THAT's the igniter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Found this interesting on Twitter this morning and I thought some of you would be similarly interested.

The garbage can sized thing on the crane is the igniter.

Orbital ATK technicians perform igniter installation on the forward segment of the @NASA_SLS EM-1A booster

C0Q4oY2XUAAaaII.jpg

Hey, orbital has Head End Ignition, how about it Aerotech, CTI ?

I'm not sure that the issue is with the manufacturers. I believe it may be with the NFPA docs or testing/certifying organizations.

I believe most professional aerospace solids have head-end ignition, as it's the proven way to go.

Greg

Found this interesting on Twitter this morning and I thought some of you would be similarly interested.

The garbage can sized thing on the crane is the igniter.

Starter... That thing is a STARTER. We wouldn't want to offend... Well... Whoever it was that was offended by "igniter" in the first place.:confused2:

They are going to need a TON of TP wadding to tamp that thing in, though...

:p

(Very cool pic John, thanks for posting!)

Nothing in our safety codes or NFPA specifically prohibits head end ignition. One problem is how to comply with the rules that require insertion of the igniter either at the pad or at a preparation area that's a safe distance from uninvolved parties. Another problem has to do with the practical challenges of system testing a rocket before final arming. That's something I didn't understand well and had to have Jim Jarvis explain.
Manufacturers are interested in this as well.

Steve Shannon

Lol, that's more rocket fuel then some of us will ever use in our lifetime.

*Cough* Igniter *Cough cough*

Aren't we doing head end ignition since we shove the igniter all the way to the top of the motor, or am I seriously confused???

Aren't we doing head end ignition since we shove the igniter all the way to the top of the motor, or am I seriously confused???

Head end ignition implies inserting starter (igniter) into motor from the forward end of motor as opposed to the aft end.

Space shuttle being a 4 "grain" (segment) system.

The SLS is 5 segment and stands solidly in the AE range.
I forget how many thousand mm's those relaods are. Pro3600s anybody?

I can't be the only one thinking that with large SRB's coming back, the surplus AP will be following soon-ish. What was the lag time when the shuttle program was going?

here is some youtube goodness

[video=youtube;XIJG0klUVhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIJG0klUVhw[/video]

[video=youtube;H0BgLPq6PkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BgLPq6PkE[/video]

Back