• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Terry McCreary's Experimental Composite Propellant Book

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
If anyone has a copy laying around they're looking to get rid of, please PM me. :)

Yes, this is fair warning to get in the bunker.

Er, Um links for the OP? I googled and see Loki and Aerocon still have it listed/offered.
Dave Rose offers it too: https://www.rimworld.com/book/purchase.html Me suspects Matt might be looking for a bargain but nothing wrong with him asking. If someone has a beatup copy I'm sure he'd appreciate it for a bit of a discount.

I heard there was a 2nd edition in the offing but I hear the good doctor is experiencing some health issues that precludes a follow-on. Sad thing. Kurt

I have no problem paying full price for one. I just figured that if anyone has a copy they aren't planning on using anytime soon I'd take it off of their hands. :)

I have no problem paying full price for one. I just figured that if anyone has a copy they aren't planning on using anytime soon I'd take it off of their hands. :)

....... And if it's used, should get a better deal than retail. It's not that it's out of print or anything like that. Me suspects that most folks want to hang on to theirs unless they've left the hobby. If that's the case, they probably aren't monitoring a group like this anymore.:facepalm: Best of luck and be careful. Always remotely test at a far distance away unless you are simply burning a grain out in the open to see what it looks like as a road flare. If it's a colored motor the color you see at atmospheric may end up radically different when the grains are in the case and under pressure. Kurt

If anyone has a copy laying around they're looking to get rid of, please PM me. :)

Yes, this is fair warning to get in the bunker.

Matt- I may still have a copy but no promises. I sold my mixer years ago and got out of EX when I got lazy. It really is so much better now with many new formulae and effects. Learn about BurnSim and how to understand what's going on inside a pressurized motor. Nozzle geometry is crucial to success here. I have no doubt you'll be a wizard in no time! I reviewed and edited a safety manual for EX guys for a buddy of mine prolly 15-18 years ago-I'll see if I can find a copy for you. Stay safe-get all the best safety gear you can including commercial grade respirators. Positive flow air supplies help too. Nag, nag, nag!-Papa Seagull

Quick question about the book.

I'm getting back into rocketry and need to redo all my certifications. So I can't post in the Research forum until I do.

Is this book still valid or have enough things changed where there are newer resources I can study?

The goal is to build a "P" motor for a rocket I'm building.

It's nice to be getting back into the saddle again!

Chuck

Still a valid book. The basic chemistry and processing hasn’t changed since the dawn of time. There are possibly some new additives and the like but the basic knowledge will serve you well. A copy of burnsim also really helps.

I’ve helped with several successful P motors, takes a while to get to that scale.

Tony.

Thanks for that Tony. Good to know.

Yeah I'm going to need some help getting this motor together.

Looking forward to it.

Chuck

I think I own this book. I have either version 1 or 2 but I may own both.

Hi Chuck,

There's only one version. Different covers.

Off-topic: several people have suggested that I come up with an electronic version. The main issue I have is this: when you buy a physical book, you own that book. Short of jackbooted thugs breaking down your door and confiscating it, that book ain't going anywhere. When you buy an electronic book, you have for all intents and purposes a license to read that book. And your license could disappear without warning:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106989048

Granted, that article describes a situation where it may have been legal/appropriate for Amazon to delete the book. For most e-books this should not be a problem. However, if the NannyState(TM) should decide that the knowledge in a particular e-book is unfit for human consumption, dangerous, subversive, whatever...

Best -- Terry

Ok. I think an electronic version would be awesome and much cheaper to produce.

I have sent a couple of emails asking about international postage to Australia on this (over nearly eight weeks total time) and have not received any replies. Is Dave Rose still active, or on holidays or something?

[EDIT] Update: All good. He just got back to me and is checking if he can ship to me.

Last edited:
Back