3D Printing Texturing print surface for better epoxy grip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was fiddling with my nose cone twist lock design yesterday, and it occurred to me that there was no good reason for me to be providing a smooth flat surface for epoxying to the nose cone. Of course the print surface is never totally smooth, but still.

Is there a particular surface texture that I could add to the design that would be better for epoxy grip? It's not subject to particularly high forces, but if I can make it better why not.

I bought the additional textured plate when I ordered my Prusa i3 MK3s and it leaves a reasonably rough surface. I wonder of there's a way to build roughness into the print. I am a very new 3D printer owner so take this for what it's worth (zeero)

I will be farming out the prints, so my only option is to design in the texture. I was thinking a lattice of fine grooves, or something like that, but I don't know if there's an optimal groove shape or size. It doesn't need to print the texture precisely, just needs to leave it rough enough to enable good epoxy grip.

See the grooves I added to my top and bottom centering rings on my motor mount. This was my first stab at adding a texture to a printed surface to bonded. The intent of my grooving is for epoxy to get drawn into the grooves as I slide to mount into place or pour epoxy from above.

Im not too much farther along on this topic than you are. If you're bonding your printed part to non-plastic part, then you'll absolutely want greater surface area on your print. If you're bonding 2 printed/ plastic parts. I think you want to be aiming for greater surface area in general (and full contact with your adhesive) rather than just more area on your print. I guess you really should be matching your contact area ratio to the bond strength ratios of the 2 materials you're joining....

Good luck with your twist lock system, I have one of my own for coupling my e-bay to my payload section.

Attachments

• PXL_20201014_025340755.jpg
    PXL_20201014_025340755.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 28
You could always use something other than epoxy. There are adhesives that actually melt the plastic, for PETG I use Scigrip 16 Medium Body. With a 5 minute working time, 10 minute set time, and 24 hour 80% strength time, it's just about perfect.

I was fiddling with my nose cone twist lock design yesterday, and...

I like your idea of a twist lock nosecone. Might you be willing to share more details about it or maybe even an STL file?

Why? I use plastic bonding epoxies with Balsa to plastics.
My apologies, I saw "melts the plastic" and my brain immediately assumed something like Plastic Weld, being unfamiliar with the Scigrip stuff. Sounds like that would work.

However, I already am successfully gluing my existing pieces using regular old BSI epoxy, in low-stress applications. I'm not looking for new glues, I'm wondering whether it is possible to improve epoxy bond strength by texturing the print surface.

My apologies, I saw "melts the plastic" and my brain immediately assumed something like Plastic Weld, being unfamiliar with the Scigrip stuff. Sounds like that would work.

However, I already am successfully gluing my existing pieces using regular old BSI epoxy, in low-stress applications. I'm not looking for new glues, I'm wondering whether it is possible to improve epoxy bond strength by texturing the print surface.

Ok. I just wanted to understand.

I like your idea of a twist lock nosecone. Might you be willing to share more details about it or maybe even an STL file?
It is reasonably well documented here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/diamond-cutter-build-thread.129671/post-1554266, and here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/biohazard-build-thread.134261/post-1623434.

I also have a little video:

I'm happy to share the STL files if anyone wants. Currently I have it in BT50, BT55 (untested), and BT60. I imagine I should post those in a different thread.

Back