That 2020 DUNE film

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I watched the 80’s version again a couple months ago when we were getting excited about the new version. Neither one of us had seen it years, decades probably. Wow. Way cheesier than I remembered. The Cheese must flow!
Watch the mini-series on YouTube. It aged much better than the 80s movie.

The Dune book is very hard to adapt to a movie, because so much of the story is people’s interior thoughts and their secret strategies that they hide from everyone else and never say out loud. A lot of the dialog is contrary to what the characters are actually thinking. So there are a lot of conversations where you have one character say something in dialog, then there’s narrative of the other character’s inner reaction and thoughts, and then there’s the dialog of what the second character actually says. There’s lots of lying, deception, and misdirection, and you read about it in real time.

The older movie tried a technique where the audience could hear a voiceover of some characters’ inner thoughts, but it doesn’t work very well in a movie. Part of what made that movie not so good.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the inner thoughts problem in the new movie. I’m hoping for Shakespearean soliloquies!

Kind of like in Deadwood? Lol

Read the Doon parody paperback some years ago. Something about beer and pretzels. No movie version though.
By the Harvard Lampoon. MauveBib (named Assol), the Kumquat HaagenDasz, uses Boni Moroni skills to ride the giant preztels and defeat the emperor, Shaddap IV

So we now have a THIRD version of "Dune" and yet somehow "Ringworld" and "Rendezvous With Rama" have never made it to the screen.

And "Puppet Masters" and "Starship Troopers" made it but not "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". Next time I come up with a spare hunnert mil, I'm going to open an indie studio and make it. Who wants to be an extra?

So we now have a THIRD version of "Dune" and yet somehow "Ringworld" and "Rendezvous With Rama" have never made it to the screen.
Louis Wu, Chmee/Speaker to Animals and the rest. Then entire Larry Niven Known Space milieu has tons of material. Start with Ringworld, then follow up with some of the others as prequels: Man-Kzin Wars, Protector, etc.

I'd volunteer to play an extra on that series!

Louis Wu, Chmee/Speaker to Animals and the rest. Then entire Larry Niven Known Space milieu has tons of material. Start with Ringworld, then follow up with some of the others as prequels: Man-Kzin Wars, Protector, etc.
Protector!!!!! Loved that book. Much more interesting after reading the Ringworld series, as I recall.

Has any Niven ever been adapted to screen? If not that seems criminal.

Has any Niven ever been adapted to screen? If not that seems criminal.

*Sort of*. He wrote a short story, "The Soft Weapon" in 1968, which was included in the anthology "Neutron Star". Niven adapted the story and retitled it "The Slaver Weapon" for a 1973 episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series.

His "The Inconstant Moon" was done as an episode of The Outerlimits in the '80s. It's ok but does not capture the story all that well.

Morgan Freeman has been attempting to get "Rendezvous With Rama" to the big screen for 30+ years with no success. He was given the blessings for that project direct from A.C. Clarke himself . . . and yet.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has taken up the sword in an attempt to get "Ringworld" made.

And then there's John Varley's Gaea trilogy: "Titan", "Wizard" and "Demon". What with the success of the J.R. Tolkien books onto the silver screen, they should have been a natural.

And "Puppet Masters" and "Starship Troopers" made it but not "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". Next time I come up with a spare hunnert mil, I'm going to open an indie studio and make it. Who wants to be an extra?
"Puppet Masters" was a horrible adaptation of Heinlein's novel and "Starship Troopers" was made as a parody of everything Heinlein actually believed in.
Can you imagine how badly Hollyweird would 🤬-up "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?

"Puppet Masters" was a horrible adaptation of Heinlein's novel and "Starship Troopers" was made as a parody of everything Heinlein actually believed in.
Can you imagine how badly Hollyweird would 🤬-up "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?
They saw Heinlein's view of citizenship and government as "fascist" and parodied as such. /sigh

Morgan Freeman has been attempting to get "Rendezvous With Rama" to the big screen for 30+ years with no success. He was given the blessings for that project direct from A.C. Clarke himself . . . and yet.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has taken up the sword in an attempt to get "Ringworld" made.

I don't really understand the issue with "Rendezvous with Rama" It should have been done long ago.

Ringworld has been optioned a few times. The last time, I think, was Sci Fi. It always falls through. The problem with Ringworld, in my opinion, is its way to vast for a 2 hour movie but does not really lend itself to a mini series. No natural breaks for the episodes. Still I would love to see it!

The Mote in Gods eye would make a VERY nice mini series.

I've seen the trailer for Foundation, I got AppleTV to watch it, but it looks like they are trying to DUNE it.
Make religion a central theme. I'll still give it a go.

So, has the newest Dune version come out yet? I’d like to see an adaptation of Gateway. The sets would be cheap to reproduce, lol. As for the entire Heechee saga, I’m not so sure.

After what woke Hollywood and BBC have done to Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. WHO, Ghostbusters, Terminator, MIB, Alien, He Man, She Ra, Thundercats, DCU and the new M-she-U, any fan should pray they stay far far away from your favorite Intellectual Property!

I sincerely hope the new Ghostbusters and Dune will not be terrible, poorly written garbage like all the above.

*Sort of*. He wrote a short story, "The Soft Weapon" in 1968, which was included in the anthology "Neutron Star". Niven adapted the story and retitled it "The Slaver Weapon" for a 1973 episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series.

"We're all going to die!".

Well Chibnell is "Stepping down" as the showrunner for "Dr. Who" after completing the upcoming season so there's hope yet . . . at least for "Dr. Who".
Hope that the BBC won't hire another as bad or worse than Chibbs? Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, your my only hope!

With the race and gender swap of Liet Kynes, Denis Villeneuve is not going to have the same Kynes death sequence or lineage for Chani. A small price to pay for diversity mandates. Let's pray they do not alter the deal further.

[
Hope that the BBC won't hire another as bad or worse than Chibbs?

I think the worst aspect of Chibnell's reign as showrunner is that he absolutely destroyed any chance for Jodie Whittaker to make her mark on the series.
Through no fault of her own she will be seen as one of the worst Doctors in the series history, some are comparing her to Sylvester McCoy, and might make it imposable to ever have another female Dr.

Last edited:
Back