That was Fun. 5 Stage Sim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfytr310

Reaction score
Who wants to help me fund this thing? :lol::lol::lol:

Started as a two stager (hence the file name) but you see where it went. Ahhh the lessons in impracticality.

5%20stage.png

5stageplot.png

Before anyone takes this too seriously and tries to point out the myriad missing components and failed theory with this model, this was just for fun.

View attachment 2 Stage No Name.ork

This could be an interesting community project if everyone built a stage and then met at whatever launch site decided upon to do the final assembly.

We would need to enlist some well seasoned staging pros to get the timing right. That would be very cool though and I would volunteer for any portion :)

My buddy Fred T flew a HP 5 stage...
I'm pretty sure that's the one that went up perfectly....
Check the vids at this past MWP...

Teddy

Before anyone takes this too seriously and tries to point out the myriad missing components and failed theory with this model, this was just for fun.

This doesn't have to be a fantasy...
If you work at it long enough,,
if staging is your thing,,
you'll get there...
It'll work,, it'll just take quite a bit of time and effort to get there,,
but it'll work,, you can do it...

Teddy

I'm not sure what is in booster 1 and booster 2. The OR file that the OP posted only shows three stages, all with N4800's, which sims to nearly 174k'.

I'm not sure what is in booster 1 and booster 2. The OR file that the OP posted only shows three stages, all with N4800's, which sims to nearly 174k'.

Weird. I'll look at it and repost.

By the time you get to the 4th and 5th stages you probably don't need much in the way of fins anymore. It would be interesting to see the velocity-only graph... what is this at, about Mach 6 or 7 at Stage 5 burnout? You'll need ceramic or titanium for the nose cone...

Almost certain just by looking at it that you could fly it without needing anything more than a lvl3.(Somewhere in the Q+ range) I know, I just had to...

My native file is correct but when I download from here, no good. Let's try it again.

***Edit*** Looks good when I download from here now. Can someone confirm?

That file works fine. Sims to nearly mach 5, 517k', and $10k in rocket motors. Ridiculous.

That file works fine. Sims to nearly mach 5, 517k', and $10k in rocket motors. Ridiculous.

Think of the view! Lol. I suspect truly modeling with all required hardware, recovery and otherwise, would take some of the point off of that pencil, if you will.

I wonder how far down range it would go after going into cruise missile mode.

Using my TI-92Plus, I calculated it would travel pretty freaking far. + or - a few miles of course.

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of you have seen 4-5-6 stage BP rockets fly. There's usually someone at an open major meet that puts some up. Neat thing is how they pull them off. I've seen a half dozen or so fly and they worked fine. Kurt

I believe there was a 4 stage I saw fly at LDRS 34? Teddy can confirm or deny

I believe there was a 4 stage I saw fly at LDRS 34? Teddy can confirm or deny

Yes Nick,, that was Fred T..
But I think there was an anomaly in the flight at LDRS..
He put up a 4 or 5 stage flight at MWP and it went off with out a hitch...
He's a good man for sure..
If your interested in staging he's the one to ask....

Teddy

Hey, I'm in if we want to get this thing going. Design needs a ton of refinement before we purchase the fist piece of material and we will need solid commitment out of a number of people. Especially a staging pro. I don't personally know Fred (and wouldn't mind reaching out to him) so if one of you do, maybe you could engage him?

I would think a scale test model would be in order too.

Could make a sweet Balls 2018 project.

Very fun to think about indeed. Anyone ever try to figure out the minimum build required to hit the VK line at 100km up? This build obliterates it by 50%.

If this does become a reality, I think structural needs will quickly sap away from that altitude. :fly:If it were to fly at BALLS, is metal airframe allowed?

If this does become a reality, I think structural needs will quickly sap away from that altitude. :fly:If it were to fly at BALLS, is metal airframe allowed?

You are absolutely correct there! lol

From what I understand, BALLS would allow for an AL airframe but I always stand ready to be corrected.

Yes, aluminum air-frames are allowed at BALLS. You will also need to think about GSE for this beast.

We'd almost need a team dedicated to just GSE....

***Edit: Does this mean you want in? :p

Last edited:
Are there hydraulic jacks with 6' strokes?

Raised tower, place sustainer, jack up 6', lock, place booster, unlock and lower sustainer, return jacks to bottom, repeat x3?

Just to provide a GSE scheme about as fleshed out as the rocket, lol.

Back