That's Odd... Argent Instructions...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Was looking over my new (damaged) Argent (with decals dated 12/02/12) when I saw something odd with the instructions...

It appears that the fins are all messed up... One's on backwards, and the other looks nothing like the actual fins.

I went to the website, and I found this...

Anybody else catch this?

Did I (by opening it) and UPS (by crushing it) mess up a collectable? ;)

Last edited:
The difference in the decals? Pretty insignificant if you ask me.

looks like the instructions have been that way since the beginning. I've got one from the 1st production run with the same picture :). when you go to attach the forward lug, it goes 15" forward from the rear of the rocket centered over the body tube join.
Rex

FAIW I read somewhere that the package art these days are computer generated images vs. photos. Much easier to draw a fin wrong than to not notice you build it with one backwards.

I just started one of my Argents....same instructions....the motor mount directions are incorrect as well. I'm glad I've built a few of these so I could recognize it....blindly follow the directions with the motor mount and it's position in the body tube and you'll have a significantly weakened structure.

I just started one of my Argents....same instructions....the motor mount directions are incorrect as well. I'm glad I've built a few of these so I could recognize it....blindly follow the directions with the motor mount and it's position in the body tube and you'll have a significantly weakened structure.

and???? The directions should say?

dunno I didn't see anything odd either...but then I don't go strictly by the instructions when it comes to building/installing the motor mount. for one thing I leave the aft ring off until I've done the internal fillets.
Rex

When you assemble the motor mount, the centering rings go at either end with the spacer set from the end. The center ring is offset from the middle as you use the fin roots to determine the spacing. This gives a "short" end and a "long" end.

The "short" end is the rear, where the fin roots go through the BT and attach to the motor tube and centering rings. The "long" end is the forward section, ahead of the fins.

In step 1.8, the assembly is pictured backward. In step 2.1, the glue positions inside the BT are correct but the picture of the motor assembly being inserted is backward.

If you assemble it this way, you end up with an unglued center ring, and a fin root adhered to the motor tube and aft centering ring, but not the middle ring.

Perhaps, when the instructions were written, part A (motor tube) was shorter? If so, the instructions would be correct for the shorter tube....but they are not for the supplied longer motor tube. (At least in the kit I got)

hmm, once I get the centering rings glued I know which end is which and how the mount is supposed to be facing, I kind of bounce over those pictures. incidentally the instructions for the 1st run Ventris have the same booboo.
Rex

"WE" catch it.....but what about someone building one for the first time....trying to be careful and following the instructions?

wait.. yours came with decals??? mine didn't have any. i had to paint on all the black and orange stripes!

wait, you did yours with Orange stripes?
Rex

Attachments

• argentfin 001.jpg
    argentfin 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 23
Was looking over my new (damaged) Argent (with decals dated 12/02/12) when I saw something odd with the instructions...

It appears that the fins are all messed up... One's on backwards, and the other looks nothing like the actual fins.

The fin wasn't glued on backwards, the upper corner just didn't get printed.
There was a piece of red tape stuck over an open area on the negative or a bad plate mask.
The fin is "still there", the leading edge corner just didn't get burned on the printing plate.

oooohhh... I wanted to do that, and I forgot. Nutz!

Or.....get all excited and not paying attention....install the motor mount assembly....come back later and notice the eyebolt and steel leader sitting on the workbench.....

I wonder who built that Argent, and if they feel Dumb now.:point:
I'm not buying that story about it being a "Printing Error". :no:

Started a Partizon last night. Essentially the same instructions....just a few key differences....but same art repurposed for much of it.

Back