"The aliens are silent because they're dead"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
The aliens are silent because they're dead
January 21, 2016

https://phys.org/news/2016-01-aliens-silent-theyre-dead.html

Dr Chopra said their theory solved a puzzle.

"The mystery of why we haven't yet found signs of aliens may have less to do with the likelihood of the origin of life or intelligence and have more to do with the rarity of the rapid emergence of biological regulation of feedback cycles on planetary surfaces," he said.

A plausible solution to Fermi's paradox, say the researchers, is near universal early extinction, which they have named the Gaian Bottleneck.

-----

That stupidity has the unsually high reader share figure of 14768 shown at the bottom of that page, shares by what I would assume are people with above average critical thought skills. However, advancing that theory at this point in time based upon the fact that we haven't detected any alien transmissions is similar to a blind and deaf person sitting at center field at the Superbowl and claiming no one is in the stadium because they can't touch anyone with their outstretched arms. Here's why that's so:

-----

Our best SETI experiments to date could detect Earth-like “leakage” signals at no more than 1 light-year’s distance. So not too far. - DR. SETH SHOSTAK, January 2005

-----

Earth becoming invisible to aliens
Chances of earth being detected by alien life forms are disappearing because of the digital revolution, a leading space scientist has claimed.

At a special meeting on the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (Seti), the US astronomer Frank Drake – who has been seeking radio signals from alien civilisations for almost 50 years – told scientists that earthlings were making it less likely they would be heard in space.

"The trouble is that we are making ourselves more and more difficult to be heard," said Dr Drake. "We are broadcasting in much more efficient ways today and are making our signals fainter and fainter."

In the past, TV and radio programmes were broadcast from huge ground stations that transmitted signals at thousands of watts. These could be picked up relatively easily across the depths of space, astronomers calculated.

Now, most TV and radio programmes are transmitted from satellites that typically use only 75 watts and have aerials pointing toward Earth, rather than into space.

"For good measure, in America we have switched from analogue to digital broadcasting and you are going to do the same in Britain very soon," Drake added. "When you do that, your transmissions will become four times fainter because digital uses less power."

"Very soon we will become undetectable," he said. In short, in space no one will hear us at all.

What is true for humans would probably also be true for aliens, who may already have moved to much more efficient methods of TV and radio broadcasting. Trying to find ET from their favourite shows was going to be harder than we thought, Drake said.

-----

A good comment on this found on-line:

While I applaud the dedication of those involved with SETI, the premise that aliens are transmitting signals compatible with our pre-conceived notion of what those signals should look like seems almost silly. I sit here typing on a Wi-Fi network- cheap, consumer electronics technology - that just 50 or so years ago would have been utterly undetectable to even the most advanced terrestrial receivers. (not quite true, but frequency hopping and spread spectrum technologies would have definitely seemed like alien tech back then and spread spectrum uses wide band, noise-like signals spreading the RF power over a wide frequency range making transmissions harder to detect, especially at cosmological distances. - W)

In the very short amount of cosmological time we have been using radio waves, we have produced radio technologies today that are oriented to low-power, encrypted, spread spectrum, hidden signals that we couldn't have possibly conceived of or detected just a short time ago.

Imagine alien civilizations that have likely have been using radio signals much longer than 100 years. Why do we persist in thinking we could detect their transmissions that are not just 100 years more advanced than us, but perhaps thousands or millions?

We know that on earth we used narrowband signals such as would have been detectable by SETI for just a brief blip of cosmological time. It's silly and foolish to think such an extremely narrow time window of an alien civilization progressing in their use of radio technology really forms a good basis for detecting them with a program like SETI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time and distance are also a problem, given the speed of light limit on radio signals...what as the search for extraterrestrial life called...the long since dead trying to communicate with the yet born.

Another interesting book is "Alone in the Universe" by John Gribbin(2011). Gribbin states that there could be just one intelligent civilization in the Milky Way and we are it. This is an interesting read and the viewpoint that civilizations may be few and far between is probably worth thinking about, considering that the opposing and often prevalent viewpoint is that intelligent life abounds. Considering how many galaxies there are in the universe, intelligent life could be numerous, but separated my insurmountable distances. C.S. Lewis stated the viewpoint that perhaps the vast distances separating us from other intelligent species is God's way of quarantining a fallen species.

Dr. Chopra's viewpoint is well taken that the action of microbes is important. Many scientist attribute our oxygen atmosphere to the action of microbes eons ago. Gribbin points out other factors that make earth unique for being hospitable for life and those conditions may not occur very often.

Another interesting book is "Alone in the Universe" by John Gribbin(2011). Gribbin states that there could be just one intelligent civilization in the Milky Way and we are it. This is an interesting read and the viewpoint that civilizations may be few and far between is probably worth thinking about, considering that the opposing and often prevalent viewpoint is that intelligent life abounds. Considering how many galaxies there are in the universe, intelligent life could be numerous, but separated my insurmountable distances. C.S. Lewis stated the viewpoint that perhaps the vast distances separating us from other intelligent species is God's way of quarantining a fallen species.
Don't disagree with that at all, except the God part.

Dr. Chopra's viewpoint is well taken that the action of microbes is important. Many scientist attribute our oxygen atmosphere to the action of microbes eons ago. Gribbin points out other factors that make earth unique for being hospitable for life and those conditions may not occur very often.
My point that some seem to be missing is that you shouldn't say there's no one else out there simply because you don't hear them and then come up with a theory to explain why they don't exist as an explanation for why you aren't hearing them when it is actually far more likely that we wouldn't hear them even if they were there due to our minuscule detection range capability alone, 1 light year, not even taking into consideration their likely highly efficient, low power comm tech and modulation methods, assuming they even use RF. Not hearing them proves nothing and never will. "We don't hear them because they don't exist." "NO, you don't hear them because you CAN'T, a fault we can understand even with our crude technology."

Chopra's comment - "The mystery of why we haven't yet found signs of aliens may have less to do with the likelihood of the origin of life or intelligence and have more to do with the rarity of the rapid emergence of biological regulation of feedback cycles on planetary surfaces." It's no "mystery" for those who understand comm tech. He should branch out a bit knowledge wise before making statements like that instead of working entirely within his bubble of expertise.

This snowball's chance on a supernova of alien detection via alien RF is not a super easy fault to find mentioned on-line, I suspect because SETI listeners want funding.

Last edited:
Statistically speaking, with a sample of 1, we only have enough degrees of freedom to answer the question 'Is there intelligent life _somewhere_ in the universe?'

Yes, granting (for the moment) that we count as intelligent life.

Statistically speaking, with a sample of 1, we only have enough degrees of freedom to answer the question 'Is there intelligent life _somewhere_ in the universe?'

Yes, granting (for the moment) that we count as intelligent life.
Of course, that's obvious. But you can't make the claim that there's no one else simply because we don't hear them, saying, effectively, "The aliens are silent because they don't exist."

Have you seen James Lovelock's criticism of the Viking bio-detection experiments?
To paraphrase his analysis (I think I'm quoting, but YMMV) of how they worked, he said NASA reasoned thusly:
'Mars is a desert planet.
Deserts have camels.
Camels have fleas.
So to detect life on Mars, I shall build a flea-trap.'

Show me spectra of non-equilibrium atmospheres, please.

Can't make the "claim"? And here I thought it was only the fundies who didn't understand the scientific process.

Of course, that's obvious. But you can't make the claim that there's no one else simply because we don't hear them, saying, effectively, "The aliens are silent because they don't exist."

The use of the term, "Already", shows the ignorance of the human making the statement.
They may be "Already" dead in our timeline, but that does not mean that it is entirely impossible for them to be co-existent in a simultaneous yet un-observed continuum.
There are other worlds than these which we can see or detect.

Why do aliens always have to be far more advanced than the humabs on earth? Because the movies and what not says they are? Maybe they are just inventing the wheel or crawling from some primordial sludge.

Why do aliens always have to be far more advanced than the humabs on earth? Because the movies and what not says they are? Maybe they are just inventing the wheel or crawling from some primordial sludge.

Or, maybe some are let's say 1,000 years ahead of us... but live say 1,200 light years away. So even if we could technically receive their earliest crude radio signals across such a distance, we'd still have a few decades to go before those first ones would arrive here (same for them receiving ours). Unless... being 1,000 years ahead of us, they created technology to at least travel at the speed of light, and some far-flung exploration spacecraft of theirs might have picked us up by now (but such spacecraft could not pass that news on to their home planet fast enough for their home planet to know about us). Faster-than-light, or Trekian "Warp Drive", or Wormholes would change that, but the basic premise holds up regarding extreme distance and cultural technological evolution.

Sort of begs the question of whether it will ever really be possible to travel many times faster than light, or to really use wormholes to travel distances of light years in a much much shorter period of time. If no, it's all moot. If yes, about how many hundreds or thousands of years may it take to develop that technology, whether it's humans on Earth doing so eventually, or some ET's that indeed are so far advanced in technology that at the least they might discover we exist, even if not necessarily have the capability, or simply not have the desire, to come check Earth out in person.

So, I believe alien cultures are likely to exist, but don't think it is likely that they have dropped by.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Speculating about ET is good clean fun. Lots of passionate opinions. Next to no data. No way to definitively exclude anything. (Or nearly anything.)

Space is big. Time is deep. When it comes to SETI, or rather SETS - search for ET signals - we can at least set hard boundaries. No clearly non-natural signal has been found searching these parts of the sky, for such a time period, on these wavelengths with equipment of given sensitivity. I'm sure I'm even seen plots comparing searches with units like square degrees vs picowatt-wavelengths. You can define the unsearched area - but it still begs the question of are you even looking for the right thing. If you are using a tin horn to listen for the calliope music from the flea circus, to extend the Lovelock Martian flea analogy. (Not counting that turbulence in the ISM may make hash of signals in relatively short distances, much like aurora bounce turns nice clean dah-dih-dah-dih dah-dah-dih-dah into bursts of hisses. Both of which I think Winston is making the case for.) You may be able to exclude enough search 'area' to state with some certainty that no civilization is deliberately sending a beacon, trying to be found, in our mutually overlapping light cones. Which is pretty darn narrow an answer.

I think every other argument I've seen plays into the Drake Equation. What's the frequency of civilizations per billion star*years. This latest example, to me, plays into the term for likelihood of a planet bearing life (over geologic time frames.) I will admit that I haven't read the paper, but the sound-bites suggest that he's trying to argue that the probability of a life-forming planet developing a working 'gaia' feedback system (a la the same Lovelock mentioned above) and thus becoming a long-term life-bearing- planet may be small. That's just trying to set one of the Drake terms. And when push comes to shove, we have a real, measureable sample of 1. 0 degrees of freedom to answer any useful question. We may not be able to even imagine what we are missing. Even the notion that natural selection driven evolution within the biosphere can modulate the thermal and chemical state of the atmosphere, hydrosphere and parts of the lithosphere over geologic time frames isn't totally accepted 'science'.

On the question of 'given that geologically long-lasting civilizations can exist, and therefore must exist (or have in the past), and can travel among the stars, they must necessarily expand to fill their galaxy, so why aren't they here?' My personal feeling is that FTL technologies would be noisy in some sense. You'd be playing with fundamental forces at extreme levels to achieve effects that don't seem to happen in every day nature within view of telescopes. Which collect data on some pretty exotic conditions and places. So either they aren't possible in this universe (my guess) or they are 'noisy' where we aren't looking. Just what would the gravity wave signature of a wormhole or a warp drive look like?

Last edited:
To me, the Drake equation shows that anything beyond "we don't know" is not science but sci-fi. Sci-fi is fun. So let's continue.

One could take the extra-dimensional approach. Imagine a 2D being on a sheet of paper, put another sheet of paper on top and draw on it. The 2D being isn't going to see whats just 0.01" away in the 3rd dimension. If an advanced civilization exists in, or can travel via just one dimension away, we could be right next to them and never know. Remember, all we know of the world has to filter through our measly 5 senses or it "doesn't exist" :eyeroll:

In the end it's use your best judgment. Do I believe aliens have contacted or visited Earth? I don't know. Do I believe alien life forms exist at all? I don't know. It's fun to wonder though. Either answer to "Are we alone?" is profound.

Do you live in a trailer? Rural GA or WV?

Rural WV.... why? Does it matter?

(PS: Anyone who wants to dis WV should read the short story by Lawence Watt-Evans called "Why I Left Harry's All Night Hamburgs" which won a Hugo award a number of years ago. Also, it was brilliantly read onto audio tape by Will Weaton (of Westley Crusher fame).

Coincidentally, I just watched Galaxy Quest on TV this weekend. Great movie on this topic! ;)

Ironically, "Galaxy Quest" is a much better movie than the Star Trek movies that they were parodying and were being released at the time.
(ALSO, the 'rock monster' that the captain fights in GQ is exactly the thing that William Shattner WANTED for the big ending at the end of Star Trek V, but unfortunately, was denied the budget to animate or to build correctly. Therefore, as it was shot, it didn't work.)

It's funny that the announcement that "There not here because they are already dead" coincides nicely with the narrative of the new X-Files Mini-series.....

I smell a CONSPIRACY!!!:confused:

When it comes to Aliens, you can make up anything because we know absolutely nothing and will believe everything in the absence of definitive or tangible data.

I want to believe.:wink:

Speculating about ET is good clean fun. Lots of passionate opinions. Next to no data. No way to definitively exclude anything. (Or nearly anything.)

Space is big. Time is deep. When it comes to SETI, or rather SETS - search for ET signals - we can at least set hard boundaries. No clearly non-natural signal has been found searching these parts of the sky, for such a time period, on these wavelengths with equipment of given sensitivity. I'm sure I'm even seen plots comparing searches with units like square degrees vs picowatt-wavelengths. You can define the unsearched area - but it still begs the question of are you even looking for the right thing. If you are using a tin horn to listen for the calliope music from the flea circus, to extend the Lovelock Martian flea analogy. (Not counting that turbulence in the ISM may make hash of signals in relatively short distances, much like aurora bounce turns nice clean dah-dih-dah-dih dah-dah-dih-dah into bursts of hisses. Both of which I think Winston is making the case for.) You may be able to exclude enough search 'area' to state with some certainty that no civilization is deliberately sending a beacon, trying to be found, in our mutually overlapping light cones. Which is pretty darn narrow an answer.

I think every other argument I've seen plays into the Drake Equation. What's the frequency of civilizations per billion star*years. This latest example, to me, plays into the term for likelihood of a planet bearing life (over geologic time frames.) I will admit that I haven't read the paper, but the sound-bites suggest that he's trying to argue that the probability of a life-forming planet developing a working 'gaia' feedback system (a la the same Lovelock mentioned above) and thus becoming a long-term life-bearing- planet may be small. That's just trying to set one of the Drake terms. And when push comes to shove, we have a real, measureable sample of 1. 0 degrees of freedom to answer any useful question. We may not be able to even imagine what we are missing. Even the notion that natural selection driven evolution within the biosphere can modulate the thermal and chemical state of the atmosphere, hydrosphere and parts of the lithosphere over geologic time frames isn't totally accepted 'science'.

On the question of 'given that geologically long-lasting civilizations can exist, and therefore must exist (or have in the past), and can travel among the stars, they must necessarily expand to fill their galaxy, so why aren't they here?' My personal feeling is that FTL technologies would be noisy in some sense. You'd be playing with fundamental forces at extreme levels to achieve effects that don't seem to happen in every day nature within view of telescopes. Which collect data on some pretty exotic conditions and places. So either they aren't possible in this universe (my guess) or they are 'noisy' where we aren't looking. Just what would the gravity wave signature of a wormhole or a warp drive look like?

Good Post!

It is interesting to note that Arthur Clarke, who used star-gates and advanced space travel in his sci-fi novels, stated in his non-fiction books like "Promise of Space" that such conjectures are really "narrative devices" that are without physical merit at this time. One conjecture that A. Clarke put forward is that extraordinary principles of fact are usually found in nature before being taking of advantage of by humans. For example, a physical object traveling faster than the speed of sound had been happening with flags flapping in the wind or bull whips cracking for hundred of years before humans were able to travel faster than sound, and, yet, there was a time after WWII that some people were saying that humans would never break the sound barrier. However, as Clarke pointed out that there is no evidence of any physical object ever going faster than the speed of light in nature.

The Drake equation has so many variables that people have come up with numbers for intelligent civilizations in the Milky Way being somewhere between 1 and 10,000. This is hardly a definitive conclusion.

It is interesting to note that Arthur Clarke, who used star-gates and advanced space travel in his sci-fi novels, stated in his non-fiction books like "Promise of Space" that such conjectures are really "narrative devices" that are without physical merit at this time. One conjecture that A. Clarke put forward is that extraordinary principles of fact are usually found in nature before being taking of advantage of by humans. For example, a physical object traveling faster than the speed of sound had been happening with flags flapping in the wind or bull whips cracking for hundred of years before humans were able to travel faster than sound, and, yet, there was a time after WWII that some people were saying that humans would never break the sound barrier. However, as Clarke pointed out that there is no evidence of any physical object ever going faster than the speed of light in nature.

The Drake equation has so many variables that people have come up with numbers for intelligent civilizations in the Milky Way being somewhere between 1 and 10,000. This is hardly a definitive conclusion.

Well said!!!:cheers:

It is virtually impossible to prove a negative - such as that something doesn't exist.
The lack of evidence that something does exist does not mean that the "something" doesn't exist.
Plus throw in conspiracy theories and you really cannot prove a negative

There are many things mankind decided did not exist until they finally did find the right evidence

Most of the people claiming no alien life exists are trying to do that - prove something does NOT exist.

I do feel issues with FTL travel could/would limit the ability for them to "drop in" for a visit.
And signal to noise ratios would eliminate any real chance of capturing intelligent signals.
And we also have to consider timing - the delay of their signals reaching us versus both their and our technologies? Did their signals reach us during our Bronze Age where we did not have the technology? Or are their signals still in transit to us and won't arrive for another century or so? Can we even recognize their signals? Would we be able to detect their signals? As an example, would our old AM technology have been able to pickup a digital encoded satellite signal?

While I obviously have no proof that aliens do exist, I do believe with the nearly infinite expanse of the universe (and possibly even other universes in different dimensions) that life probably exists elsewhere. But I have no means to PROVE that life cannot or does not exist somewhere besides our one planet....

It is virtually impossible to prove a negative - such as that something doesn't exist.
The lack of evidence that something does exist does not mean that the "something" doesn't exist.
Plus throw in conspiracy theories and you really cannot prove a negative

There are many things mankind decided did not exist until they finally did find the right evidence

Most of the people claiming no alien life exists are trying to do that - prove something does NOT exist.

I do feel issues with FTL travel could/would limit the ability for them to "drop in" for a visit.
And signal to noise ratios would eliminate any real chance of capturing intelligent signals.
And we also have to consider timing - the delay of their signals reaching us versus both their and our technologies? Did their signals reach us during our Bronze Age where we did not have the technology? Or are their signals still in transit to us and won't arrive for another century or so? Can we even recognize their signals? Would we be able to detect their signals? As an example, would our old AM technology have been able to pickup a digital encoded satellite signal?

While I obviously have no proof that aliens do exist, I do believe with the nearly infinite expanse of the universe (and possibly even other universes in different dimensions) that life probably exists elsewhere. But I have no means to PROVE that life cannot or does not exist somewhere besides our one planet....

Good points and agreed.

2 likely scenarios come into my head if aliens do exist:
1. They are good in which case they would have see how we treat each other and decided "better not get involved"
2. They are bad in which case we won't know about them until they come to take over

Back