"Temple Grandin" on HBO

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyAtl

Reaction score
Anyone see "Temple Grandin" on HBO the past week? It's an excellent film depicting certain events in the life of Dr. Temple Grandin, an expert in animal behavior and cattle, who happens also to be autistic.

At about the 51st minute in the movie, the 16 year old Temple succeeds in duplicating a forced perspective room, and her science teacher helps her celebrate by launching his model of a Little Joe II QTV! It appeared to use a large black powder motor, with a little bit of effects sweetening (to generate flames and fireballs) just before launch.

The movie was filmed in the Austin area, so I bet there must be someone lurking around here who assisted the filmmakers with that launch.

By the way, in interviews, Grandin mentions the model rocket club that was part of the special school she went to. This would've been in the 1964-65 time frame, near Rindge, New Hampshire. The teacher's name was Carlock. I know it's a long shot, but anyone around here with any connection to that?

I just saw the movie last night and it was an excellent film (I am not too familiar with autism at all) and the Clare Danes was amazing in her portrayal of Temple Grandin. But I also definitely noticed the Little Joe II QTV as well. I told my wife I have one of those at home I am actually thinking of flying this coming weekend. Historically therefor the film is inaccurate! LOL I believe that must be a Sheri's Hot Rockets LJ2. It was quite large and that is the only LJ2 QTV model that big commercially available in kit form that I know of. I built mine a couple of years ago and believe me this is a good old rocket kit requiring extensive effort with mostly scratch built parts, other than the corrugated wrap on. And the body tube is like a super heavy duty carpet tube and took extensive effort to get a smooth finish over the extremely rough and fuzzy tube. It ended up being a nice kit but everything is scratch built from styrene rod and plastic sheeting as well as LES dowel rods etc. It was cool seeing it in the film though.

I just saw the movie last night and it was an excellent film (I am not too familiar with autism at all) and the Clare Danes was amazing in her portrayal of Temple Grandin. But I also definitely noticed the Little Joe II QTV as well. I told my wife I have one of those at home I am actually thinking of flying this coming weekend. Historically therefor the film is inaccurate! LOL I believe that must be a Sheri's Hot Rockets LJ2. It was quite large and that is the only LJ2 QTV model that big commercially available in kit form that I know of. I built mine a couple of years ago and believe me this is a good old rocket kit requiring extensive effort with mostly scratch built parts, other than the corrugated wrap on. And the body tube is like a super heavy duty carpet tube and took extensive effort to get a smooth finish over the extremely rough and fuzzy tube. It ended up being a nice kit but everything is scratch built from styrene rod and plastic sheeting as well as LES dowel rods etc. It was cool seeing it in the film though.

I saw the movie a while ago, but I just assumed it was large Centuri model....
https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/catalogs/71cen33.jpg

Sheri's is larger than Centuri's.

I saw the movie when it first ran on HBO months ago (last year?).

Definitely not the 1/45 Centuri kit. Too small for what was shown.

Almost certain it must have been a Sheri's QTV kit. The size looked right for that.

- George Gassaway

Back