking
· Two or three Lipo batteries in 3d printed battery box holder (depending on configuration)
· 3d printed sled with a rounded edge to lay on the outside edge of altimeter compartment
· 3d printed guillotine clamp to keep the D-ring from knocking into CO2 assembly
· Antenna SMA connector port
View attachment 402919 View attachment 402920 View attachment 402921 View attachment 402922

Really nice job, Curtis!

This is for my 4" Mac BlackFly, which uses a HED (Hed End Deployment) AV Bay. For those who are not familiar with that design. It is essentially taking the coupler from the nosecone and turning it into the AV Bay, and putting the main in the nosecone. The first time I saw the term HED, and the design, was on Jim Hendricksen's 3" Wildman Punisher.

I designed this rocket to accommodate the Loki 54-2800 case, so I had to recess the AV bay in the 8" coupler by about 4". This is a pic looking at the bottom of the bay. I used redundant BP canisters for apogee deployment.
44802946464_722a0b60d5_o.jpg
This is the top end of the AV Bay. I used a single CO2 Raptor, with redundant e-matches, for main deployment. The Tracker (Altus Metrum TeleGPS) antenna, exits the top bulkhead through an RC antenna straw and is sealed at the end with epoxy. You may notice the red/blue bulkheads. I started doing this a number of years ago, just as a quick reference for when assembling. I got the idea from my kid's EpiPens. An EpiPen has a blue cap on top, and an orange base. The instructions say "blue to the sky and orange to the thigh". In my case, I went with "blue to the sky and red to the flamy end," Poetry is not my thing.
IMG_20190512_004545__01.jpg
The AV Bay sled was designed using TInkerCAD and 3D printed. It is a fully integrated design with wire management, switches, batteries and altimeters.
47263852291_fa3fb2f164_o.jpg
Side view showing one of the altimeters (Altus Metrum Easy Mini) and tracker. You can see one of the FingerTech screw switches on the bottom. There are three of these, and they line up perfectly with the sampling holes in the AV bay band.
IMG_20190512_004511__01.jpg
Here is a pic of the tracker showing the through bulkhead antenna straw. I added some heat shrink tube around the last 1.5" to give a bit of strength to where it interects with the bulkhead. You can see the bottom end of the CO2 cartridge, which screws into the center of the sled
IMG_20190512_004534__01.jpg
I used a y harness connected directly to the U-bolts for the recovery harness on both ends. The threaded rods go through the center of the U-bolts, sled, and the center of the other bulkhead U-bolts.
IMG_20190512_004556__01.jpg
Here is a clear pic from the bottom, showing the CO2 cartridge and the screw switches.
IMG_20190512_004627__01.jpg
To connect the aft wiring harnesses to the through bulkhead terminals, I use mini-deans connectors. These connectors work very well for this purpose, although they are a bit challenging to solder.
IMG_20190512_004811__01.jpg
Assembling this AV is not very easy. However, it is well sealed and firmly held together once the fight is over.
IMG_20190512_005147__01.jpg
I am very particular with all my AV Bays and I put them through worst-case, unrealistic bench testing, while being held in the vice.
IMG_20190516_234711__01.jpg

This is for my 4" Mac BlackFly, which uses a HED (Hed End Deployment) AV Bay. FOr those who are not familiar with that design. It is essentially taking the coupler from the nosecone and turning it into the AV Bay, and putting the main in the nosecone. The first time I saw the term HED, and the design, was on Jim Hendricksen's 3" Wildman Punisher.

I designed this rocket to accommodate the Loki 54-2800 case, so I had to recess the AV bay in the 8" coupler by about 4". This is a pic looking at the bottom of the bay. I used redundant BP canisters for apogee deployment.
View attachment 403005
This is the top end of the AV Bay. I used a single CO2 Raptor, with redundant e-matches, for main deployment. The Tracker (Altus Metrum TeleGPS) antenna, exits the top bulkhead through an RC antenna straw and is sealed at the end with epoxy. You may notice the red/blue bulkheads. I started doing this a number of years ago, just as a quick reference for when assembling. I got the idea from my kid's EpiPens. An EpiPen has a blue cap on top, and an orange base. The instructions say "blue to the sky and orange to the thigh". In my case, I went with "blue to the sky and red to the flamy end," Poetry is not my thing.
View attachment 403009
The AV Bay sled was designed using TInkerCAD and 3D printed. It is a fully integrated design with wire management, switches, batteries and altimeters.
View attachment 403006
Side view showing one of the altimeters (Altus Metrum Easy Mini) and tracker. You can see one of the FingerTech screw switches on the bottom. There are three of these, and they line up perfectly with the sampling holes in the AV bay band.
View attachment 403007
Here is a pic of the tracker showing the through bulkhead antenna straw. I added some heat shrink tube around the last 1.5" to give a bit of strength to where it interects with the bulkhead. You can see the bottom end of the CO2 cartridge, which screws into the center of the sled
View attachment 403008
I used a y harness connected directly to the U-bolts for the recovery harness on both ends. The threaded rods go through the center of the U-bolts and sled, the other bulkhead U-bolts centers.
View attachment 403010
Here is a clear pic from the bottom, showing the CO2 cartridge and the screw switches.
View attachment 403011
To connect the aft wiring harnesses to the through bulkhead terminals, I use min deans connectors. These connectors work very well for this purpose, although they are a bit challenging to solder.
View attachment 403012
Assembling this AV is not very easy. However, it is well sealed and firmly held together once the fight is over.
View attachment 403013
I am very particular with all my AV Bays and I put them through worst-case, unrealistice bench testing, while being held in the vice.
View attachment 403014
Nicely done! That hexagonal sled is a clever way to use virtually all of the volume in your bay. :cool:

This AV bay was my first fully redundant bay for my 54mm MD Carbon Fiber Madcow Tomach. I used this for my L2 and she now has 15 flights on her. I engaged Nat Kinsey to CNC cut the components, as well as help me with some of the design aspects. Nat is a great guy to deal with and full of a lot of good ideas.
27459504951_28772d9e9c_o.png
For my primary, I used a PerfectFlite SL100, originally with a 1S LiPo, but I subsequently switched to a 2S LiPo
41552676341_e91069390d_o.jpg
For backup, I used a PerfectFlite SLCF, with a 2-second delay. Again I initially used a 1S LiPo then switched to a 2S. Both altimeters are on separate magnetic switches that are situated at opposite ends and sides of the AV Bay. This allows me to reliably enable one without enabling the other. I also marked where the switches are located with red dots of paint on the airframe.
20150323_222927.jpg
For terminals, I used machine screws with Delron washers and inserts to pass the screws though, as the bulkheads are CF, which in case you are not aware, is conductive. The paint I use on the bulkheads is automotive engine high heat spray paint and holds up well. This pic was taken after about 1o flights and three or four years of usage.
31655933228_505fcf5d0c_o.jpg
My forward bulkhead. I had custom knurled nuts machined to allow for easy assembly, as these bulkheads are tight on real estate. 44614592945_2ac4de4774_o.jpg

Has anyone managed to mount two altimeters in a 38 mm AV bay? I'm trying to figure out a way to get two Eggtimer Quantums into the 38 mm x 6" coupler for my Blackhawk 38. I think I can do it, but it will be TIIIIIIIGHT!

Has anyone managed to mount two altimeters in a 38 mm AV bay? I'm trying to figure out a way to get two Eggtimer Quantums into the 38 mm x 6" coupler for my Blackhawk 38. I think I can do it, but it will be TIIIIIIIGHT!
What are your design goals - full redundancy? Switches to turn on the electronics? LiPo versus 9V? Etc. How much of your 6” coupler is actually usable (interference from bulkhead hardware, etc)? That would help bound the problem.

I have a CF 38mm Mongoose, and I looked at doing a fully redundant AV bay. However, in the end, I decided to take the easy route. So I used an RRC2+ altimeter with one of the Missleworks screw switches mounted on one of their 3D printed sleds. I have to redesign the bulkheads this winter and I may revisit a custom 3D printed dual bay setup.

At the time I did not have a 3D printer, so I was limited to using flat boards or going with a COTS 3D printed sled. When I got my first 3D printer, I quickly realized that this is one of the best usage cases for our hobby, altimeter sleds. I use TinkerCAD for design. My design process is to make a tube that fits within the AV bay coupler, then I create 3D designs of the components that I want to mount, and see how they fit within the tube.

Everybody-
All your posts are simply great. This thread has helped in giving me so many tips and ideas....I really hope it does the same for many others as well. Thanks again and keep posting your photos. It is so cool to see how people set up and design their bays.....so much great information here. Keep the photos and ideas coming!
THANKS!
Andrew

What are your design goals - full redundancy? Switches to turn on the electronics? LiPo versus 9V? Etc. How much of your 6” coupler is actually usable (interference from bulkhead hardware, etc)? That would help bound the problem.

Several years ago, a MD screamer came in ballistic ~10’ from my wife. I want to be sure I get separation, so I’m looking for full redundancy.

Here’s my thinking on a dual-altimeter 38 mm AV bay. I think I could get by with twist-and-tuck to alleviate the need for switches. Since I’m hoping to use the Quantums, this would just power them up; they would still be armed remotely by WiFi. The key to the plan is the nano-tech 300MAh 2S lipo.

It’s tight, but I think it will work. I’m planning to build two new Quantum’s for this project, and I think I’ll solder leads to the boards instead of the screw terminals to save a little more space.

IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0023.jpg

Several years ago, a MD screamer came in ballistic ~10’ from my wife. I want to be sure I get separation, so I’m looking for full redundancy.

Here’s my thinking on a dual-altimeter 38 mm AV bay. I think I could get by with twist-and-tuck to alleviate the need for switches. Since I’m hoping to use the Quantums, this would just power them up; they would still be armed remotely by WiFi. The key to the plan is the nano-tech 300MAh 2S lipo.

It’s tight, but I think it will work. I’m planning to build two new Quantum’s for this project, and I think I’ll solder leads to the boards instead of the screw terminals to save a little more space.

View attachment 403077
View attachment 403078

Yikes - that’s scary. Glad no one was injured in the ballistic event!

You’re heading in the same direction I was thinking. Guessing you’ll put the LIPOs on the opposite side of the sled as the altimeters, and secure them with zip-ties? My recommendation is to secure the batteries really well using a couple of ties in each axis so they can’t “squirt out” between adjacent zip-ties. I’ve seen folks use one oriented lengthwise and one width wise, which is not a robust securing of the batteries to my way of thinking.

One additional thought is that it appears you may be able to save a tiny bit of room if you were to mount the battery / altimeter on one side, and the second battery / altimeter on the opposite side of the sled. Hard to tell from the photos, so maybe that is not viable.

As you know, LiPOs can fail from mechanical damage to the cell(s), so if possible use a thin foam (like the pink foam that LiPOs are usually shipped in) between the batteries and zip-ties, and pull them snug but not so tight that there could be cell deformation.

QQ, are you dead set on Wi-Fi? 2 quarks will easily fit (I use them in in my BT-60 Mach 1 Speed Demon with is a 38mm mount that is just a stuffer tube. Then you can go with the micro JST connectors and those ultra-mini 1S Whoop batteries that are something like 3 grams each. I have two quarks and the little Venom batteries, but have not tried to fit them in a tube that small. (54mm MD only) I use a single M4 rod through the middle to hold things together on the BT-60. 3D printed sled I designed. Eric H on the forum in our club recently used the same setup to hit over 11k on an I59...

That's a lot to "squeeze" into a 4 inch long 38 mm bay. You may want to consider buying a 6 inch or longer bay to have enough room. If the space for your chute is too limited, you can also purchase (or cut) a 2 to 3 inch vent band to acquire some more room. Good luck!

Fred
Well, I've got a finished product that I'm pretty sure is going to work. I don't have a collection of advanced tools at my disposal so this is not as elegant as some. The battery just gets stuffed in under the sled, it doesn't even need to be secured, there's no room for it to go anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_20200112_192955.jpg
    IMG_20200112_192955.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20200112_193402.jpg
    IMG_20200112_193402.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 225
Well, I've got a finished product that I'm pretty sure is going to work. I don't have a collection of advanced tools at my disposal so this is not as elegant as some. The battery just gets stuffed in under the sled, it doesn't even need to be secured, there's no room for it to go anywhere.
Looks good-if the lipo bounces around too much, you could zip tie it to the back of the sled and run the lipo leads through a hole drilled into the sled.

Looks good-if the lipo bounces around too much, you could zip tie it to the back of the sled and run the lipo leads through a hole drilled into the sled.
I'd like to fly it this weekend but I've got to work. Maybe February.

Back