THE Airborne Surveillance Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK... maybe not the best way...

This is weird... The paint on my booster section is raised away from the corners. The paint worked its way away from where the adhesive fillets are... I shot the booster with gloss black and saw the grey primer on the joints...

The booster is ruined, so needless to say ... starting over.

fm

Hi FM! Great to put a face to the name at the last HARA meeting.

I've been using Rustoleum 2X so far. The primer is nice and sandable after 12 hrs, and the paint is cured for masking and handling at 48 (can pull tape ~24 so far). I've gotten into a good rhythm with it by spraying one evening, working on a different piece (or different rocket) the next day, then putting on the next color the 2nd day. Helped my rocket patience for sure.

Hi FM! Great to put a face to the name at the last HARA meeting.

I've been using Rustoleum 2X so far. The primer is nice and sandable after 12 hrs, and the paint is cured for masking and handling at 48 (can pull tape ~24 so far). I've gotten into a good rhythm with it by spraying one evening, working on a different piece (or different rocket) the next day, then putting on the next color the 2nd day. Helped my rocket patience for sure.

Same to ya!

Yeah the painting thing has always been a sore spot with me... and it cost me 12$ this week. But, nice to see you at the meeting; if you know anybody interested in this bring them along. The more the merrier!

fm

I've tried most paints out there and they all have their pluses and minuses. Rustleum gives the best finish when it works, but the spattering finally made me go back to old formula Krylon. Also Rustoleum added considerable amount of weight to my rockets. Testors is really nice but expensive for those little cans. I hate when my paint job does not go as planned and I have sand and repaint, but I think it happens to all of us.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481295078.573750.jpg

Well here it is, mistakes and all...

Might get lucky with booster as the rounded ring can get sanded flat because it'll have a white decal over it

Still a fun build!

Fm

Last edited:
Looks great, I didn't see any mistakes, and I looked. Nothing wrong with wanting to build another one though :)

Looks great! I just finished mine today, assembly that is....have to wait on weather to paint. I thought this little kit was a lot of fun to build.

Thanks ALL for the kind words! Hope it was fun to watch me flail about with hair on fire...

Nope seriously, it was a ton of fun!

Stats:
Final Weight 25 grams (weighed 19g bare without finishing supplies)
Decals will be added after the cold weather breaks (hopefully not until early next year!)

Thanks again!

fm

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back