Tested see post 5 ??? Decals and clearcoat over Mylar tape???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am finishing the foam parts of my MIRV with black Mylar tape, which is coming out really well (for me, anyway:wink:)

I am going to do a test section, but wondering if anyone has experiencing putting water slide decals on over Mylar, and clear coat over Mylar.
Is Mylar tape essentially the same as monokote?

Last edited:
WOW! Now, this is a new question!! I have no idea!! I suspect if the decals are high quality you should be OK. The RC guys might have a better grip on this. BTW--Just to put your heart at ease--the JQ is back online!--H

It's a polyester film, so decals should have no trouble going on it. I'm pretty sure the aluminum is between the film and the adhesive, so the clear coat shouldn't affect the shine.

kj

It's a polyester film, so decals should have no trouble going on it. I'm pretty sure the aluminum is between the film and the adhesive, so the clear coat shouldn't affect the shine.

kj

Exactly Ditto KJ: Polyester film should accept waterslide decals no problem. If you feel you must clear coat make sure it is with one of the UV resistant clears
Krylon 1305 Gloss or 1309 Matte. Personally I'd go with Pledge with Future rather then a spary clear, totally your call.

Krylon UV resistant clears 1309 Matte & 1305Gloss_05-05-12.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_5202.jpgIMG_5203.jpgIMG_5204.jpgIMG_5207.jpg

Der MicroMeister is right as usual. Decals went on great over the Mylar Tape. Tape is on the Sustainer and Booster bodies, the fins are paint over papered balsa

Back