That was then; this is now - a look back 50 years ago

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More memories of '72:
Working on my car. Adjusting dwell angle and timing.
Setting the gap on the points.
Adjusting the carb mixture and idle speed.
Lubing the suspension and changing motor oil every 3000 miles.
Vinyl seats and landau tops.
Whitewalls.
Bias ply tires.
Recaps.
4 wheel drum brakes.
Heh.

All the things of the past have mostly gone. All of today's things are here temporary, Things of the future seam unreachable.
I like looking back at simpler times and wish they were still that way, to some degree.
Here's something, a little something to work your brains on.
Try and imagine what model rocketry will be like in 50 years?
Will it be common for the average Joe to go in his back yard and take the family on a weekend trip around the World in Orbit?
Will model rocketry even exist? Given the population growth for the past 50 years, and if it continues, will we have room to launch?
Will Low Power be our only option? Or will they be obsolete?
For me, I could care less. I won't be around in 50 years, LOL.
I think I lived in one of the best times in history. Just for watching the Moon Landing alone was worth my time period.

All the things of the past have mostly gone. All of today's things are here temporary, Things of the future seam unreachable.

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us"

-Emperor of the Centauri Republic-
Babylon 5
S2 E9 The Coming of Shadows

I like looking back at simpler times and wish they were still that way, to some degree.
Here's something, a little something to work your brains on.
Try and imagine what model rocketry will be like in 50 years?
Will it be common for the average Joe to go in his back yard and take the family on a weekend trip around the World in Orbit?
Will model rocketry even exist? Given the population growth for the past 50 years, and if it continues, will we have room to launch?
Will Low Power be our only option? Or will they be obsolete?
For me, I could care less. I won't be around in 50 years, LOL.
I think I lived in one of the best times in history. Just for watching the Moon Landing alone was worth my time period.

Maybe we will be experimenting with small versions of the gravity drive systems they will be using on regular spacecraft? Probably won't be able to store enough negative mass so our altitudes won't be a high as the commercial rockets.

Also, don't knock hobbyists for R&D. Amateur radio is a great example of this, where amateurs have developed hardware or algorithms that have really improved the art of communications and contribute greatly to knowledge of the subjects.

Back