Tell me something you/someone else did that was really stupid and the lesson learned.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flew a rocket I had put so much work into. Featured experimental 3d printed centering rings. Only problem was that they were not solid bulkheads....
No chute-Splat.
Definitely won't do that again.
20221015_124620.jpg

Stupid action:

When I was a young teen, I loved playing with fireworks and my older brother encouraged playing it indoors. Later when we moved to a house, I was bored one day so I lit a skyrocket and put it in the toilet.

Then it blew out both bottom sides of said toilet!

Lessons learned:
  1. Water is incompressible and will exert force enough to break a toilet if there is a small explosion.
  2. How to replace a toilet.
  3. I could pull one over on my parents by saying I plunged the toilet too hard and broke it.

Last edited:
When you parents tell you the forge is off limits, listen.
We had free range of our home town and dad's shop - minus the forge. We were not to mess with the forge.
My brother and I were about 12 for him and 15 for me when one late spring day he decided he needed the forge for something. He tried to light it and could not get it to take.
He added a couple of cups of stove oil and still no go. He used every match in the book and still nothing. He went back to the house for more matches. When he struck the first match and stuck it down
next to the coal a sudden WHHHOOOOMP!
The flash burned his eyebrows off as well as most of his hair. He was in a state of panic on what to do.
Since it was about a week before school got out I came up with the plan to go get our "summer crew cuts" a little early. We hunted for every piece of change we could find to
come up with the $5 for our two haircuts. We were still about $1.25 or so short.
Well, we'll pick up beer bottles on the way into town. So here we are walking the 7 miles to town collecting beer bottles for a couple of hair cuts.
We were still short by the time we made town. The barber agreed to cut our hair, but we needed to pay the remainder as soon as we could.
When mom and dad asked, we just said it was hot, and left it at that.
Many years later we were reliving quite a few of the things we did as kids. I started to mention the forge incident my brother frantically waving his arms, shaking his head no and mouthing NO NO NO!!!
Mom knew quite a few things we did, that one until I told her some 30 years later was not one of them!

Stupid Action:

I once tried to light a stubborn pile of logs in a wood stove (set inside my fireplace)...with a small squeeze bottle of gasoline that I had used for my gas RC car.

I proceeded to squirt the gas and then mist the remainder into the wood stove.

I lit it and a huge fireball came out at my face and I jumped back while brushing away the flames that were licking at my chest.

Lessons learned:
  • Gasoline isn't just flammable... it's explosive.
  • How a fuel-air bomb is made.
  • That it is humanly possible to jump backwards 6ft or so from a crouching position.
Luckily I kept all my facial hair.

I was probably 10 or 11 and a few of us kids went hiking with my dad and one of his best friends, who's son was also in our group. My dad and his friend grew up running around in the same woods, so they were excited to join us too. It was a sunny day in February, so it was cold but pleasant enough.

During our hike, we came across a vine hanging in just the right spot across a creek to jump up and grab. We briefly questioned if it was strong enough to hold us and it was decided that the smallest person (me) would go first. I jumped up, grabbed the vine to take a big swing and it promptly snapped sending me into the creek. Remember it was February?

1. Take off your coat and hat before you do something like this. We had walked a little over a mile to the woods, so I had to walk home cold and wet.

2. Dads will encourage bad but fun ideas when moms aren't around.

Years ago my father was heavily into ice fishing, so I got him a set of ice rescue picks same as the ones I have here:

20221212_200216.jpg

I told him how they work...basically just drape them around your neck and if you fall through the ice, it'll give you that bit of grip needed to pull yourself out.

Years later he confessed to me that he and his friends fell through the ice and had to be rescued by helicopter. If that wasn't bad enough, he was so delirious when they tried to help that he fought them off.

I asked him about the rescue picks I gave him. He said he had left them in the car.

Lessons learned:
  • DON'T go out on the ice if you're not prepared in case you fall through.
  • A safety device is 100% ineffective if you don't have it or don't use it.
  • The time that you don't bring a safety device is the time you'll need it.
  • Thank a first responder any chance you get.

Stupid Action:

I once tried to light a stubborn pile of logs in a wood stove (set inside my fireplace)...with a small squeeze bottle of gasoline that I had used for my gas RC car.

I proceeded to squirt the gas and then mist the remainder into the wood stove.

I lit it and a huge fireball came out at my face and I jumped back while brushing away the flames that were licking at my chest.

Lessons learned:
  • Gasoline isn't just flammable... it's explosive.
  • How a fuel-air bomb is made.
  • That it is humanly possible to jump backwards 6ft or so from a crouching position.
Luckily I kept all my facial hair.
My former boss was making a rum roast. The recipe called for a lot of rum. Everything was moving along just fine, juices bubbling away. When it looked close to done, she opened the oven door and found out what a backdraft explosion was. It blew her across the kitchen, plus took all of her eyebrows and eyelashes and some of her hair. She was OK, but understandably very shaken up.

I had two stupid things where everyone was lucky to survive:
#1 In high school, we would go out in the woods and climb stuff. One day we decided it would be fun to climb down a small crevasse. No ropes or nothing. My friend fell and landed about 5 feet down, right next to a 30-foot drop on to broken rock.

#2 In college, I decided to take my then-girlfriend (who didn't sail) on an overnight sailing trip. I privately asked my friend who knew how to sail to bail out so he wouldn't be a third wheel. The wind picked up, it got dark, and I needed to reef the sail. I gave my girlfriend a 2-minute course in how to steer, then went forward to reef. Midway through, we did an accidental jibe then heeled over 60+ degrees. Fortunately, the boat came back up and nobody went overboard. Then the sail tore from the mast to the trailing edge. Once we finally got anchored, we collapsed into bed. In the morning, I couldn't find the stove fuel, so it was cold baked beans and cold fruit cocktail for us. On the way home, the outboard wouldn't start when we approached the Seattle locks, so we had to cadge a tow from other boaters. We arrived back at the dock about 15 minutes before my friend was going to call the Coast Guard since we were overdue. I was dead quiet the whole way back because she wasn't saying anything and I assumed she'd never want to see me again.

Completely unaccountably, my then-girlfriend not only decided to marry me, but also went sailing with me after this. She was dead quiet because I wasn't saying anything and she thought I would never want to see her again. Next May will be 29 years since that trip and we're still together.

Almost 2 years ago I built a plane that had the fuselage of a plane I had built before, and a wing that was ~2m, where the standard wing was only 1.5m. It was designed to have a really long flight time with my giant 5200mah lipos. I had built this plane in a day and a night because I had one of those random sprees of inspiration. I used a rather small motor and esc to maximize efficiency (hint hint). So I flew it and about half an hour in I lost power, and then I saw it. Smoke was pouring out the motor mount. So I tried to land it and then I lost all power and it went down. But I was lucky,
Lesson learned:
1- when flying a new plane, always have a fire extinguisher on hand, or know where the nearest hose was. When it went down it exploded into a fire because it was made of foam board. I got lucky that I landed in a patch of sand so the fire didn’t spread, and that it was safely away from the house because that would have been for obvious reasons. (I did lose most of the electronics, only the receiver and the battery surprisingly survived)
2- Don’t over work electronics, so fires and loss of control doesn’t happen
3- TAKE PICTURES, since I rushed the whole process I have no pictures. And the only surviving relic is a half burnt chunk of the tail. And I seem to not have learned this lesson yet….

Not so much stupid, but a lesson learnt:

Many moons ago I worked in a pizza shop which was 1 of a small strip of shops in a suburban area.
It was Saturday night and the Milk Bar on one side of the pizza shop suffered a blocked toilet.
They tried desperately to find a plumber to fix it, but the only plumber willing to come out on a Saturday evening was an industrial plumber.
So desperate were they to get it fixed, they agreed to pay the premium fee and got him out to unblock it.
He turned up with something that looked like one of the Sentinel’s from the Matrix movie.
Very intimidating piece of kit that had that “oh yes I can” look all over it
Anyway, he went in & got to work, doing his thing.
Problem was, somewhere under the pizza shop, the machine decided it no longer wanted to follow the plumbing and proceed to plot its own course.
Alas, a course resulting in the spinning head of the machine crashing up through the floor of the Fish & Chip shop on the other side right in the middle of the waiting area.
It was a busy night and the resulting panic and stampede out the door was quite something to behold as faeces and lots of other lovelies were hurdled in all directions within the waiting area.

Not sure what was funnier, that or the Fish & Chip shop owner closely following the stampede out pointing hysterically back, yelling “MONSTER! MONSTER!”

TP

So so many!!!!
We had a surplus parachute with the lines. We used it for all kinds of things. Pulling us cross country on a chair mounted on cross country skis, tent and so forth. The last thing we used it for was takin rides 30 or so feet into the air.
we had tied the rope to the high school football goal post and let the wind inflate it. We would sit an a self made harness for the ride. As the winds subsided so did our joy. Taking everything down we untied the rope first. BIG mistake.
Just as Curtis, my best friend untied the parachute the wind caught it. His feet were tangled in the lines. It dropped him flat on his back and drug him across the parking lot. That was not the worst of it. Southern Idaho uses cinders for darn near everything. The parking lot included. He was trying to sit up and gett out of the lines. I was running after him as fast as I could and just as I reached him the wind stopped, for a split second. Now I was tangled in the lines being drug across the grass on the far side of the parking lot. Right toward a barbed wire fence. The chute hit the fence and one pole promptly ripping in half.
when it was all done we just threw everything into the trash can. Realizing we were hurt pretty badly we made our first stop the hospital. Curtis spent about 5 hours getting the cinders out of his back side. I had two cracked ribs.
I went to school sore, Curtis missed about two weeks. When he did come back to school he carried a pillow to sit on and protect is rear. The first day he didn’t have his pillow one of the so called football jocks smacked him in the butt just as hard as he could. Curtis went down into a fetal ball in the middle of the hall. I saw the idiot that did it. I took Curtis back home, the jock got 7 days suspension.
Lesson learned? Not much really. We still did all kinds of ridiculous things. How in the world did we survive adolescence?

Last edited:
So so many!!!!
We had a surplus parachute with the lines. We used it for all kinds of things. Pulling us cross country on a chair mounted on cross country skis, tent and so forth. The last thing we used it for was takin rides 30 or so feet into the air.
we had tied the rope to the high school football goal post and let the wind inflate it. We would sit an a self made harness for the ride. As the winds subsided so did our joy. Taking everything down we untied the rope first. BIG mistake.
Just as Curtis, my best friend untied the parachute the wind caught it. His feet were tangled in the lines. It dropped him flat on his back and drug him across the parking lot. That was not the worst of it. Southern Idaho uses cinders for darn near everything. The parking lot included. He was trying to sit up and gett out of the lines. I was running after him as fast as I could and just as I reached him the wind stopped, for a split second. Now I was tangled in the lines being drug across the grass on the far side of the parking lot. Right toward a barbed wire fence. The chute hit the fence and one pole promptly ripping in half.
when it was all done we just threw everything into the trash can. Realizing we were hurt pretty badly we made our first stop the hospital. Curtis spent about 5 hours getting the cinders out of his back side. I had two cracked ribs.
I went to school sore, Curtis missed about two weeks. When he did come back to school he carried a pillow to sit on and protect is rear. The first day he didn’t have his pillow one of the so called football jocks smacked him in the butt just as hard as he could. Curtis went down into a fetal ball in the middle of the hall. I saw the idiot that did it. I took Curtis back home, the jock got 7 days suspension.
Lesson learned? Not much really. We still did all kinds of ridiculous things. How in the world did we survive adolescence?
Yikes! Lesson learned is that real parachutes aren't toys.

"Tell me something you/someone else did that was really stupid and the lesson learned."

Purpose: To entertain *and* educate others.

Request: No really bad results unless you feel it is good to learn from
I purchased my first set of nifty Jigs, Made the mistake of following the instructions too closely, and attached my launch lugs, New Nifty Jigs were not Nifty on that build.

Do explain...I'm not following and definitely curious since I'm currently building a jig myself.
If you attach the launch lugs before attaching the fins the Jigs won't be able to slide onto the tube, The lugs will be in the way. This refers to the Apogee jigs, not the Estes .

Attachments

• IMG_20221213_084648235_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20221213_084648235_PORTRAIT.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 0
I knew, just like everyone knows, that if you let the gas run in the oven for a short while before lighting it, it will go boom. When the match went out, and the box of matches was very close, and I'd only need to stand up for a second to get another one, I lit the new one and it went boom. I would have been knocked several feet back, but for the very narrow galley kitchen which left only about two fee before I was slammed into the refrigerator. As others here, there was nothing worse than facial hair loss and a short-lived back ache.

Lesson learned: "really quick" is not quick enough.

But the REALLY bad one is this. I drove two or three hours after work up to a friend's house for a weekend visit. I arrived with some twinges and spasms in my upper back, shoulders, and neck, for which I'd used a certain muscle relaxant, methocarbamol, every now and then for a log time. Methocarbamol has little or no sedative effect and was prescribed for me by doctors who knew my history and other meds*.

I didn't have any with me, but my friend has some cyclobenzaprine that she uses for much the same situations. So, I took someone else's prescription muscle relaxant. But that wasn't stupid enough.

I also arrived in the mood for a drink or two. So we had a few, and a very nice time. I ended up taking five drinks along with someone else's prescription muscle relaxant; cyclobenzaprine has a strong sedative effect. When I went up to the attic guest room, I tripped on the edge of the futon, found a pillow and a blanket within reach, and closed my eyes.

Results: the best night's sleep I've had in ten or fifteen years before or since, AND a feeling of profound shock at how bloody damned stupid I'd been. Lesson learned: I'm a stupendous idiot and lucky to be alive.

(I've had cyclobenzaprine prescribed properly since then. It works very well but knocks me out so I can barely function. I like to have some of that on hand for when the spasms start and I can afford to be knocked out, and also some methocarbamol for when I can't. The latter is available over the counter in Canada, but not here in The States. I only need either one about three or four times a year.)

* The first time methocarbamol was prescribed it was not by a doctor who knew my history, but by the on campus doctor during my sophomore year in college. This guy handed out antibiotics from two gallon bottles on his desk like candy, and prescriptions for codeine for a slight cold. I woke up one morning hardly able to stand (the spasms were in my lower back that time, even though it's the upper back that bothers me much more often) and hobbled my way into a hot shower, which didn't help, then to his office since he was the only game in town. He gave me a little envelope with twenty or so pills, and instructions to take one every four hours until I was better.

Result: I only needed one, the spasms went away like magic and I felt fine. Lesson learned: sometimes even a pill pushing quack can push the right pill.

Last edited:
Me and my best friend had a debate about what poison ivy looked like and whether or not the plant in question was poison ivy because here in the Intermountain west, it can be a really short shrubby plant. I was positive I was right so to settle the issue I broke a leaf in half and rubbed it on my hand.... I thought I would get a small rash on that area of that hand

First day of 10th grade my hands and arms were covered in really itchy blisters. I settled that debate and paid dearly. The lesson(s) learned is I'm really allergic to poison ivy/oak/mango sap. And never be too eager to settle a debate even when you are completely certain you are right.
Ken

Me and my best friend had a debate about what poison ivy looked like and whether or not the plant in question was poison ivy because here in the Intermountain west, it can be a really short shrubby plant. I was positive I was right so to settle the issue I broke a leaf in half and rubbed it on my hand.... I thought I would get a small rash on that area of that hand

First day of 10th grade my hands and arms were covered in really itchy blisters. I settled that debate and paid dearly. The lesson(s) learned is I'm really allergic to poison ivy/oak/mango sap. And never be too eager to settle a debate even when you are completely certain you are right.
Ken
Please be careful with poison ivy and associated evil plants!

I once got it all over my body (I was using moisturizing body wash which spread the oil) and it lasted months. Pure misery.

Only relief I got was scalding hot showers...would basically kill the skin nerves and give me hours of relief. The skin on my chest turned darkish purple from all the scalding, but I didn't care because that was the only way I could sleep. It eventually healed fine.

Important pointers:
  • The oil creates a molecular bond with your skin.
  • You get one free pass with poison ivy...after that your body creates a defense against it.
  • Once you get it the second time, your body rejects it...basically it's horrible since your body starts to reject your skin and the itching, pain and blisters don't stop until you naturally slough off your skin.
  • Your hands have thicker skin, so usually isn't as affected by the oil (excluding direct applications!)
  • Use liquid dishwasher detergent to wash your exposed parts...it breaks up the oils away. I now have it in my shower and use it on my arms and legs after yard work and haven't had an episode since (~20 years).
  • Ever hear that urban/rural legend of the poor camper who used poison ivy to wipe his bum in the woods? It happened to my barber. When he recounted it to me, he had the blank 1,000yd stare. o_O :eek:

• Not all people are sensitive to it at all.
  • Those who are don't all react to it the same way.
I used to only experience a very mild reaction. I could even pull the vines or leaves with bare hands and only get a few itchy blisters.

One day I was mountain biking in Michigan and managed to crash and fall into a bush with thorns and poison Ivy in or near it. My guess is the exposure was worse due to the scratches from the thorns, but I had a bad reaction covering both arms.

Since then, if I see the plant it is probably too late. Cold showers and some of the soaps for poison ivy work for me if I was exposed. I've had to get steroid shots and taper packs twice now. The first time I had to get steroids, I had taken a hot shower and must have spread the oil all over. That was an embarrassing trip to the PA at the clinic.

On hot showers and itch relief once the rash appears, the hot water can cause a histamine release. The itching will be -intense- for a moment and then will go away until the body makes more giving you a short period of relief.

• Not all people are sensitive to it at all.
TBH & IMHO That's a very dangerous statement given the way the urushiol works.

The first time I encountered it camping, I touched it and didn't get a reaction and then touched it even more that trip. Remember what I said about free pass the first time and the skin on the hands are less affected?

So I err on the side of caution and say it as a general warning because I used to think that I wasn't allergic and that was one of the worst experiences of my life...and my barber's! ;)

Poison Ivy was not the culprit.
My brother had taken all of us out to the lake on his boat. When we went to shore my nephew (sis’s son)
went behind a tree for a few moments. By afternoon he was in bad shape. Once we got home my then Mrs and my SIL Proceeded to wipe my nephew down with calamine lotion. With in minutes it was obvious that was not the right thing to do.
Ambulance ride to the hospital and a few epi injections along with some other stuff calmed down the reaction.
Turns out the nephew is highly allergic to calamine oils.
My sis’s partner was livid that we had placed the boy in danger. My sis just rolled with it. Her response was “I didn’t”t know he was allergic to it. If he came home first I would have done the same damn thing!”

TBH & IMHO That's a very dangerous statement given the way the urushiol works.

The first time I encountered it camping, I touched it and didn't get a reaction and then touched it even more that trip. Remember what I said about free pass the first time and the skin on the hands are less affected?

So I err on the side of caution and say it as a general warning because I used to think that I wasn't allergic and that was one of the worst experiences of my life...and my barber's! ;)
Indeed, one's sensitivity can change. A couple of years ago I had a conversation with a friend that went:

Him: "I must have been attacked by a swarm of little bugs. I've got a whole lot of little bites all close together."
Me: "Very small ones? All clustered together like a small raspberry?"
"Yes."
"And the itch has a sort of tickly overtone."
"Right."
"It's poison ivy."
"I don't get poison ivy."
"You do now."

Indeed, one's sensitivity can change. A couple of years ago I had a conversation with a friend that went:

Him: "I must have been attacked by a swarm of little bugs. I've got a whole lot of little bites all close together."
Me: "Very small ones? All clustered together like a small raspberry?"
"Yes."
"And the itch has a sort of tickly overtone."
"Right."
"It's poison ivy."
"I don't get poison ivy."
"You do now."
Excellent point! Yeah, I grew up thinking I was lucky to not have any allergies (including poison ivy lol) until my early twenties when they hit me big time.

Back