Quantcast

Temporary launch lug

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

TomSmith58

Reaction score
Folks
I have a Mongoose 29, which is a minimum diameter high performance rocket. I want to keep it clean and use fly-away rail guides at big meets. However I do not own nor do I want to buy a 1010 rail launcher so I can fly on my own.

My idea is to use hose clamps to clamp on a temporary launch lug. I could use my 1/4 launch rod and sacrifice performance with a draggy adapter. That way I could launch on my own and not have to schedule my launches to match the local club schedule.

I might take a 4 inch section of heavy wall 29mm body tube and glue a 1/4 launch lug to it. I would split the body tube opposite to the lug and slip it over my rocket. Then I would use two hose clamps to clamp it to my rocket.

What do you think of that idea?

GregGleason

Reaction score
I've used clear packing tape to secure lugs, up to 2.60" with 29mm motors. Then I remove them when I'm ready to add a permanent solution. The caveat is the surface must be able to handle the level of tackiness of the tape.

Greg

KilroySmith

Reaction score
I think your solution would work fine; but I'd probably cheat and just put a couple of wraps of stretched electrical tape around it to hold everything in place. If your rocket is painted, perhaps a spot or two of rubber cement underneath to provide resistance to sliding.

Crash-n-Burn

Reaction score
I think you can skip the hose clamps for something a bit simpler/lighter/more aesthetically pleasing/not metal. Hot glue would work fine and is removable. Your body tube sleeve would also work great.

NateLowrie

Reaction score
I think you can skip the hose clamps for something a bit simpler/lighter/more aesthetically pleasing/not metal. Hot glue would work fine and is removable. Your body tube sleeve would also work great.
Second this. Electrical tape would work well too.

watermelonman

Reaction score
My minimum diameter rockets have this -

Unconventional to be sure, but it has worked extremely well for me.

Scoops

Reaction score
Have you considered building a simple 1010 rail pad? I know buying one is really expensive. I built one for about $100 in parts from McMaster-Carr and a local metal shop when i started doing high power rockets. This way I can build everything with rail buttons or use a fly-away guide and launch smaller rockets on F's and Gs at a field nearby whenever works best.

If you want I can post pictures of the pad.

Steve
L2