Testing the new Rouse-Tech CD4 CO2 deployment system

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worsaer

Amateur Propulsionist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned in CSRocketry's thread, Rouse-Tech is now selling their updated CO2 deployment system, CD4.
(https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/new-products.179684/)

I had an opportunity to test it out prior to general availability, and I was pleased with the results. For my first test I retrofitted my trusty 4" Nike Smoke, which has the AV Bay in the nose cone.

Here are a few photos of the CD4 system installed.

IMG_0968_tn.jpg

IMG_0971_tn.jpg

Wired up and ready to go:
IMG_0975_tn.jpg

I used two #2 nylon shear pins, and it worked well. The disadvantage of this configuration is the CD4 not being placed below the chute, which is not ideal.

NikeSmoke_1_tn.jpg

Yet it still worked.
NikeSmoke_2_tn.jpg

I tested again, placing the CD4 on the shock cord below the chute, and it worked even better. Based on these initial tests I decided to build a new Wildman Drago just for flight testing.

Stay tuned...

Following my first experiment with my Nike Smoke, I pulled a Drago 4 XL from my build pile. Here are some photos of the AV Bay set up for dual deploy.

IMG_1014(600).jpgIMG_1017(600).jpg

The CD4, like earlier versions, uses a flange to ensure the CO2 cartridge doesn't screw too far into the CD4 unit. To save space, instead of using the flange I countersunk the holes for the CO2 cylinder to achieve the same result.

IMG_1020(400).jpg

IMG_1018(600).jpg

Here are some pics from the ground test. The forward section including AV Bay and nose cone weighs nearly 5 lbs. I used two #2 nylon shear pins and got great separation. I will be testing again with three shear pins just to see how different it is.

I had planned for the first flight two weekends ago in Bayboro NC, but could not make it. When I *can* fly it I will post some more pics.

IMG_8202 (600).jpg

IMG_8203 (600).jpg

IMG_8204 (600).jpg

IMG_8205 (600).jpg

My old version didn't have any flanges with it so I read that others had just duct taped it to the shock cord.
My CDD2 setups have both flanges and dedicated cylinder holders (threaded caps and tubes) that mount through the bulkhead, there is also a spacer that is used specifically for when not using either the flanges or the holders. but oft times I attach mine to the harness as its easy, especially with larger cylinders.

Back