Terrier Sandhawk (Terrier)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
Well, I pretty much finished the MI, and on the last days of my spring break I figured I better start my next project. ;)

This is actually 2 rockets in one. When I got my Sandhawk, it was crying to be made 2 stage, so I incorperated some rods so I could eventaully stick a booster on there. Well I had some money about 2 weeks ago so I ordered some parts and did the equations so the rocket was accurate in its scale features.

now I didnt want this to just be a booster so I ordered another tube so this could fly single stage by itself on its own motor.

here is the pic of the parts. There are 2 5.5" tubes for the airframe, a 3" motor tube, 2 5.5" couplers and a peice of 4" tube. The 4" tube is to make the transition. I just need to buy some wood for the CRs andd fins and I will start putting stuff together

Here are the tubes wrapped in 6oz glass which I just finished measuring, I will probably go and add some resin in a couple minutes

by the way, if the tubes look fuzzy, thats because they are, I peeled the glassine off for betterr epoxy adhesion, I would have liked to use Phenolic tubes but only after I ordered them did I realized 5.5" phenolic tube existed

:kill:

I just finished glassing the tubes, what a paint, it wasnt that it was any harder than usual but since I peeled the tubes they were extremely absorbent. I mixed up more epoxy than one ever should ;)

anyway I finally got it done and they are curing next to the fire.....wow that was quite a headache.

Pics to come.

the tubes glassed, much sanding ahead....and that bubble...man this was a rough glassing job.

since curing tubes always got in the way and since putting them next to the woodstove turned the drying time from 8 hrs to about 1.5 I decided to make this little hangers, they are actually made out of coat hangers which I cut in half an rebent....worked real well.

The white spots and color differences, although some of them look very convincing, are not bubbles but the tube where is absorbed different amounts of resin

Ryan,

Even though the rocket is still in the EARLY stages of construction, it looks like it will turn out great. I am impressed with your ability to 'glass, keep it up!

Jason

well school is out and work has started agian. I have all the parts minus the 3/8" ply I am using for CRs and the interstage coupler. Pictures coming soon

here is the motor mount with 1 half inch CR. This will be where I anchor the Shockcord so i wanted it to be extra strong. On the bottom is the beginning of the interstage coupler. I cut off a peice of glassed tubing and stuck it on the coupler so when added to the booster it would be just the right scale.

got some work done today, here is the hole rocket minus the nosecone, with the fins dry fitted in. The rocket will fly like this when in single stage mode

here it is as the booster for the SH, notice the small ring on the top, that is cut from the other tube so the booster would be perfect scale. That is part of the interstage that will be finished later.

last for the day, the MMT outside of the airframe, only the middle ring is glued on

more work done, here is the fin unit (actually only 2 fins are glued on :p ) I made huge fillets so when i tip to tip them it is easier to lay the glass across

here is the interstage coupler. the tube on the rigth fits over the unit on the left. the White part of the thing on the left slides into the bottom of the Sandhawk (there will also be interstage rods)

If you look above the top CR on the part on the left you will see a line, I will cut out little triangular peices of wood then foam and glass this area forming a transition

here are the guide rods, they are different lengths so that when I load the SH it will be easier to put it on, one rod at a time. I am threading them as they will be held in with nuts and removable.

Back