That 2020 DUNE film

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read all the books when I was a youngster in high school and the family and I just watched the new Dune last night. I thought it towed the line very closely to the book. That’s going back 35 years, but they provided the right amount of education in the movie for people who haven’t read the book. The thing I hated about the 1984 version was all the breathy explanations sometimes as Paul’s thoughts and sometimes as straight narration. If you have to resort to narration in a movie, your credibly as a story teller is pretty much shot. I’m excited to see where the story goes.

I watched it last night streaming on HBO. I never read the books or watched the 80's movie, but I was able to follow and enjoyed it.

I've found watching sci-fi movies with the captions on allows me to follow better since there are words and names that aren't typical. Now that I know who's who and the story, I'm going to watch it again for more depth.

This movie would definitely be great on the big screen with the wide scenery shots and enormous spaceships.

Watched it yesterday.

Best of the three renditions I've seen, so far. Anxiously awaiting the sequel!

(I also want to see some of Herbert's other works, such as Whipping Star and Dosadi Experiment, to be filmed.)

...and maybe, Protector, Ringworld and some of the other Larry Niven Known Space series, as well!

I might have to wait for the holidays to see it. With both work and part-time courses on the go, very few things can keep me from sitting right where I am. 😐
:computer:

Just watched it. Overall very good but I wonder how people that haven't read the book will follow along. There is a lot of back story that isn't given

How far (in the book) does this movie go? The original book was made up of three books: Dune, Mau'Dib, The Prophet.

In 1984 I was stationed at McClellan AFB CA, Sacramento. The mall i happened to be walking around it, somebody grabbed me and asked if I would like to preview a new movie. Sure! Cool, lets go. There were about 25 of us in the theater. They only showed us about 30 minutes. And it was like in the middle of the movie. (With the guy from Sex and the City I dont know his name and the only reason I said s n c is my wife watched it and said its the same guy). So we all go free movie tickets to that theater if we answered some questions. Every single one of said that made absolutely no sense what so ever. Oh, and Patrick Stewart was in the scene too. Of course back then I had no idea who he was.

Its a multi-part set of movies. This is part 1 and goes until they meet up with the fremmen at the rocky outcropping. (Trying not to give a spoiler)

I re-read the book before seeing the movie which I saw the movie tonight. Then came home and checked the book. This covers about 63% of the first book.

I watched Dune yesterday with my family at the theatre. I liked it and think it's the best book to movie adaptation I've seen. The story was streamlined in acceptable ways and the art and visuals are AMAZING! Worth making a trip to the theatre unless you have an incredibly nice home theatre.

I worked in a movie theatre back in 1984 when the Lynch Dune was released. I had read the book so I knew what was going on but it's one tough movie to figure out if you hadn't!

All I can say is "Thank you, Denis Villeneuve !" The sights and sounds were amazing. And what he did with 2 hours 40 was a minor miracle. Now gimme the 5 hour director's cut ! :)

Last edited:
I just re-watched the 1st episode of the 2000 miniseries.

It does not hold up as well as I remembered. Flat acting, except for Ian Mcneice.
Paul is too whiny. The guildsman looks ridiculous.

It does follow the book, and I like the ornithopters.

I hope to see the movie soon.

Saw the movie yesterday with my wife, who hasn't read the book. I agree with positive comments, and we've had a few conversations along the lines of "Was [scene] in the book?" I kind of liked the team changing Liet to a woman--it has literally no impact on the plot and provides some diversity. The ornithopters weren't how I envisioned them, but they were very good. My wife thought of them as hummingbirds; I thought of them as dragonflies.

One piece of worldbuilding that I found jarring in the movie but not in the book is that there's a spacefaring civilization with directed energy weapons where everyone fights with swords. I think that there's mention in the book that the shields backfire on directed energy weapons, destroying the operator, but maybe also the person in the shield. Is that an accurate remembering? Still, it seems like there would be more use of weapons like the hunter/seeker or the tranquilizer darts. I can accept it and move on; it just stood out to me on film in a way it didn't in text.

Yes, attacking shields with directed energy weapons was a suicide proposition for the attacker. I imagine he needed a way to get the individual warrior culture back into the story. Another way to negate shield tech on Arrakis was to make them catnip for sand worms.

Last edited:
I saw it on HBO the other night. There were a few scenes that I was disappointed to see left out. That was minor. However, I am waiting to see if it wins the Oscar for worst f**ing sound design ever. Gawd that was painful.

I saw it on HBO the other night. There were a few scenes that I was disappointed to see left out. That was minor. However, I am waiting to see if it wins the Oscar for worst f**ing sound design ever. Gawd that was painful.

That's the first I've ever seen where I can't decide whether to 👍, :(, or 🤣.

I saw it in the theatre, the sound mix was fantastic. As I was watching it I was thinking about how much better I like Villeneuve's choice of sound mixing vs Nolan's (e.g., Tenet).

cheers

I saw it on HBO the other night…

Yeah I understand it’s different experience at home than at the movie theater. Don’t think you can blame the filmmakers for that. What kind of home setup do you have ?

Yeah I understand it’s different experience at home than at the movie theater. Don’t think you can blame the filmmakers for that. What kind of home setup do you have ?
Brand new Denon AVR-X1600H set up in a 7.1 configuration. Speakers are a mix of Paradigm & Klipsch. Tuned as well as possible to the room.
What got me was an almost unreal dynamic range. The volume levels shifted way too much for my taste.

I saw the original movie with my buddy in the 80s and since I never read the books, I tried to prepare myself by reading articles giving background on it beforehand...didn't help since it was still a confusing mess to me.

The same buddy wanted to hang out last week and asked about movies...I said "how about Dune since we both saw it together the first time" and so history repeats. lol

I loved it! Everything hit the mark as "fantastic": Cast, acting, scenery, music, sound, action, flow...it was like dopamine for my senses! Also the way they filmed the actors (some of whom are quite beautiful imo) was at times mesmerizing.

When I was growing up, my family didn't watch movies so I missed the first Star Wars. I heard it was fantastic, so I went to see Empire Strikes back with my buddy in the theaters expecting similar. While it was fantastic, I was SO frustrated to hear at the end (with all the cliffhangers) that I'd have to wait ~3 years to find out what happened. I was NOT happy....actually I was quite pissed lol.

This movie, while it is only Part 1 of 2 (and I didn't know this going in), I actually didn't mind since I felt it was so good that I'll watch it several times and maybe get the video to watch some more. Also I'd like them to have as much time as they need to make Part 2 equally awesome.

TLDR - GO SEE THIS!!! ;) 👍

Brand new Denon AVR-X1600H set up in a 7.1 configuration. Speakers are a mix of Paradigm & Klipsch. Tuned as well as possible to the room.
What got me was an almost unreal dynamic range. The volume levels shifted way too much for my taste.
Yeah they pushed the boundaries of "immersive experience" on this one. I gotta think the size difference between a movie theater and your home room had something to do with it.

Yes, attacking shields with directed energy weapons was a suicide proposition for the attacker. I imagine he needed a way to get the individual warrior culture back into the story. Another way to negate shield tech on Arrakis was to make them catnip for sand worms.

[mild spoiler]
That's pretty much what I remember. Given that, I feel like they missed the boat on the (a) not telling the audience that and (b) not making it relevant to the story. A good point to have done that was when the troops were using a laser to cut through the door to get to Paul & co. If he had turned on a shield and put it into the laser beam, blowing up the attacker, it would have done both of those neatly. I don't recall if Paul actually had a shield at that point, but there's no plot reason he couldn't have had one/picked one up/been given one in the assorted battles.

I had to stop the movie when I saw the energy beam weapons. I remarked that "wasn't the whole point of the jihad was that they'd done away with computers and these types of tech??" And then they also ommited any mention of the anti-tech part of the story when they didn't talk about IX. Why have the ornithopters, which were the solution to manned flight without advanced tech, if you're going to not say anything about not having advanced tech?

And a 65" 4K display with 7.1 surround didn't do it justice. It is one you really need to see on a theater screen.

[mild spoiler]
That's pretty much what I remember. Given that, I feel like they missed the boat on the (a) not telling the audience that and (b) not making it relevant to the story. A good point to have done that was when the troops were using a laser to cut through the door to get to Paul & co. If he had turned on a shield and put it into the laser beam, blowing up the attacker, it would have done both of those neatly. I don't recall if Paul actually had a shield at that point, but there's no plot reason he couldn't have had one/picked one up/been given one in the assorted battles.

According to the Dune Wiki the Lasgun and shield interaction was the equivalent of a nuclear explosion that killed everyone in a large radius. How's that for nerdy! :)

Dune Wiki: Lasgun

Back