Terminal blocks on Eggfinder Mini?

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by amiliv, Dec 10, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Dec 10, 2019 #1

amiliv

amiliv

amiliv

The answer is likely going to be now way, but worth the shot...

I've JST connector wires soldered directly into Eggfinder Mini PCB. Since the wires are braided, they tend to break at solder joint (because they wick solder, which makes braided wire brittle). Which are then minor pain in the butt to resolder (less of a problem), or could fail in flight (bigger problem). So, I'm looking for the way to solve this...

One possibility might be JST connectors with solid wire leads... AFAICT, no such beast exists...

The other solution might be terminal blocks or some other type of connector... But Eggfinder Mini is tiny, I'm doubtful anything would fit...

Anyhow... Has anybody else run into this problem... And managed to solve it?

2. Dec 10, 2019 #2

sl98

sl98

sl98

amiliv likes this.
  3. Dec 10, 2019 #3

amiliv

amiliv

amiliv

Hmmm... That's neat. OK. I'll try doing that...

4. Dec 10, 2019 #4

cerving

cerving

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry TRF Sponsor TRF Supporter

A little dab of hot melt glue works good too.

g.pitts likes this.
  5. Dec 11, 2019 #5

woferry

woferry

woferry

That's what I do. My work involves lab work on electronics and hot gluing wires is the common technique for strain relief. Our rework technicians just use the soldering iron to take a bit off the end of a raw hot glue stick and form it around the wire(s). Clean the hot tip when done, obviously.

6. Dec 11, 2019 #6

g.pitts

g.pitts

g.pitts

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

As others have said, the best solution is to secure the wires at and just beyond the point where the solder has effectively turned nice, flexible multi-strand wire into what is effectively a single conductor wire. This prevents the "single conductor" from moving around and breaking. You absolutely would NOT want solid conductor wire in my opinion. That basically guarantees that you have the original concern along the full length of the wiring run. The phone company was successful using solid conductor wiring in homes for all those years by securing it into place along its run.

7. Dec 11, 2019 #7

amiliv

amiliv

amiliv

Thanks all! The hot glue sounds as interesting alternative. Though, I'll probably go for running the wires under the heat-shrink. Wish the design of the Mini allowed for a mechanical attachment of wires (terminal block, some small connector, ring terminal, or whatever else), even if it meant PCB that is a few millimeters longer. But it's still great little device :)

I can already see the stress from handling it already taking its toil on the connection, and now that I'm working on a small 38mm bay, these would be destined to fail at most inopportune moment sooner or later...

IMG_20191210_224344.jpg

8. Dec 12, 2019 #8

GrouchoDuke

GrouchoDuke

GrouchoDuke

+1