Thats a lotta motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavRedf

Reaction score
The anti terorist police have seized half a ton of ammonium nitrate today.
If they had also found half a ton of sugar it would make approx 100.000 motors.Seriously I doubt that it could be used in the local allottments in Hanwell W.London so it seems the police may have foiled an explosion here in the UK.
Several people have been arrested in connection with this operation though none have been charged with anything as yet.

David

they only captured the chemicals right? they werent AN motors were they?

That is a lot of motors...

I just dread to think where they got so much AN ! And what they where planning on using it on !:confused: :(

Well after reading the story in: The telegraph, The Daily Mail, The Guardian, The times and some others, the 1/2 tonne of AN was taken from Ferteliser. They were planning to use it on "soft targets", busses, trains and a lorry full of it in a shopping centre in London :eek: It was found in a Lock Up in west London!

Originally posted by Karl
I just dread to think where they got so much AN ! And what they where planning on using it on !:confused: :(

Hi karl,great to see some one else on the Forum from up north.AN is freely available and it is quite usual for it to be sold in large amounts.saying that, it is normally sold for farming and horticulteral purposes.
karl,will you be going to the WIRREL ROCKETRY SOCIETY meeting in April??

Sorry Karl - didn't notice you're a Brit. I'd unconciously read 'Merseyside' as 'Massachusetts'. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum

Well AN which is found in Weedkiller is mixed up of different compounds , and one of thsoe compunds breaks down the AN , so if it is removed purposely , it is useless.

LOL , so i take it your from USA then ?
Yep im going to the Wirral Rocket Society launch in april are you?:D

Ohh , sorry about that , I forgot to thank you for welcoming me to the forum !
-Karl :)

Well I read Merseyside and just thought it was somewhere in the US... Welcome to the forum anyway! :)

And this thread has been posted in by almost all the active british members on the forum. Theres me; Cydermaster; Arthur Dent;DavRedf; PWALPOCO; Mike and Hokkyusiuois or however you spell it ;) (forgive me if ive forgotten anyone!) If you wanna talk more, every SATURDAY NIGHT 8PM IN THE CHAT ROOM some of us will be there :)

Back on topic: On the point of them being motors:
A) That would cost alot!
B) I dont think we have that many in the UK anyway lol
C) Someone would think it a little bit suspicious if someone bought 1/2 tonne of motors.

I carried out an experiment today. No I didnt blow anything up

I Phoned 2 agricultural suppliers and asked about ammonium nitrate fertiliser. I got one answer "you need a licence to buy that sir" and 1 Yes sir that is £145-00 per tonne. Where would you like it delivered and are you paying by credit card?

WOW
Luckily I am not a terrorist. The local ,to them, police have been informed.

David

karl, yep im of to the wirral launch.i'll be picking up loads of goodies from deepsky and ill be proudly wearing my TRF t-shirt
:cool: :cool:

I used to work on my family's farm - and I would buy AN by the ton all the time. We would have it delivered in a dump truck into a bin that we had. It's pretty common here in the US - the McMurrah building in Oklahoma City fell victim to a bomb that had AN in it. I went in the other day to buy some for my garden and vegetables and the guy kidded me that I was only buying a 50# sack - not my usually order. FWIW

Edward

Originally posted by arthur dent
karl, yep im of to the wirral launch.i'll be picking up loads of goodies from deepsky and ill be proudly wearing my TRF t-shirt
:cool: :cool:

Yep Ill be picking up my Pro38 2grain casing at the next launch , also ALOT of motors , kits , ect from deepsky. Grrrr i've been after a good shirt to wear for launches , Deepsky have there own out now ;) But if you could get me a TRF one for the next launch that will be great ?
-Karl:)

Back