Texas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Guys,

I have moved to Texas. It is not home, but it will be where I hang my hat for 2 years.

I will have to post a could mid and low power build threads. I had to leave my high power rockets in GA.

Should I start with an Estes, NCR, or Dynastar kit?

NCR Dynastar kitbash! I kid, glad you got to take some with you. Flight location constrained?

I am in the army and my son is a senior. My family did not move. I am in an apartment so I have limited space.

College life memories 30 years later.

That's a bummer, but hopefully it'll be a fun adventure.

For a build.... what's in the pipeline for NCR?

I just received a box with a Laserhawk. I am contemplating how to build it.

Oh, please do a build thread on the Laserhawk. I have the original NCR Brighthawk and the BH-2000 that Matt Steele released as Phoenix Rocketry. Laserhawk is a
future purchase.
It is tempting to cluster it, but lighting clustered composites or a main composite and a couple of black powder motors is an art.

Fort Hood and Kileen?

Chas

Ouch. That place is an inflamed boil on the buttocks of the world. (I did two years of flight training at the community college there, so I get to say that.) Fortunately, you're located near several active rocketry clubs: The Austin Area Rocketry Group, Tripoli Houston, the NASA Houston Rocket Club DARS, several clubs in San Antonio, and a start-up in Waco. There are more, but that should get you started. The Texas launch calendar was posted near the top of this thread and should be a great resource!

You are surrounded by the best BBQ in the world, BTW. That should make the time go by more swiftly.

Welcome to Texas!

James

Welcome to the Lone Star State!

You are cordially invited to the Tripoli Houston launch site in Hearne, TX (about 1.5 hours from your new locale). Typically we launch on the second Saturday of the month, but the August launch is cancelled due to heat. September 10th is the next scheduled launch, hopefully a little cooler and no burn ban.

Greg

Since everything is bigger in Texas, it is just 7.5 hours to Argonia, Ks for AIRFEST Labor Day weekend

With 340 square miles at Fort Hood, surely the base commander could allow a couple of square miles to be used as a hobby rocket launch site when not being ground to powder by the tanks? (I used to drag race my '57 Chevy on the base, but then again, that was back in 1964 and I was in the 720th MP Battalion. LOL!)

... Fortunately, you're located near several active rocketry clubs: The Austin Area Rocketry Group, Tripoli Houston, the NASA Houston Rocket Club DARS, several clubs in San Antonio, and a start-up in Waco. ...
Hmm, DARS is Dallas Area Rocket Society, and the HOTROCS club in Waco is anything but a startup! We've (Tripoli North Texas Members) been flying with them for as long as I can remember and I started with TNT back around 2003 or so.

Tony

Hmm, DARS is Dallas Area Rocket Society, and the HOTROCS club in Waco is anything but a startup!

I regret the omission and apologize profusely. Yes, HOTROCS has been around for many years, and fly from a great field southeast of Waco near Asa. I was referring in the original post to the new NAR club starting there, championed by Jason Unwin.

The bottom line is that Chuck will have no problem finding places to fly and people to fly with. Better yet, every one of those fields gets him away from Fort Hood, the Most Dysfunctional Place in Texas™.

James

Thank You for your service!
I did some training at Fort Bliss and White Sands, but unfortunately it had very little to do with anything, so I tried to hang out near the PX and the Anti-Air Artillery Museum. White sands has missiles of various aspect at the gates to some of the rifle qual ranges, and it is usually pretty windy with a chance of pebbles in those spots, so no one leaves with less than sharpshooter, and even the soldier who pretended to forget how to shoot at all was on the plane with me to Iraq as a now "Dogface Soldier". Thankfully we all went our separate ways when we got where we were scheduled to be.
Stay away from Mexico, and keep your head on a swivel, but I had a generally hospitable 2 weeks in Texas once, and I hope you enjoy it too.

That is pretty close to the truth.

Seem like I remember you mentioning your past exploits in an old post. Will your schedule allow you to get out to one of the launches soemtime?

Last edited:
Yes. I plan on attending local launches. I may not launch at first. I may just come and take photos.

I won't be travelling to Argonia this year since I already took vacation to attend NARAM but perhaps we can meet up there next year. Quite a few folks from Texas make the trip. In fact, several of them were very helpful while I was making my L1 attempt(s).

Currently and tentatively planning on being at the Hearne launch on Sept 10. Always nice to meet fellow TRF members at launches.

I may have to visit Argonia. It may not be till next year. I want to wait so my family can meet me there. My wife is the secretary of our local club in SC.

I may have to visit Argonia. It may not be till next year. I want to wait so my family can meet me there. My wife is the secretary of our local club in SC.
My wife and her friend we were staying with while I was at an LDRS at Argonia years ago came out to visit during a launch. The thermometer read 112 under the easy-up. After about 1/2 an hour my wife looked at me and said "You guys are all nuts!" and went back to Wichita. She has since declined further invitations to launches, including my annual trek to BALLS.

Argonia is a great field but sometimes it seems hotter than Texas!

Tony

My wife and her friend we were staying with while I was at an LDRS at Argonia years ago came out to visit during a launch. The thermometer read 112 under the easy-up. After about 1/2 an hour my wife looked at me and said "You guys are all nuts!" and went back to Wichita. She has since declined further invitations to launches, including my annual trek to BALLS.

Argonia is a great field but sometimes it seems hotter than Texas!

Tony

My wife has shared that sentiment with me on more than one occasion and I haven't even been to Airfest yet !

Back