Term for those who wear the mask only over the mouth.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
ummmm................................sarcasm, perhaps?

s6

stealth6

Reaction score
Ok, I'll spell it out, and be clear....no sarcasm or innuendo:

It is often those that think of themselves as "patriots" who steadfastly refuse to wear masks, who belittle others who do wear them as weak/anti-american/"libtards"/etc./etc.. Many of them in fact say (or rather shout very loudly) that anyone who wears a mask is showing disrespect for American values and a certain high-profile government official. Many of them cling very tightly to the flag, and disparage anyone who doesn't do likewise. You know..."patriots" (or so they would like you to believe).

Please note the use of quotation marks when I use the word patriot here (which I did in my first post as well).

For the record, I absolutely do NOT view them as patriots.
I absolutely DO have respect for actual patriots.
I do NOT view actual patriots as "stupid", "self-centered", "a-holes", etc.
Patriots actually care about their fellow citizens; mask-refusers by design do not.

d.

stealth6

Reaction score
Looking back, it seems that my post, and subsequent discussion from that, veer perhaps a bit too close to "politics".
If anyone is offended or finds that this is over the line, please say so and I will remove them (and ask that the others who quoted mine remove them as well).
And please accept my apologies.

d.

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been calling them dicknoses for months. Having your nose poke out over the top of the mask is like walking around with your dick hanging out over your waistband. No one wants to see it! Put that filthy thing away!

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing all the people who can't figure out how to correctly wear a mask made me finally understand the 20% failure rate of condoms.
That's because they wear them on their nose.

stealth6

Reaction score
An unexpected hazard of wearing a mask:

I sometimes have a bit of a habit of semi-consciously speaking out loud my thoughts. Usually it's very quiet and muted, and no one actually notices or hears it, but the point is that I might say something out loud that I did not consciously mean to, and that might be...."inappropriate". This (admittedly bad) habit is somehow easier to slip into if I'm wearing my mask. I guess my brain thinks that since I'm wearing something over my mouth (and nose by the way) no one can hear me.

So, this morning I'm in a store and a guy walks in who of course is wearing his mask pulled down so that it's just over his mouth. I came THIS CLOSE to saying "Dick Nose" out loud pretty much right to his face. I do believe the gentleman in question (who was quite large) wouldn't have appreciated this, and likely would have commenced to kicking my ass.

It's a dangerous world out there folks. Wear your mask, wear it properly, be safe. But maybe keep your mouth shut too....it could save a life!

s6

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's kinda tough to get the mask to stay there... I find myself pulling them up all the time, especially when you're trying to talk with a mask on because it tends to slip down. I can sympathize with those who just decide, "to hell with it, I'll just cover my mouth". Yes, it's not the way it's supposed to be done... but I can see why they do it.

stealth6

Reaction score
Jim
I would rather be able to see instead of looking through fogged up glasses. Deal with it
Jim,
On a serious (and hopefully not so snarky) note....there are ways to deal with this. If your decision to not wear a mask is really down to this question, it can be addressed. There are lots of links and suggestions on what you could do. Here's a couple:
For the record, I wear glasses myself, and yes having them fog up can be a hassle. But in my opinion, it's really not that much of an issue with a bit of forethought and some pretty simple remedies.

If your decision to not wear a mask is really due to something else, well that of course is a different matter.

be safe & healthy,
s6

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the thing about most (like 99%) of the masks that I see (and that my dear beloved has made for family and friends) is that they don't begin to make a good seal, especially at the nose area. So foggy glasses (and incomplete protection). I used to wear a full-face respirator at work for hours, in a hot environment, so there are ways to make a good sealing mask - they're just more expensive. Or, as stealth6 's posted link says, use tape over your nose area.

Edit: and as for the names for these folks, I just figure they're all mouth breathers... (allright shame on me...)

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, to me if you're going to wear it, wear it correctly. As I said, they're not foolproof, but better than nothing - unless you spend a shekel and get something good to 3 microns and that actually seals off your nose and pie hole. To me it's not a matter of rights or anything, it's just a small aspect of caring for our neighbors. Because this is in (or on) our hands - no matter what the gov't does, unless we personally practice good hygiene, it isn't going away.

I hope the extra measures lessen the spread of the flu this winter as well.

PatD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, to me if you're going to wear it, wear it correctly. As I said, they're not foolproof, but better than nothing - unless you spend a shekel and get something good to 3 microns and that actually seals off your nose and pie hole. To me it's not a matter of rights or anything, it's just a small aspect of caring for our neighbors. Because this is in (or on) our hands - no matter what the gov't does, unless we personally practice good hygiene, it isn't going away.

I hope the extra measures lessen the spread of the flu this winter as well.
From the questions about covid thread by cwbullet he says that the flu infection rate is down in a big way. So it seems that the measures are effective against the flu.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One would expect that, I'm glad to see it confirmed. They're both viruses (virii..?;) ), spread in the same manner.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There's a crescendo of dickering going on here.