That one hobby you always wanted..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peartree, regarding the Farmall Cub.
I’m a JD guy, but those little Cubs aren’t bad. 60 cubic inches from 4 cylinders. 9 or maybe 11 horsepower... But when they are running good, they sound like a little sewing machine. 🙂

Helped Dad rebuild a cub when I was a kid, he's still got it close to 40 years later, still uses it all the time. He's got two of them now, not sure if he's still got the 9N's as well, he sold a few of his old tractors at an auction a couple years back.

-Hans

More time and more money would see me restore a mid-70s Triumph Bonneville and build a hot rod.

Oh, and lots more rockets.
My neighbor had a mid 70's Bonneville that had been completely disassembled, rebuilt, and restored. It looked and ran like new. The amazing thing is that the guy who did the work only has one arm!

My neighbor had a mid 70's Bonneville that had been completely disassembled, rebuilt, and restored. It looked and ran like new. The amazing thing is that the guy who did the work only has one arm!

Nicely rebuilt Bonnies usually run better than new. Quality control at the Meriden factory in the 70s was... variable.

Would be nice to get back into skiing. Family came along and priorities changed. I am a qualified instructor.

I have always liked the idea of ultralights.

Restoring a car from the ground up would be a good project too.

I already drum, drag race, RC aircraft, model trains, sports cars, vacations in the tropics, may do volunteer work in aircraft restoration at Boeing, and sleep.

I'd love to do the long-trail triple-crown.
Appalachian, Continental Divide, Pacific Trail.

I'd love to do just one of them.

Completely impossible for a married guy with a kid.
Impossible for a 66 year-old retiree with a wife and grandkids (and bad ankles...and back...and shoulders...and thumbs...and plantar fasciitis...getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative).

Of course, then there is playing the guitar (with arthritic thumbs?).

R/C planes was my first love as a kid, but couldn't afford them, so rocketry became the main hobby. Still would like to, just need to finish all of my rocketry goals - maybe by the time I hit 75.

Then there is the next telescope. I need a bigger one, and a trailer to haul it to star parties with my camping gear, and a vehicle to haul the trailer. I have visions of a trailer rigged for rocketry and astronomy. It would need to be a big one. Then where do I store it?

So much to do, so little time.

P.S. If you can't tell from the above, there is no such thing as only one more hobby.

Last edited:
I'd love to do the long-trail triple-crown.
Appalachian, Continental Divide, Pacific Trail.

I'd love to do just one of them.

Completely impossible for a married guy with a kid.
If you haven't watched it, watch the documentary "Mile, Mile and A Half". John Muir trail. Awesome.

I would love to race cars. Either road racing like SCCA or Rallying like they do in Europe. The other thing would be RC airplanes. The trouble there is I don't know how to get started. And it would cut into my rocket budget.
I do race cars with SCCA so I can point you in a direction to get started if you are interested. However I can without a doubt confirm it would cut into, possibly eliminate, your rocket budget.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to race cars, restore cars, build and fly rockets, scuba dive, deep sea fish, snow ski and various other enjoyable things.

One thing I have never done that is definitely on my must do list is learn to fly. I don't care if I actually own a plane, probably better not to, but just have a pilots license where it would allow me to rent a Cessna and take a flight.

With one kid going off to college next fall and the other starting high school, I think rockets (in limited numbers) will be the only thing I will be doing for a while.

I've raced cars, restored cars, imported cars, driven everything under the sun. Love rocketry as a hobby, I always was fascinated by the idea of Falconry. I'm completely, no BS serious.

Kite surfing - just dont have the time.

Flying - I am too chicken.

Nicely rebuilt Bonnies usually run better than new. Quality control at the Meriden factory in the 70s was... variable.

I had an uncle who ran a motorcycle shop in the LA CA. region back in the late '60's early '70's that made a good living installing 12V two wire Japanese electrical systems into Triumph's ,Norton's and BSA's.

The shop even had adapters made so a Honda 12V starter could be installed.
"Lucas; Prince of Darkness".

That looks very much like a layout I've visited with the family, but I can see now it's not - holy cow my good fellow, I hope that's a club you're in - WOW!
All that you see there fits into a 12x12 bedroom.
It is the result of 30+ years of building, 15+ in its current location.

I do have a yard big enough ...

Then why not start by building a shed? (or buying one pre-built) It could be entirely dedicated to, and specifically designed for, a train project.

Automobile racing, unfortunately I'm probably a little too old, and definitely way too poor to take it up. I've always thought Formula Vee would be cool... limited power, more emphasis on driving finesse than aggressive driving.

Kite surfing - just dont have the time.

Flying - I am too chicken.
Can't afford the flying any longer, Kite surfing I just have not gotten around to. I fly traction kites at the beach so it is a natural jump for me, just getting up the gorge to do so.....so many things take my time.
I've been racking my brain, all kinds of little hobbies I've done, This one takes most my spare time now.
If I had unlimited resources ie $$$ then I would buy a whole series of quartz lenses and set out into the wild and do UV photography for all kinds wild flowers.

Last edited:
Automobile racing, unfortunately I'm probably a little too old, and definitely way too poor to take it up. I've always thought Formula Vee would be cool... limited power, more emphasis on driving finesse than aggressive driving.
Formula Vee is good, but I am partial to Spec Racer. Also a controlled class (engine/trans is sealed, everyone uses the same brand/size of tires, brakes, etc.) and big fields so there is competition no matter what your skill level is.

I've always wanted to play drums, and did a little bit in college. But since then I haven't had the resources or space, and have even been talked out of it a few times.

But this past Christmas I asked for sticks, a practice pad and a rudiment book. So at the age of 46, I've taken up an instrument. Am I crazy?

My current plan is to spend about six months with the practice pad before I invest in a full kit. I've been having a ton of fun with just the pad, learning proper stick control and the 40 rudiments. I spend a lot of time in hotel rooms, and it's portable and quiet enough that I can get tons of practice in while I'm out on the road.

I think I really enjoy seeing improvement through practice and repetition. And bouncing the sticks off that pad has become quite addictive.

But this past Christmas I asked for sticks, a practice pad and a rudiment book. So at the age of 46, I've taken up an instrument. Am I crazy?

Not at all, and playing drums is very good for your brain.

We bought the kids a Roland electronic drum kit (used) a few years ago. Nice and quiet when they practice with earphones or hook up a guitar amp for some volume... Nice sound.

Yes, please point. Las Vegas area.
@teepot
The Las Vegas region of SCCA focuses mainly on autocrossing: https://www.lvrscca.org/
The SCCA website has tons of information on getting started: https://www.scca.com/
My local club, Cal Club, has great resources for newcomers: https://calclub.com/ I realize that Cal Club is not close to Las Vegas, but we have folks come to our events from Las Vegas who want to road race rather than autocross.
There are many ways to get involved:
Autocross
Rallycross
Track Days (with Cal Club instructors are available - no cost to the participants)
Time Trials
Hillclimb
Road Rally

Not all activities require a race car. Many can be done with a street car. I have instructed at Track Days with students driving everything from BMW M3s, Porsche Caymans, Mustangs to Datsun 510s and a stock VW Golf. We have one regular participant who brings out a Volvo wagon. It's white with black blotches and he calls it the cow. :)

There is also Spring Mountain in Pahrump. They have an SCCA licensing class: https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/driving-schools/scca-racing-school

I have been fortunate enough to be able to race cars, restore cars, build and fly rockets, scuba dive, deep sea fish, snow ski and various other enjoyable things.

One thing I have never done that is definitely on my must do list is learn to fly. I don't care if I actually own a plane, probably better not to, but just have a pilots license where it would allow me to rent a Cessna and take a flight.

With one kid going off to college next fall and the other starting high school, I think rockets (in limited numbers) will be the only thing I will be doing for a while.
When I was 15 I joined an Explorer Scout troop: 'The Flying Squirrels' Their logo, which was painted on a large sign on the outside of the clubhouse, was a pregnant buzzard! They owned a Cessna 150. I got my pilot's license at age 15. Yep! I could legally fly a plane before I could drive a car! Cost to rent the plane was $5/hour 'wet' (with fuel) or $8/hour with an instructor. They were a chartered scout troop so that they could get charitable donations and perform work projects at businesses that could write off the expense.
We later got rid of the 150 and acquired a Cherokee 140. Both were fun to fly. Took a field trip once to an Air Traffic Control Center. While there, we listened to a controller talking to a pilot in the area who was lost. He actually flew over the airport and didn't realize it! They talked him down and when we were leaving we walked past him and he was white as a ghost!

Last edited:
Back