Thanksgiving '22

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working a 10 hour shift on Thursday so to keep it low effort we've ordered a heat and serve Thanksgiving meal from Crackerbarrel, hopefully it will be good. I'll still have to whip up some spicy deviled eggs though.

I'm working a 10 hour shift on Thursday so to keep it low effort we've ordered a heat and serve Thanksgiving meal from Crackerbarrel, hopefully it will be good. I'll still have to whip up some spicy deviled eggs though.
One year we ordered the complete meal for 10 or so from Bob Evans restaurant. No labor intensive, time consuming gathering of all those different items, just picked it up, heated some things, done.

Mrs is attempting a de-boned and re-stuffed turkey of some kind this year. No pumpkin pie, and the only people will be the people living in our house right now.
Mrs, 8 yo son, BIL and me.
(FIL will arrive on Dec 22nd from Israel with SIL and her husband. They will return to Israel, FIL will remain with us until time to return to Ukraine.)

I am sad about Thanksgiving, because we used to go to Izzy's buffet for turkey dinner. They went out of business during Covid shutdown. So did the Hometown Buffet.
Not sure what I'm going to do now.

We did two last week, one in an electric roaster(25 lb), the other in a roasting pan in the oven(15 lb). Both upside down and basted periodically. Cooled, deboned, and delivered to our church where we will prepare 900 ish meals, and deliver them, on Thanksgiving morning. In the afternoon, we'll go to my Brother and Sister-in-law's house for our family get-together and eat *their* turkey.

What are you guys doing to your Turkey this year?
I've never made one and this year will be my first attempt haha

View attachment 547237
Cook the turkey on a small rack that sits inside your pan. You can use one of the aluminum foil pans that you can find at a grocery store. Cook the turkey breast down on the rack to keep the turkey from drying out. Get a meat thermometer and use that. Don’t rely on the pop-up thermometer that comes with the bird. Tent the bird with aluminum foil for the first hour then remove the tent. Do not put stuffing in the bird, you can get salmonella from eating the stuffing. Remove the giblets and the neck from the cavity, wash the cavity thoroughly and place onions and seasoning inside the cavity to give the bird some flavor. Your target temperature in the breast is 180 degrees.

Mrs is attempting a de-boned and re-stuffed turkey of some kind this year. No pumpkin pie, and the only people will be the people living in our house right now.
Mrs, 8 yo son, BIL and me.
(FIL will arrive on Dec 22nd from Israel with SIL and her husband. They will return to Israel, FIL will remain with us until time to return to Ukraine.)

Do you mean a turducken?
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-ultimate-turducken-recipe

We do something like tapas, smorgasbord, charcuterie. Just turn the kids loose at Trader Joe's and see what we end up with.

We worked very hard to turn our Turkey into a Pork Tenderloin for this year. Different, but no disrespect intended to the Traditional meal here in America. I'm a transplanted Canadian, so happy to live in the USA.

Turkey is still in the brine. Rinse the h*ll out of it, otherwise the gravy will be too salty. Roast on a rack, upside down for 45-60 min so the back fat gets into the breast, turn it over (not fun but I've gotten good at it), roast till done. I stop when the breast is 170 F, half an hour or so of carry-over brings it up.

About 20 years ago our neighbors came over for Thanksgiving. Every year thereafter they held a Tday potluck for OldGuys™ from their church (until they went to assisted living). Barbara always asked "Would you please make the turkey? Please?" Always happy to oblige, and everyone wanted to know how it was done.

I like smoked turkey but the three ladies in the house are mashed-potatoes-and-gravy freaks. Younger daughter believes that her dad's gravy can/should be classified as a beverage. :)

No turkey here, it's just me and the two feline fellows and my health is a mess, so the meat will be baked boneless chicken thighs. Other foods are: Stove Top stuffing (bought the double box as I fully intend to pig out on stuffing) , microwaved mixed veggies, sweet potato pie and cool whip.
The feline fellows are getting canned tuna for their Thanksgiving meal.

Of related interest:

Buried in all the sale emails this morning was ...

Celebrating the United States of Stuffing​

Eric Kim explores the past, present, and future of Thanksgiving’s mightiest side dish.​

by Diana Hubbell November 21, 2022

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/thanksgiving-stuffing-eric-kim

As the designated Thanksgiving cook in my household, however, I’d argue that stuffing’s somewhat nebulous identity means it’s one of the rare opportunities for creativity on this holiday. Many canonical Thanksgiving foods follow a strict formula, but stuffing can be whatever speaks to your heart and feels right.
When you go out and do field reporting, what types of regions or varieties are you looking at?
I’m really trying to find significance in different regions. So what I mean by that is, an oyster stuffing might seem really specific to one region, but it’s also really important to that region. So I have to try it. And because I tried it, I learned that oysters and cream make the stuffing taste like clam chowder. And that’s freaking delicious.
I was shocked how good that one was.
It just goes to show that you really need to have an open mind. There’s a reason why something is popular in a region. There’s a reason so many people love cornbread dressing in the South. There’s a reason sourdough is used in California. In Hawai’i, we had a mochi rice stuffing, which is really special. I think if enough people do something, that means it’s important to look at.

You guys are all just wonderful..

I wish I could have you over here, my house..

We're spread apart across the whole coultry..

Ha,
The turkeys falling out of the helicopter..
WKRP..
I used to love that show..

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everybody !!!
Eat a lil too much..
Drink a lil too much..
Laugh a lot too much..
And love a lot too much..

Teddy

I'm mainly washup and a bit of prep cook at our house. We have our traditional (vegetarian) Thanksgiving--stuffing flavored quiche, potato-cheese gratin, roast squash, rolls, and pumpkin pie. All from scratch because my wife is awesome.

For the D&D fans, my eldest was mixing up the pumpkin pie filling and said "I'm just gonna ignore the recipe and wisdom cast the spice blend here." It smells good in the oven.

For the Brussels sprouts fans and non-fans, I leave you with the Swedish Chef:

Back