Testing a new project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruined a bunch of seeed xaio boards (they stopped booting , junk), don't like them. This board display combo works well. Building in the capability to recover from a power failure during flight, and have the ability to erase the last peak altitude. Need to tweak the display for readability and comprehension. Also the colors give indications for flight readiness status. Red for erase/sensor error, blue for measuring altitude. If it stays red the BMP180 is not working or not plugged in. I had to do this because it was making me crazy wondering if the sensor was functioning or not sometimes.

Attachments

• IMG20230427232447.jpg
    IMG20230427232447.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG20230427232435.jpg
    IMG20230427232435.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
So I have about 7 ft of Kevlar thread and it's a pain to push down into the body tube any ideas maybe it's too long? I made this rocket to carry my homemade altimeters it uses the mini engines. As you can see it also uses 1/16" bass ply for the fins. I used some of the design ideas for the Advanced Alpha idea (cant remember exact name) Tech Report, but I did not make a botail.
1000028884.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230720213729.jpg
    IMG20230720213729.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
OK perfect flight on a 1/2A3-4T at 30m (98ft) measured with an Adrel for a baseline for testing my altimeters and OR predicted 120ft (optimistic). Great flight 3 to 5 mph out of the NW. Looks like the Estes 4 second delay was a little short.

Attachments

• Spark First Flight (Baseline).jpg
    Spark First Flight (Baseline).jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 0
So I have about 7 ft of Kevlar thread and it's a pain to push down into the body tube any ideas maybe it's too long? I made this rocket to carry my homemade altimeters it uses the mini engines. As you can see it also uses 1/16" bass ply for the fins. I used some of the design ideas for the Advanced Alpha idea (cant remember exact name) Tech Report, but I did not make a botail.

Use a crochet hook and braid in a chain stitch. Tim at Apogee Components has a video show you how to do this.

It makes getting the cord into the BT easier and also prevents the cord from tangling plus absorbs some energy as the braid pulls apart reducing recovery system shocks.

Very cool! Do you have a github? I've had a project like this brewing in my head for a long time, i have all the parts, now just need to put it together and write the code. I want to make a baro only dual deploy altimeter that is as off-the-shelf and approachable as possible. I think there are a lot of HS and college hackers out there in rocketry that would love to have a simple, cheap, open and working system to hack on.

btw, i have that seeed xaio board. Interesting that you don't recommend it, thanks for posting that

No git not ready for that was coding last night to get new features written in and trying to simplify as much as possible and let the app do the heavy math. So testing is going well going to be slow. Flying one this week weather pending.

Very cool! Do you have a github? I've had a project like this brewing in my head for a long time, i have all the parts, now just need to put it together and write the code. I want to make a baro only dual deploy altimeter that is as off-the-shelf and approachable as possible. I think there are a lot of HS and college hackers out there in rocketry that would love to have a simple, cheap, open and working system to hack on.

btw, i have that seeed xaio board. Interesting that you don't recommend it, thanks for posting that
That board had bricking issues and had to hit up the forums and its non stop complaints I threw them out one was DOA and the others bricked constantly, but you may have luck

Flew last Estes altimeter today twice I think it's reading a little high because on the 1/2A 3T it was 136 ft where the adrell was 98 ft, second flight A3-4t went 220 ft.
The question is which one is more accurate the adrell is contest approved I don't believe the Estes is so that might say something I'm going to make a sled for a larger rocket to carry all three altimeters The Estes the adrell and my altimeter and see what the difference is between the three of them they'll take me cutting out a sled on the laser and put it in my 1340 oversized rocket and sending it on a d.

I was working at 2:00 a.m. on my altimeter The logging one and successfully saves everything to memory and I have the ability to read any race it through the computer This is my second design it has no screen so it's a little bit lighter. It uses the ESP8266,
The ESP8266 is a little wider than the airframe that I'm currently flying but I might go with a custom board after I get things sorted out.

Ok getting close on one version just need to tweak some stuff, initial stairs test (which requires me holding the project powered up by a battery running up and down three flights of steps to the top of my house) works and here's the screenshots. This has been a major pain in the butt but things are getting better so the initial tests all work I will add better screens and finish formatting later on after I see that it actually works on a rocket. But I'm kind of stoked just took a while to work out all the bugs to this point. The -123.2 m was before it stabilized and corrected for pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_20230811_211220.jpg
    IMG_20230811_211220.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230811_211312.jpg
    IMG_20230811_211312.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230811_211337.jpg
    IMG_20230811_211337.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230811_211248.jpg
    IMG_20230811_211248.jpg