THE Airborne Surveillance Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever_Metal

JustAnotherBAR
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello TRF!

After receiving the kits a week ago, can now finally start the build on kit #1. :clap::clap::w::w::headbang::headbang:

This will be a mostly by the book build, with some deviation thrown in when appropriate. Check back often; if ya see something I'm screwing up or going WAAAAAY overboard, tips as always are appreciated!

fm

Last edited:
First, please accept my apologies for the poor pic quality, all I have is my trusty old iphone 5...

Off to the races!

Here's the ORK file.

View attachment 0_Airborne Surveillance Missile.ork

Just an FYI, some liberties were taken due to OR's inability to handle certain aspects of the design...

Such as...
1) The bracing (colored grey to contrast, should be black) forward of the centering ring on the booster body
2) The booster tube that has to be split into 2 pieces because a "Body Tube" can't be modeled inside another body tube, nor can an "Inner Tube" have fins attached
3) The size of the lettering is weird due to actual size from within Paint; haven't figured out how to model these yet!

This file is a work in progress so it will be updated as time permits and changes needed!!!**

Now the motor mount...

IMG_0014[1].jpg

Everything measured and glued using Sig-Bond. Also removed gassine layer of body tube .0625 wide for each fin to attach. This way the glue soaks into the tube making a stronger joint.

The nose cone

IMG_0031[1].jpg

This poor thing is going to be soaked in wood hardener then smoothed up with sanding sealer (got a new bottle of AG just for this!)

fm

Attachments

• 0_Airborne Surveillance Missile.ork
    2.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
On to the fins...

After much deliberation and a major amount of soul searching :facepalm:, I decided to paper the booster fins and seal the others after attaching them...

Yeah, we'll just wait a while and see if it stays that way...:eyeroll:

Prepping of the fins

IMG_0015[1].jpg

After cutting them (all fins) free of their balsary bonds, and sanding to match, marked the LE with a sharpie

IMG_0018[1].jpgIMG_0017[1].jpg

To get them rounded over, used 220 grit paper (150 will eat this thin stuff quick!). It only took a few swipes back and forth (kinda like stropping a straight razor) before a rounded edge emerged. I stopped when a pencil thin line remained.

IMG_0019[1].jpgIMG_0022[1].jpgIMG_0023[1].jpg

Now that that is finished, on to the papering...

I use Avery full sheet labels here, and cut out a piece large enough to cover front and back with the round-over at the LE. After placing the fin on the paper, I press it on using a flat piece of plastic. I personally like to trim as I go, rather than all at once, but either way works...

IMG_0026[1].jpg

Before I roll the LE over completely, I start it, then add a few drops of a super-thin CA to the LE before rolling it the rest of the way. This helps reduce separation of the paper from the balsa (looks like a bubble under the paper) at the LE during weather changes and such; especially if the LE isn't as straight as it should be. More than a few paint jobs needed fixing because of that...

IMG_0028[1].jpg

And this fine gem is what we end up with. I'll seal all edges 2x's with the thin CA, then as a final step will seal the paper with a thin coat of that very same CA. A little sanding and they'll be good to go!

IMG_0029[1].jpgIMG_0030[1].jpg

While I was at it, and on somewhat of a roll, decided to, ahem, paper the other fins too... Even the tiny b$%^@#*s up top. In the end, it was all worth it. At this point everything's papered up and edges sealed; luckily only added about a gram to total weight (without paper they weighed 4.3 grams) so performance won't take a huge hit.

Next up we'll be sealing the paper, then attaching them to the body tubes...

'Till next time

fm

I missed the Airborne Surveillance missile when it first came out. Not sure if the design didn't click with me or what.

About 6 years ago I decided to Down Scale the Missile a BT-5/T3 Micro Maxx powered model. it came out pretty well. Nice to see the orignial model is back in production.
Hope you have as much fun with your new Rocket as I've had with this downscale.

MM 372_MM T3-T5 Airborne Surveillance Missile_04-17-11.jpg

MM 372Lp01a_Airborne surveillance Missile on Pad 1st flt_05-21-11.JPG

MM 372Lp02d_MM AirborneSurveillanceMissile Liftoff_11-19-11.jpg

I missed the Airborne Surveillance missile when it first came out. Not sure if the design didn't click with me or what.

About 6 years ago I decided to Down Scale the Missile a BT-5/T3 Micro Maxx powered model. it came out pretty well. Nice to see the orignial model is back in production.
Hope you have as much fun with your new Rocket as I've had with this downscale.

I will MM!

As a matter of fact, I've begun planning my L3 (since we can't fly in AL due to burn ban, plenty of plan time available), and since my 1st fav (Interceptor) has already been upscaled to HPR size, this bird wins.

fm

Ha Ha Ha. Hurry up and wait.
That's what my dad always told me when I asked him about his Marine carrier in WWII.
Dad never wanted to talk about the way, never even watched movies about the Pacific Theater.
But Looking forward to your build. Never know when and old fart like me just might learn something.

Just as old, retired in 2009! I can't watch movies about recent wartime either. My wife says after I saw the Hurt Locker i was having nightmares for over a week. She won't let me go anymore...

FM

Last edited:
Since windows, itunes and I are not in agreement right now I'll have to forgo the photos for a day or two...

edit 21 Nov 2016 (ok, here they are...)

This is a short update, so off we go!!

1.jpg

Here's the guide I made from avery full sheet label and foam board (i use the excess label to paper the fins)

2.jpg

Here's the start of the finning.

3.jpg

Here's the final look. Fin guides are very usefull; they help line stuff up and can be used as a holding fixture till the glue sets... WOA; use 'em!!

4.jpg

Fortunately for me I have 2 of these kits, as today I learned that the bracing ring (the one that has the dowel tabs on it), as it dried it ever so slightly rotated off of the line that I drew to keep it centered with the rear fins... My advice is to tack it down with CA first, then run over it with the SigBond. After all is said and done the rotation of the ring is not too extremely noticeable (Yes I'm a perfectionist when it comes to lining things up and I get fairly crazy about that part :facepalm:, almost threw it out to start over :y:).

I CA'd the fins (sorry no pic), and will sand them smooth (just to the point of getting rid of the shine from the glue). I also CA'd the motor tube, as without it the tube is fairly weak and flexible.

added 10:22am : It appears I have a workaround (tell me what you think)... I'll coat the paper ring tabs in CA, sand them smooth, then move the attachment point towards the center of the ring, placing it inside the diamter of the sustainer...

Next up: Dowels, sustainer fins and the ever so wonderfull filling of the balsa nose.

'Till next time!

fm

Last edited:
Well, it is now fairly complete...

1.jpg

Bottom sustainer fins going on... Fin guides are great! I actually made these a little tighter so they would hold the fin, and after every fin was glued on i rotated 90 deg and glued the next

2.jpg

Here's another view... Used the same guide for the top fins also

3.jpg

This my friends is what it's all about (IMHO anyway), seeing the whole machine in it's final shape. The shape and design of this bird is why this will be an awesome upscale... (smaller booster fins tho')

fm

Last edited:
I just finished the original from Estes and it was a fun build. I am now done building the new released kit from Estes and the laser cut parts are perfect. I built mine in 2 hours and when I get back home from my vacation I'll begin sealing the balsa parts. Once again a nice kit from Estes.

I just finished the original from Estes and it was a fun build. I am now done building the new released kit from Estes and the laser cut parts are perfect. I built mine in 2 hours and when I get back home from my vacation I'll begin sealing the balsa parts. Once again a nice kit from Estes.

+1

million! I've got about a buck and a half or so of actual build time too; plus the added bonus of not having to fill and sand 7 times. One fill and sand then ready for primer :cheers::clap::cheers:! With the CA's today these small rockets can go together as quickly as the insta-cure medium sets up. AAMOF, I've probably spent more time making the fixtures (need guides and such as I'm building 2 of these) than I have actually gluing things together. #2 will be ready for paint in less than an hour I bet...

fm

Last edited:
+1

million! I've got about a buck and a half or so of actual build time too; plus the added bonus of not having to fill and sand 7 times. One fill and sand then ready for primer :cheers::clap::cheers:! With the CA's today these small rockets can go together as quickly as the insta-cure medium sets up. AAMOF, I've probably spent more time making the fixtures (need guides and such as I'm building 2 of these) than I have actually gluing things together. #2 will be ready for paint in less than an hour I bet...

fm

Trust me there will be no sanding 7 times. 3 coats of sanding sealer and that's it. Heck I don't even use primer so not sanding there. I wish I would have brought my build with me I have had time to work on it. Oh well. I get home on Sat but it is supposed to rain so not painting until next week.

Trust me there will be no sanding 7 times. 3 coats of sanding sealer and that's it. Heck I don't even use primer so not sanding there. I wish I would have brought my build with me I have had time to work on it. Oh well. I get home on Sat but it is supposed to rain so not painting until next week.

SCIGS30 you've been seduced by the "minimalist" school. :) Enjoying the build Forever_Metal.

And now the gluing is done (except the joining of the booster and sustainer)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1480018698.074335.jpg

I'll be sealing the nose cone then I'll prime it Saturday!

Hope you can still move after eating!!

FM

Looking good. Got any tips or tricks for sanding all the wood framing toward the bottom?

There are a few...

For me (cause I'm not a ga-zillionaire) I take a popsicle stick and split it to whatever size I need, then use the adhesive backed sand paper from my t-block and join it together. If you have a few dollars to spend, I'd use

sanding blocks - https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith...-511-000-002&gclid=COLDwtTfy9ACFReXfgod3rAH1w

--or--

sanding needles - https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag.../product.php?gclid=CPaGuOLfy9ACFU6Ufgod814Dtw

After hitting it with the above to remove fuzzies, I then go over the whole thing again with

red or green scotch-brite - https://www.rshughes.com/c/Hand-Pads/1152

to finish smoothing everything out and to feather any rough edges. After that, I go straight to paint+primer (trying to keep weight down)

hope this helps!

fm

Last edited:
Sanding the detail at the bottom would definitely test my patience.

Looking forward to seeing it fly.

On my vintage build I brushed on 2 coats of AeroGloss sealer, sanded smooth then cut and glued. They came out smooth with no additional sanding.

On my vintage build I brushed on 2 coats of AeroGloss sealer, sanded smooth then cut and glued. They came out smooth with no additional sanding.

Good advice, too late for this build, but that's really the best way to approach a build like this; prep parts prior to gluing into place. In many ways I prefer AeroGloss Balsa Filler to papering or CWF.

Good advice, too late for this build, but that's really the best way to approach a build like this; prep parts prior to gluing into place. In many ways I prefer AeroGloss Balsa Filler to papering or CWF.

I forgot to mention it but i did seal up the rod with med CA before cutting. The only thing I'm really dealing with is a little fuzz on the body tubes. I love the AG also, but it is unavailable here now, so I've gone to using minwax wood hardener and sanding sealer if I can't paper and CA it up

fm

I love the AG also, but it is unavailable here now, so I've gone to using minwax wood hardener and sanding sealer if I can't paper and CA it up

fm

I was in my local HobbyTown USA last week and he had 2 jars on the shelf. I'm about due to replace my jars, so I'll be buying at least one of his this week or next. And I also think I saw it available on the ASP website IIRC. If you'd like I could get a jar for you too and send it your way.

I was in my local HobbyTown USA last week and he had 2 jars on the shelf. I'm about due to replace my jars, so I'll be buying at least one of his this week or next. And I also think I saw it available on the ASP website IIRC. If you'd like I could get a jar for you too and send it your way.

Thanks for the offer TJ, though it is likely that I will never run out of this stuff... The sanding sealer quart will go on forever...

fm

Back