TFND - Three fins and a nose dome...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another attempt to make something that looks like an early sixties design.

About 8" long, Estes BT-20 with a 13mm motor mount, Semroc nose cone (er... dome), streamer recovery.

IMG_20161106_160815.jpgIMG_20161106_160827.jpgIMG_20161106_160840.jpg

Should be fun...

Thanks BABAR, I'll Be sure to post some finished pics...

The fillets were done with white glue and are pretty minimal. I might add a couple of more layers just to make the joints a bit stronger.

Open Rocket says It'll need about .25 oz. nose weight, but even with that it says an Apogee 13mm C6-7 gets it to 1447 ft...

:shock:

This thing is only eight inches long, I think I'll stick to an Estes 1/2A3-4t (337') or A10-3t (572'). It would be nice to get it back at least once!

Last edited:
h>1/4 mile? Nice! I feel like I'm nerfing my altitudes by hanging my little estes altimeter in there. The quest for knowledge has its drawbacks sometimes I guess.

(totally missed the 13mm mount part)

Keep in mind with the sims - for 13mm nothing above an Estes A10 is currently available. Apogee hasn't made a 13mm C6 in a very long time.

Keep in mind with the sims - for 13mm nothing above an Estes A10 is currently available. Apogee hasn't made a 13mm C6 in a very long time.

Thanks Chris, I know the 13mm stuff is limited to the Estes motors these days. I got curious after Nytrunner asked, so I ran a sim with the Apogee C6 just for grins.

I built this one for the local monthly club launch where we have a 1000' ceiling, occasionally 1500', so the Estes motors will be perfect.

Still thinking about color scheme. First thought was typical old school; white with red nose cone and one fin, but I think it might need a bit more than that. I'm open to suggestions!

Last edited:
Back