Texas Instruments calculator question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
I'm trying to program a TI-81 to do the Barrowman equation for some given variables. I have run into some problems, however. First: How do you use more variables than the X button? Second, how do you put an equals or -> sign into the equation?

Thanks

Blue

An X-button???:confused:

Nope...no buttons on my slide rule.

Oh cool! Are you trying to make a program where you the calculator asks for certain numbers, and finds out the CP?

I have a few friends who can do some wicked programming with the calculator, but my best advice for you if no one on this forum can help is to look though that ginormous manual that came with it :D

Manual? I borrowed this from my teacher. Yes rocketsonly, that is what I am trying to do, get it to ask for the variables. Rabid- That may work, though i think I've tried it before. WIll give it a shot here in a bit.

Blue

To make a program, what you do is select the make new program. Then, you press the program buttons, and a list of commands will come up. What you want to type is prompt, then pick a letter. Repeat as many times as needed. Then, when you are done, select display, then type in the equations using all of the variables you selected.

If you were just prompting all the time, a simple program that would take all of the inputted data and output them to the display would be like so:

ClrHome
Prompt A,B,C,D,E,F
((A/2)^2-B^9*CDE)/F)->G
ClrHome
Disp "Your answer is"
Disp G

Just make sure that you don't type "Disp" or "->" in the calculator, all the funtions are in the Prgm menu and the -> (store button) is above the on button.

I considered making one once, but I would have gone full out and made it graph the rocket, so it was sort of a VCP thing. Too much work.

NOTE: This is for the TI-83/84/+/SE, and probably is a bit different for the 81.

If you want to make it more user friendly, take out all of the prompts and put in
Input "Root cord length: ",A
Input "Length: ",B
etc.

Just got the TI-84 silver. I think I'll start on the program this evening.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Just got the TI-84 silver. I think I'll start on the program this evening.

That's a nice calculator..:) I have an 83+. I have a friend who made lots of "choose your own adventure" style things for books we've been reading.. So far there is Oedipus the King, Beowulf, and some others.. Rather funny...:)

Originally posted by Justin Horne
That's a nice calculator..:) I have an 83+. I have a friend who made lots of "choose your own adventure" style things for books we've been reading.. So far there is Oedipus the King, Beowulf, and some others.. Rather funny...:)

Beowulf, AWESOME STORY! We read it in my English class last year and had some fantastic discussions!

Yeah, us too. I have a practicle genius as my teacher, so it's fun.. From my school's website, here is his credentials:
B.A. English, Pacific University
M.A. English, Arizona State University
M.Ed., University of Idaho
Ph.D Educational Leadership, Gonzaga University
27 years of teaching experience
Instructor, Arizona State University
Adjunct, University of Idaho and North Idaho College
NISTAR Most Influential Teacher Award ’93, ’94, ’95, ’96
Coeur d’Alene School District #271 Special Recognition Teacher Award
National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow
Melville’s "Moby Dick," University of California at Santa Barbara
"Literature of the Holocaust," Simmons College, Boston, MA
Member, Idaho Humanities Council
Panelist, American Gathering of Holocaust Survivors National Conference

So yeah, quite the guy!:D Right now we are reading Candide, by Voltaire. We've read things like Brave new world, and other books like that..:) Great class

Well, i tried.....

Keep getting syntax errors. I've had enough for tonite, i wish I had one of those USB keyboards for this. I hate typing with alphabetical order keys. I'll try something else tomorrow.

Originally posted by Justin Horne
Yeah, us too. I have a practicle genius as my teacher, so it's fun.. From my school's website, here is his credentials:
B.A. English, Pacific University
M.A. English, Arizona State University
M.Ed., University of Idaho
Ph.D Educational Leadership, Gonzaga University
27 years of teaching experience
Instructor, Arizona State University
Adjunct, University of Idaho and North Idaho College
NISTAR Most Influential Teacher Award ’93, ’94, ’95, ’96
Coeur d’Alene School District #271 Special Recognition Teacher Award
National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow
Melville’s "Moby Dick," University of California at Santa Barbara
"Literature of the Holocaust," Simmons College, Boston, MA
Member, Idaho Humanities Council
Panelist, American Gathering of Holocaust Survivors National Conference

So yeah, quite the guy!:D Right now we are reading Candide, by Voltaire. We've read things like Brave new world, and other books like that..:) Great class

Wow, that's amazing. My ex-English teacher also has a Ph.D, and so idoes the whole English department except one.

Back