Text Messages

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, what type of phone? I have seen some texts be shared between Apple devices due to Apple Account/iCloud.

iPhones can be picked up on a computer running "messages" if you've setup both the phone and computer to do so. I have mine setup that way. Only works with iMessage/whatever texts, not sms.

Not quite true.....any text you can get on your iPhone - it does not have to be iMessage - will be picked up on the Mac (or an iPad) when both it and the phone are on the same WiFi network and signed into the same iCloud account. Or at least that's how all that works for me.

It does not appear to go through iCloud with respect to actual content as message history doesn't get updated on my Mac or iPad (a WiFi only Pro) at home until the phone comes in to the house and gets on my LAN. The iCloud account business is just how the various devices know who to talk to.

I can also use my iPad to send messages when I'm, say, sitting in a Starbucks with the phone in its case on my hip. Since I have a keyboard on it, I much prefer that when I can use it. Again, both devices are on the same WiFi network there. I have no idea if there is a similar capability in the Android world or how it might work.

if the OP is looking to pick up messages on a phone that is not in his physical possession - I don't know how that could be done on either Apple or Android devices.

It cant answer the OP's original question- but his query begs quite a few ??s :rolleyes:

Is there a way to pick up text messages without the phone the message was sent to?

Are you talking about convenience or about surveillance?

For the former, you can for example install a "SMS Forwarder" app on your phone.

For the latter, there are various ways third parties might get your text messages. There could be a malicious piece of software, similar to the above mentioned forwarder. Authorities also have additional means to intercept them on the wireless level (IMSI catcher, often called "Stingray" after a particular brand) or on the network level via cooperation with the cellular provider.

Reinhard

I have an IPhone 6 and Verizon.
It is for convenience, such as if I leave my phone at work.
I will give the above links a try.
Anyone looking at my emails or text messages would be really bored. I learn from the mistakes of others and will not write anything the world can't read.

M

I've been using Google Voice for the past 5 years. It's just a web app like Gmail, so you can access it from anything; of course you can also download an app for your phone or any other device. Works great for normal texts, but I haven't been able to get pictures to work, they still go through your phone's 'normal' texting.

Anyone looking at my emails or text messages would be really bored. I learn from the mistakes of others and will not write anything the world can't read.

M

I started testing the Verizon Integrated Messaging I mentioned above. It's very simple once it's configured, BUT, you must turn off iMessaging on your phone or Verizon never knows about your messages. Once that's done it works well, but then your other Apple devices won't see the messages you send on your iPhone unless you download the Verizon app or visit the Verizon messaging website.

Steve Shannon

Last edited:

M
If you have any other kind of iOS or a Mac, you can enable iMessage on it you can view all your texts, even SMS messages. You can also see and send texts and photos to non-iMessage users. I can see all my messages on not only my iPhone, but on my iPad, iMac, and my MacBook Pro. For security reasons you can't view them via a web browser though so you need another Apple device. There are many tutorials on the web if you aren't sure on how to setup iMessage using an iCloud account.

If you don't have access to another Apple device, then one of the other apps mentioned above would be the next way to go.

Good luck,

Tony

<snip>If you have any other kind of iOS or a Mac, you can enable iMessage on it you can view all your texts, even SMS messages. You can also see and send texts and photos to non-iMessage users. I can see all my messages on not only my iPhone, but on my iPad, iMac, and my MacBook Pro. <snip>
Hey Tony, that's cool, didn't know that could be setup. Thanks!

Back