• Have you entered ???
    LAUNCH LAB ROCKETRY GIVEAWAY

Thales Starstreak build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BrendanH69

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks mate! I'm sure I'm over-engineering it a bit, but good to know it might help you too, Drew. If it wasn't for your spark and kick-start with this idea, I wouldn't have been inspired to run with this! 👍

DrewW

Reaction score
Thanks mate! I'm sure I'm over-engineering it a bit, but good to know it might help you too, Drew. If it wasn't for your spark and kick-start with this idea, I wouldn't have been inspired to run with this! 👍
I'm thrilled to see it happening, after sadly looking through more than a decade of peoples intentions to start this project. I keep on wanting to make special items for this project with my 3D printer, and keep sadly looking on as I haven't quite gotten it tweaked in just yet.

shockie

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Alright, no glue here and somewhat the "exploded view" but I put together a first mockup with a clear BT50 section at the forward end to see how things should be placed internally for adequate spacing before I start cutting or permanently attaching. Then I decided if something was going to fail it would be in the forward section anyway, so my first version will actually look remarkably similar when assembled.

View attachment 439733

Two part nosecone may perhaps need some ballast when all done, perhaps not. 12" chute packaged with wadding. I used orange tape to make the two bearings more visible. These will nominally have significantly less tape at assembly and be rigidly mounted inside the red coupler seen just aft. A hollow aluminum rod runs through both creating an axel and also a blow through path. Then will have an appropriate length of BT50 to make up the scaled length. Also, I still need to figure out routing for a kevlar shock cord...maybe I'll anchor it to the axel loosely, notch the tape and route it through? Below you can see the aft section

View attachment 439734

BT50 tube, with the aluminum rod running axially. I have an 18mm motor mount with two centering rings, but I need to make sure the ejection charge vents where I want it to so I will use the punch out of the 18mm centering ring drilled for the rod to act as a cap and a centering ring itself.

Since this was the first look at how it would go together I haven't finalized lengths yet, but plan on cutting paper and aluminum tubing tomorrow. Then prepping, gluing, and final assembly. Fins will be cut from 1/8" balsa for this pass, but I need to work on shaping/canting for appropriate rotation rates. video of initial spin test below.

View attachment 439735

Not great spinning. Needs more mass further out (radially) to maintain the rotation better, however, I'll be able to check in front of a fan when I get some canards on. I think I'll start with a 10º cant and see how well it works in a flow field.
replace the moving parts with teflon .....super slick, no friction. material will allow for faster spin up and it will stay spinned due to its low friction coefficient. I would even use ptfe power to lube it before each flight

BrendanH69

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got some progress in on the Starstreak today after yesterday's diversion into making "Spoolin' Around" (see the WDYDRWT thread).

Spooling Around pic2.jpg

Drilled the transition through to the top of the AV Bay coupler (the Spider bay), and then I fitted 6 M4 threaded inserts to take the M4 attachment screws. Had to shim them about 3.5mm to keep all the useable threads and keep them just under the coupler surface. Just used some cutdown plastic Mac-shims and softened them with a heat gun to form them to shape.

Transition Integration Pic1.jpg Transition Integration Pic2.jpg

Removed it after it's trial fit and then bolted the Dart (Hittile) carrier to the transition, and then fitted the two back to the AV Bay coupler.

Transition Integration Pic3.jpg Transition Integration Pic5.jpg Transition Integration Pic4.jpg

Gonna have to start thinking more about the electronics, including where to place an arming switch. I'm toying with the idea of a rotary switch fitted to the transition, or a couple of internal switches with a single pull-pin & "Remove before Flight" flag.

Next jobs on the list:
  • Tip to tip F/Glass on the canards (been putting it off!).
  • Get my mate to 3D print some long launch rail guides and start the Dart stacking and alignment trials.
  • Fit charge wells.
  • Make a few vent holes and shear pin holes.
  • Spray with filler primer and start sanding.
  • Make up a long harness.
  • Consider making and fitting a protective metal skin to the conical base of the dart carrier - a blast deflector of sorts.

BrendanH69

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got tired of looking at the part filled spirals on the main Bus body tube, so I started filling and sealing with spray putty primer/sealer and sanding, and sanding and.....

Also did a bit of filling on the transition and I've now given it a couple of light coats of base matt black. Going to try out this Chrome-like spray paint from a local auto shop and see how it goes.

Started the first tip to tip F/Glass on the Dart canards using some fine weave 98g/sq.m cloth, so time will tell on how this goes. Humidity is just over 90% and temp is down to 20 degrees C so I'm expecting long slow cures.

Dart tip 2 tip pic1.jpg

BrendanH69

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Time to start thinking colour schemes as I start to seal and prime. A lot depends on how the chrome-like spray paint works out. Think I'll follow this photo as my guide:
  • Dart carrier (upper core)- Aluminium/silver
  • Darts - Chrome
  • Dart carrier lower conical section - Chrome
  • Transition - Chrome.
  • BUS (sustainer) body, plus the fwd/aft outer rings - White
  • Fins and fin can - Aluminium grey
  • Booster - as per photo below.

1619942551605.png

DrewW

Reaction score
Time to start thinking colour schemes as I start to seal and prime. A lot depends on how the chrome-like spray paint works out. Think I'll follow this photo as my guide:
  • Dart carrier (upper core)- Aluminium/silver
  • Darts - Chrome
  • Dart carrier lower conical section - Chrome
  • Transition - Chrome.
  • BUS (sustainer) body, plus the fwd/aft outer rings - White
  • Fins and fin can - Aluminium grey
  • Booster - as per photo below.

View attachment 462502
I was wondering what you were thinking since you are very obviously going to be at that stage before me.