Term for those who wear the mask only over the mouth.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Soon A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens will be airing.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
An unexpected hazard of wearing a mask:

I sometimes have a bit of a habit of semi-consciously speaking out loud my thoughts. Usually it's very quiet and muted, and no one actually notices or hears it, but the point is that I might say something out loud that I did not consciously mean to, and that might be...."inappropriate". This (admittedly bad) habit is somehow easier to slip into if I'm wearing my mask. I guess my brain thinks that since I'm wearing something over my mouth (and nose by the way) no one can hear me.

So, this morning I'm in a store and a guy walks in who of course is wearing his mask pulled down so that it's just over his mouth. I came THIS CLOSE to saying "Dick Nose" out loud pretty much right to his face. I do believe the gentleman in question (who was quite large) wouldn't have appreciated this, and likely would have commenced to kicking my ass.

It's a dangerous world out there folks. Wear your mask, wear it properly, be safe. But maybe keep your mouth shut too....it could save a life!

s6
I also vocalize my thoughts about incorrect mask wearing. And I don't care if they hear me. Mostly I just say moron or idiot.

Funkworks

Reaction score
Comedian
bc982630-639b-11ea-aec6-374d01ab1b9e.png

(Howie Mandel. And the joke here is that he's a germophobe protecting again COVID, but his equipement is rendered useless by the pipe being open-ended and looking like an elephant trunk instead, somewhat like wearing a mask under the nose. Yup, I just felt like expalining that because the open ended-pipe is way down at the edge of the picture. And also, I have to work, but it's Sunday and I'm mentally not in a hurry, but anyway, gotta go now).

TheTank

Reaction score
Like the doofuses that can't even follow the giant arrows on the floor in the grocery store (in all fairness, many of which are masked/gloved up too)... the stupid is strong among us.

If you think of the absolute dumbest person you know... then realize that they are probably of "average" intelligence, and half the world is dumber than they are... your expectations dramatically decrease.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
They had arrows on the floor in the Wal-Mart in my town for a while, but they are gone now. I felt it complicated shopping more than it needed to and probably didn't help much anyway. I recently switched from doing most of my grocery shopping at Kroger's to Wal-Mart and still don't know the store layout well enough to have my store list in the order to minimize my path through the store. The one way aisles got very aggravating.

In my experience there are two groups of people that are the least likely to wear masks in stores. 1) Middle aged guys buying tools and hardware; 2) families with little kids at the grocery store.

NateB

Reaction score
We went to an amusement park a few times this summer. They lines tapes on the sidewalk where you wait for rides each 6' or more apart and counting for the turns in the railing and the lines snaking back and forth. Even my 4 year old son understood what those lines were for without a second explanation. If he can get it, and adult should have no trouble.

TheTank

Reaction score
We went to an amusement park a few times this summer. They lines tapes on the sidewalk where you wait for rides each 6' or more apart and counting for the turns in the railing and the lines snaking back and forth. Even my 4 year old son understood what those lines were for without a second explanation. If he can get it, and adult should have no trouble.
one would think... but there is nothing common about common sense.

KBlack

AP abuser, Lithobraker, Shaper of plastics.
Reaction score
My preferred term for them is "chinbreathers."

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've found that for disposable-type masks or any other type with the wire stiffener over the nose, I shape the wire to the nose first, then remove it and squeeze the sides of the nose wire together somewhat. When I put it back on, it conforms quite well to the bridge of the nose, and there's much less fogging of my glasses. Occasionally the mask may need to be removed and the wire adjusted, but it's a small price to pay for being kind to your fellow humans, right?

Best -- Terry

AHansom

Reaction score
Luckely we are allowed to take off the mask when on the firing line. The stock pushes the mask sideways and fogs up my shooting glasses. No trophy presentation this year, last couple years were good. I have been trained and fit tested in the proper use of N-95 masks. Use them at work quite often in infected areas.
IMG_7248.JPG
IMG_8832 2.JPG

SharkWhisperer

Reaction score
I would rather be able to see instead of looking through fogged up glasses. Deal with it
Rainex or a dryer softening sheet will prevent that entirely. Lab trick. Works.

As mentioned above, properly fitting, particularly the top margin over the nose, goes a long way, too.

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
my son was telling me about being in a public place and the guy reached up and pulled down his mask, then sneezed, then put the mask back up

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
my son was telling me about being in a public place and the guy reached up and pulled down his mask, then sneezed, then put the mask back up
The amount of stupid people is amazing. I'm surprised we haven't become extinct.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone has troubles with glasses fogging up you can put a strip of micropore tape along the top edge of the mask to the face. Works a treat. Just keep it sufficiently below the eyes or it is annoying.

Yes, I have seen a couple of people take their masks off to sneeze too.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Social distance and you don't need a mask. Fauchi said that I don't need to wear a mask. Now he says wear 2. Go figure......

Sluggo

Reaction score
Like the doofuses that can't even follow the giant arrows on the floor in the grocery store (in all fairness, many of which are masked/gloved up too)... the stupid is strong among us.

If you think of the absolute dumbest person you know... then realize that they are probably of "average" intelligence, and half the world is dumber than they are... your expectations dramatically decrease.
I was taught to always look up.

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The amount of stupid people is amazing. I'm surprised we haven't become extinct.
To your first point, just remember, by definition, 50% of people are of below average intelligence.

To your second point, the only word you left out of your sentence is "yet". Mother Earth is trying to kill the human infestation that is killing her. She just hasn't found the right method yet. Virus, pestilence, climate change. She's working hard on the problem...

Sluggo

Reaction score
But have you ever noticed that (that) stupid person knows something that you don't.?? A doctor looks pretty stupid when the wrench comes along and changes his tire for him. People can be soo judgmental. It takes all types to see you and I through a day.

Lets look at animal cruelty. A dog makes a mistake and gets knocked around by someone who makes a $2,000 mistake at work. Sometimes I wish dogs could bite.

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
But have you ever noticed that (that) stupid person knows something that you don't.?? A doctor looks pretty stupid when the wrench comes along and changes his tire for him. People can be soo judgmental. It takes all types to see you and I through a day.
You are right that it takes all kinds to get through. We should respect all people’s area of expertise. But I think the point about stupidity is that it’s stupid not to take the doctor‘s advice about preventing the spread of disease. That’s the doctor’s area of expertise. Follow the doctor’s lead on disease, and follow the wrench’s lead on tires, and we will probably all be better off.

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Lets look at animal cruelty. A dog makes a mistake and gets knocked around by someone who makes a $2,000 mistake at work. Sometimes I wish dogs could bite.
We're not being judgmental, we're stating a fact. Not wearing a mask properly, given the knowledge that exists today about this disease, is inexcusable. Stupid is as stupid does.

For the record, dogs can and do bite. When they do they can get punished, even put down. The owner knocking around the dog can be punished as well if caught.

What's the punishment for wantonly not wearing a mask and spreading a serious disease to someone else? It's akin to a hit-and-run, which is a crime. An innocent person is harmed by a reckless one. If the person contracting the disease dies, should the mask-less ignoramus be charged with manslaughter? Makes sense to me, except you can't tie person A to person B, so they get away with it. In the end, it's still a crime.

I view all mask-less people (barring those with mitigating medical conditions) as criminally negligent. Period. Oh, AND stupid.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
...But I think the point about stupidity is that it’s stupid not to take the doctor‘s advice about preventing the spread of disease. That’s the doctor’s area of expertise. Follow the doctor’s lead on disease...
..given the knowledge that exists today about this disease, is inexcusable. Stupid is as stupid does...
So is obesity, smoking, and living unhealthy lifestyles. These people make up a huge chunk of COVID19 deaths, which turned a flu into a pandemic. Do all you snarky mask-shamers in this thread wag your finger in these people's faces, too?

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So is obesity, smoking, and living unhealthy lifestyles. These people make up a huge chunk of COVID19 deaths, which turned a flu into a pandemic. Do all you snarky mask-shamers in this thread wag your finger in these people's faces, too?
Not comparable. Your eating too many big macs is not going to kill me, but your not wearing a mask could.

SIDE NOTE - I live in PA, everyone wears a mask. Traveled this last week to the midwest, CO, and MAYBE 1/2 the people wear a mask. Anyone who states it is their right NOT to wear a mask is selfish. Period.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
To your first point, just remember, by definition, 50% of people are of below average intelligence.

To your second point, the only word you left out of your sentence is "yet". Mother Earth is trying to kill the human infestation that is killing her. She just hasn't found the right method yet. Virus, pestilence, climate change. She's working hard on the problem...
I’ll pull an @neil_w here.

50% of people are below MEDIAN intelligence;)

as to your second point, man is the one of the few if only creatures that has outmaneuvered his own population control (up to this point), with the exception of solar power (which is a huge amount of energy, but still finite) Earth is a closed system with limited resources and world population growth cannot logically continue indefinitely on this planet. Going to Mars is cools, but definitely will never be a solution to offload the upcoming BILLIONS of individual human lives above our current population expected by the end of the current century. And unless we do come up with BOTH a Faster Than Light (FTL) Space Bus that works as well or better than @neil_w ‘s rockets look AND a significant number of “M-Class Planets”, our great grand children are going to be in trouble,

Currently we are at around 7.6 billion, Wikipedia puts it at 11 billion by 2088

The only question is which one (or more likely combination) of the four horseman of the apocalypse will bring the human population back into line. I really don’t see a worldwide

“Although some interpretations differ, in most accounts, the four riders are seen as symbolizing Conquest, War, Famine, and Death, respectively.”

I suspect Death would be equivalent to plague. Take your pick, Covid, drug resistant TB, drug resistant Staph Aureas, Ebola.....

the above are going to make Climate Change seem minor in comparison, and are likely just as close on the horizon.

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Those lifestyle choices only affect the person who lives that lifestyle. They increase their own risk, not other people’s risk. Not wearing a mask or wearing it improperly spreads disease to others, so it’s not the same thing. If wearing a mask improperly were only a risk to the person doing it, then I’d have no problem with it — be my guest and snort up all the viruses you like. Lick a toilet seat, if that’s your turn-on. I don’t care. Just don’t spread disease to others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
A huge percentage of people in the USA wear a mask. Seems to me it doesn't matter. The virus has skyrocketed still. Social distancing is a better way to avoid the.....plague. AKA..... The Covid - 19.

And this website is oppressive when it comes to freedom of speach. I just found that out. It edited my words. FU. Apparently the mods here love china.

Last edited: