The Aerotech Black Powder Pellet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hybrid33

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for Help/info on reproducing the Aerotech Black Powder Pellet, for the Hybrids that they once produced !

I've never seen one, but by the below instructions for the 54mm motor...it's flexable.

Inspect the Pyrovalve™ element (short, solid black pellet, 5/8" O.D X
1/4" thick) for chips, cracks or other defects. Check the structural
integrity of the Pyrovalve™ element by grasping with the thumb and
forefingers of both hands and flexing the element back and forth with
moderate force.

Tony

Last edited:
I've never seen one, but by the below...it's flexable.

Inspect the Pyrovalve™ element (short, solid black pellet, 5/8" O.D X
1/4" thick) for chips, cracks or other defects. Check the structural
integrity of the Pyrovalve™ element by grasping with the thumb and
forefingers of both hands and flexing the element back and forth with
moderate force.

Tony

Given that description it might have been some type of APCP propellant.

Yes.
I've got a friend who has a system he is interested in selling to me. If we make a deal I'll measure and photograph the pyrovalve and post them here. It'll be awhile, maybe March.

Whether or not it goes through, detailed photos of the individual components would be pretty great :)

I've never seen one, but by the below instructions for the 54mm motor...it's flexable.

If it does flex then it is defective. It was a compressed puck of BP.

I have seen them, used them, and still have a few.

With the equipment most people have or are willing to buy I cannot recommend making black powder pellets.
I have done it in an industrial setting, remote press, lots of distance and concrete between me and the pellet. Even a small pellet going off in the press does incredible damage.
Black powder from the can, like we use for ejection charges, will not make good pellets as the powder granules are coated with graphite.

M

If I am remembering correctly , and it has been close to 15 years since I watched somebody fly one , the nitrous tank is shaped just like a conventional paintball tank. When you screw the tank onto the forward bulkhead , the little machined pin openes the tank. The BP pellet seals the N2o till launch .

Eric

If it's to preheat and release the nitrous, how about a small APCP slug?

If you have the measurements, I'm sure someone could whip up a batch for you. I don't know if you can ship them though, so might have to be local. I don't know the rules for shipping propellant, as I've never had to do it. :)

The instructions say it cannot be flexible - I don't know how flexible regular APCP would be compared to what is needed. You'd be better off making RNX propellant with better mechanical properties.

Edward

If you have some QuickDip, you might try giving that a go. When I store it and the acetone drys up, it does for a nice puck in the container. Just a thought.

I would shy away from solid QuickDip. I've seen products like that deflagrate very, very rapidly.

I want to thank all that replied !
What I was/am looking for, is someone who has actually reproduced these, whether with epoxy or otherwise.

I want to thank all that replied !
What I was/am looking for, is someone who has actually reproduced these, whether with epoxy or otherwise.

Did you ever try contacting Aerotech about them. RCS has a 120 page manual on the system listing parts suppliers/ manufacturers for the system. It cost $40.00, but maybe since you have the system maybe they would be gracious enough to at least let you know who made the pyro valves for them. Could be they are no longer made, and then you never know!

I have a few of the aerotech hybrids (to be honest haven't launched them yet), plus I had a long talk with Gary from Arotech.

1) not AP, too soft
2) not pyrodex, too brittle (I looked at using Pyrodex for pyrovalves and found the compression strength to be very poor.
3) it is.... BP motor. Hard, easy to light and strong.

Mike K

Back