Terran 1: Relativity Space's 3D-printed Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't make it to orbit. Has anyone made it first try?
As far as I know, no they haven't. In an interview with the CEO of Relativity during Spaceflight Now's coverage they said no one had gotten to orbit on the first try. But getting to stage separation and attempted second stage ignition was quite a bit of progress, especially considering the unique construction of this rocket.

Last edited:
really enjoyed the first stage blue flame!

congrats Relativity.

Didn't make it to orbit. Has anyone made it first try?

As far as I know, no they haven't. In an interview with the CEO of Relativity during Spaceflight Now's coverage they said no one had gotten to orbit on the first try. But getting to stage separation and attempted second stage ignition was quite a bit of progress, especially considering the unique construction of this rocket.

Of "first orbital rocket" from private companies, I only recall Pegasus succeeding on the first launch.

Atlas V has a 100% success rate, including its first flight. Antares' first demo flight also was successful.

The Saturns also made it on their first flights, but they were not privately developed.

If they got to MECO then that means they passed Max-Q, right? It sounded like that was one of the big milestones they were hoping to achieve. Given the radical newness of the construction technology of the rocket, I'd say this was a pretty good first attempt.

If they got to MECO then that means they passed Max-Q, right? It sounded like that was one of the big milestones they were hoping to achieve. Given the radical newness of the construction technology of the rocket, I'd say this was a pretty good first attempt.
Correct. Max-Q was maybe 1/2 way between liftoff and MECO.

Back