Thanksgiving Flying

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NjCo

Reaction score
The 27th turned out to be an amazing day here in Colorado. The temp was 62 degrees, little to no wind and not a cloud in the sky. So I figured I'd try to squeeze in some flying. My parents were in town visiting for the holiday and and someone suggested going for a walk to burn off a few extra turkey induced calories. It just so happens that the place my wife likes to walk is were the kids and I fly rockets. What a coincidence! ;)

To make a long story short here is what I got in the air:

Daughter the eldest flew her Cosmic Cobra on a B6-4. Great flight and recovery. Daughter the youngest flew her Sky Writer on an A8-3 for another great flight and recovery. The others were my old Sky Shriek goonie, a baby Bertha on a B6-4, an old EAC Viper on an A3-4T and a new Viper clone on an A8-3. Everything went off without a hitch except for my camera. :rolleyes: I must have hit a setting function or something and the only decent pic I got was a distance shot of the Sky Shriek sitting on the pad.

I added some Viper pics to make up for the lack of launch pics. The blue and white version is the one I built many years ago. It's one of my best fliers despite the poor finish and crooked fins. The other is a clone I built this fall. This was it's maiden flight.

I bailed on the maiden flight for my Big Daddy. The sun was dropping fast and everyone was freezing. The wind had also picked up and the last two flights had been about 100 yrd walks to recover them with a couple near misses in the trees despite trying to compensate with launch angle. My luck for the day seemed to be slipping so I packed it in. There will be other nice weekends.

IMG_0541_2.jpg

IMG_0534_2.jpg

IMG_0536_2.jpg

IMG_0537_2.jpg

Bring your Big Daddy out to the CRASH Launch at Bear Creek State park this Sunday at noon. When I launched my first Big Daddy in the park on an E9-4 it ended up landing on the street one block into the adjoining residential neighborhood. Plenty of space at Bear Creek and hopefully we will have good weather.

Sounds like everyone had fun. I'm envious of that field!!!!

It's quite a bit smaller than it looks in the picture unfortunately. About 70 yards straight ahead is a drop off that goes down to a swampy area. The other side of that is a big fence. The other side of that fence is some pretty thick brush and a creek. Not nearly as inviting as it looks in the picture. But all and all it's a nice low power launch spot. It's about 800 ft square with only some small trees and one shed as hazards. The borders are a school on one side (which you can just see in the picture) some some high tension power lines along the opposite side (behind us in the picture).

Bring your Big Daddy out to the CRASH Launch at Bear Creek State park this Sunday at noon. When I launched my first Big Daddy in the park on an E9-4 it ended up landing on the street one block into the adjoining residential neighborhood. Plenty of space at Bear Creek and hopefully we will have good weather.

One of these days I'll get over there. It's kind of a haul, maybe about an hour. On this field I stick with D motors or lower. Once I get some bigger rockets I'll have to make the drive over there and hook up with you guys. But for now this works just fine for what I need to launch. Although, I do have a pack of E9-4s waiting in the range box! ;)

Back