Thank you for being helpful, and not trolls!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
That may sound like a sarcastic troll headline in and of itself, but I mean it sincerely- I posted an arduino programming issue over on the big arduino forum, trying to figure out why something worked one way in one sketch, but when I added a couple lines of code, it stopped working. At first it was a good experience- received some pointers on ways to optimize the code, and some questions about the hardware (I had anticipated this, so I had my schematics ready to go), but then the discussion focused ONLY on my hardware! I had this breadboarded out and it was working fine right in front of me the whole time, but everyone was so adamant that TIP120s were, "sooo 1970's tech, and you need mosfets", and that, "I needed a current limiting resistor on my buzzer" (which hadn't been implemented yet, and wasn't part of the issue!). Fine. I get that. But when I pushed for an answer on the code, and even posted videos showing both sketches running on the hardware that they said wasn't correct, the responses dried up immediately. It was clear to me that no one actually could help. I bumped the post once more after 10 days of silence, and then, after another period of silence, buckled down last weekend and FIXED IT MYSELF! :lol: Bold is because that felt really and truly amazing, since I've honestly been struggling with this bit of code for 2 months out of 6, since I started the project. I'm not a programmer nor an EE, so this felt like I was seeing in 6 dimensions for a brief period of time.
Now back to the title- when I have an issue with absolutely anything, and I post it here, I get honest feedback and insightful questions- that's the hallmark of a truly experienced and caring group! Bravissimo, and thank you all!!

There would be a few people on here that dabble with Arduino, I know a few people who are creating arduino flight computers and I am working on an arduino based gps locator which can point you in the direction your rocket landed.
If you have any questions I don't think anyone would mind if you asked on here. The rocketry community seems to be one of the friendliest groups I have ever been a part of.

Generally speaking, online forums should be used for ideas, brainstorming and entertainment purposes only. As you learned with your project, when the distracted, unfocused opinions and criticism stopped, the talking heads had no solutions for you. This is because forums -in general- are comprised mostly of a bunch of blowhard know-it alls whom have more opinion than actual subject matter knowledge. Forums are just another variant of social media, and we are all familiar with the heaps of dreck produced by it. When you need serious help, don't get mired down in $h!T with forums and instead stick to academic communities for solid, logical solutions.

Get lost, you TROLL!! No, wait -- I'M the TROLL!! No....

Ah, nice job on the fix. I knew you could do it all along. Even though I didn't know you had a problem.

If you ever want to get rid of that bread board, my wife makes some mean homemade bread, and she could probably use it.

I think that as long as you stick to rocketry-related posts the troll factor on TRF is very low. When you step outside of rocketry topics that is not always true. This is pretty much true of all forums I have been on.

I usually regret reading/posting in the more controversial subjects. Sometimes there is a person who you get along great with talking rockets, but then you find out that you are on opposite ends of the spectrum on some stupid topic. Snide comments are exchanged, and before you know it you don't really like the person much anymore...

I've done some Arduino stuff and got some GREAT HELP from the Arduino forum.

Realize not everyone who asks questions on TRF always has the best experiences either.

YMMV, and obviously it did vary.

Just Sayin'.....

I think that as long as you stick to rocketry-related posts the troll factor on TRF is very low. When you step outside of rocketry topics that is not always true.
+1 to all of that. When staying on topic, the signal/noise ratio around here is amazingly high. I can't say I'm exactly sure why (easy to come up with theories but hard to prove any of them), but it sure makes this a pleasant place to hang around.

I usually regret reading/posting in the more controversial subjects. Sometimes there is a person who you get along great with talking rockets, but then you find out that you are on opposite ends of the spectrum on some stupid topic. Snide comments are exchanged, and before you know it you don't really like the person much anymore...
It's not really different from discussing any 3rd-rail topic (politics/religion/abortion/gun control/etc.) at any social gathering. Engage at your own risk. The great thing on this forum is that it is not hard to avoid such discussions if you want to; they *usually* do not intrude on proper rocketry-related topics.

Back